What's new

Man arrested after base jump from the top of Red Force

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Last Monday, two men broke into Ferrari Land to perform a base jump from the top of Red Force, the Intamin LSM giga coaster at the resort, at 112 meters.

After sneaking past security and jumping over the security fencing (lol), George King (a guy that has attempted other crazy climbs and jumps), aged 22, climbed to the top of Red Force using the coaster's track. I assumed that he would have used the maintenance elevator that leads directly to the top of the top hat, but he decided to use the drop of Red Force as a ladder instead.

When he reached the top of the coaster, he performed a base jump landing on the neighbouring car park, where he was surrounded by a swarm of security and police.

Apparently, he has given a warning against doing another stunt like this again in Spain, or else the next time he will be facing prison.

This is what he posted on his Instagram account:

I have wanted to climb this structure since 17…. But I made a pact to myself that I was going to wait until BASE before getting it under my belt. Patience is a beautiful thing… Im glad I waited.

My desire for BASE jumping first started when I was very young… probably around 10/11. I remember watching videos of BASE jumpers and so I would intuitively pretend I was BASE jumper by climbing up high trees and then jumping off them. I was very curious about the feeling it gave me… been scared… over-riding it… landing on the ground and getting a thrill out of it, I now know that as adrenaline… but I soon got very addicted to it.

I use to do it a lot at school and I remember my school made an example out of me by excluding me for doing it. They feared it may encourage others to do the same.

Now 22, I had planned to get into BASE much earlier, but when I was 17 I dislocated my shoulder in freefall when doing a skydive solo course. That completely crushed my dreams for many years.
Up until I got double surgery on both shoulders.
After the many ups and downs of this journey, now with 2 anchors in both shoulders…. it’s good to be in thick of my childhood dreams.

Once I landed I got swarmed by security/police… with no opportunity to run I decided to lay like a star fish on my back looking up at the sky from where I had fallen… laughing hysterically whilst all the authorities formed a semi circle around me looking down at me trying to work out what to do with this strange Englishman.

They then slapped me in the cells for 48 hours and handed me a 2 year suspended prison sentence.... which means no more climbs in Spain for 2 years!
Estoy muy loco!

If anybody wants to see the video, it has spread like wildfire in social media. There are some IG Stories of him climbing Red Force's track and the most viral video is him performing the actual base jump.

Even though you can see all of this in his IG account, there is a complete video of his climb and jump on Youtube:

If you ask me, the fact that somebody can so easily break into the park makes me wonder how lousy security is at PortAventura. I am sure the insurance will not be happy about this. Hopefully this will encourage the park to take action and guard their perimeter more closely and get better fencing or monitoring systems. As for the stunt itself, I cannot understand how someone can risk his life for some thousands of likes and social media praise: he could have easily died.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Having met a few jumpers and wing jumpers they certainly don't do it for the likes and views. They're a weird breed of their own and if social media didn't exist they'd be doing it anyway. They are i guess adrenaline junkies to the extreme.

Do I agree with climbing such structures and doing unsanctioned jumps. No of course not. I do get the adrenaline rush side of things but the desire to jump off structures no one's jumped before is beyond me.

They aren't alone though I suppose. Urban explorers, off piste snow boarders, surfers, mountain climbers etc etc in each community there's a kind of kudos for being the first to get somewhere or do something. Not so much to the wider public (and social media) but within their own community.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Having met a few jumpers and wing jumpers they certainly don't do it for the likes and views. They're a weird breed of their own and if social media didn't exist they'd be doing it anyway.
Was just about to say this myself. I definitely don't condone this behaviour either, and agree with Oriolat that security clearly needs some work, but I'm surprised someone hasn't attempted this previously, especially if breaking in is so easy there.

I do however think some people on Youtube/the web do it mostly for views. Take that silly Ally Law bloke on Youtube who climbed Stealth and Big One, breaking into countless other attractions for the sake of a video that is popular for a few days, it's a bit sad really when you think about it. I think in this case, an experienced base jumper wanted a new challenge, filmed it so he could relive the moment, and decided to post it too for a lil bit of clout.

100% against this though, especially climbing something which has people flying at 112mph over its tracks each day. I'm assuming the track would have had to be thoroughly inspected before opening to guests again?

Edit- Thought I'd add that in the description he states he was kept in the cells for two days and given a 2 year suspended sentence?? Doubt it's worth it if your hobby gets you that.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
100% against this though, especially climbing something which has people flying at 112mph over its tracks each day. I'm assuming the track would have had to be thoroughly inspected before opening to guests again?
Now that you mention this, something that caught my attention is that when he got to the very top of the coaster, he grabbed the rails where proxy sensors are mounted. I really hope these were checked. You know how sensitive these sensors can be, and I don't want to picture what could happen if one of these proxy sensors was misplaced even by the smallest margin.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
You know how sensitive these sensors can be, and I don't want to picture what could happen if one of these proxy sensors was misplaced even by the smallest margin.
Pretty much nothing, since the smallest margin by definition describes the limit of tolerance as strictly as possible. Beyond that margin the coaster would start throwing error messages left and right, though.

Christian

Hyper Poster
It's a hobby they have. We do too. We do it for the thrill and the sensations and the BASE jumpers do too. Albeit our hobby is completely safe and theirs is lethal. We coaster enthusiasts can also go to crazy lengths to do what we love. Others might not understand us but we carry on. In the same way I respect those jumpers for doing what they love. This hobby wont injure others. Worst thing that can happen is that the jumper goes splat. If he wants that death then that's his choice.

There is no way he damaged the actual track. That track is built to take an enormous beating form the trains. A normal guy is nothing. Sensors and electrics is an other story.

Ethan

Strata Poster
It's a hobby they have. We do too.
We coaster enthusiasts can also go to crazy lengths to do what we love
I can see where you coming from, although I think comparing these two hobbies is a bit silly.
Yes, if they fall, it's their fault. But I can't imagine being security, or staff at a park, and seeing somebody hit the ground and die. I don't think you'd forget that easily, and they wouldn't have much of a choice, it's private property and it's where they work? I know it's unlikely it would happen as they obviously have practice, but it's still a very high risk in the grand scheme of things.

Not trying to police what people should find fun, but I think to defend this sort of thing as "just a hobby, we do the same thing" is just incorrect, at least in my opinion. I'm all for people finding unique ways to get a thrill, bit this sort of thing feels a bit reckless and irresponsible to me,

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah I’d agree the climbing is the dangerous part. I dunno, I think jumping off things is cool (not that I have the balls to do it), but I don’t think you should break in and break the law to do it.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Man this just seems boneheaded. Im sure the park would have loved some free publicity and would have worked with him to make sure it was safe. Dumbass.
I completely agree with the last part, although I imagine the thrill of free-climbing these buildings and structures is part of the draw. I can't speak from experience though.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Would I do it? Would I ****

Do I love watching other people do it and seeing their footage? Absolutely

I love seeing different angles and perspectives of things.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I have the upmost respect for people who do proper official base jumps. Not so much the illegal jumps but they are all nuts.

Many years ago i looked into learning to BASE jump and its insanely expensive to do. Like many many £1000s. First obviously you need to become an experienced sky diver and sky dive courses and the following individual jumps are expensive as it is. Then you need to do an actual BASE jump course which is again very expensive. You need to prove you can land in a specific small square over and over again to pass. Then you need to buy all your own gear which guess what.... Is very expensive too. Then you need to keep up your official jumps to stay qualified. (Kind of like a pilot i guess) and those again arent cheap.

I happened to be in KL when they were jumping off the KL tower and at Heavens Gateway in China when they were wing suiting through the rock gateway (insane to see btw). We didnt even know it was happening until we were on the ridiculously long cable car up the mountain and a guy in a wing suit shot past underneath. Was a real Superman "Is that a plane?" moment

Video of the tournament a few years after i was there.

Admitedly all that money and time is just for entering into official base jumping events, I guess if you want to unofficially do it like this guy you dont need to spend all that money and get all that training. You could just buy the gear and go and do it now. I suspect however that while it significantly shortens the time and money required it also significantly shortens the time you end up doing it before accidently making yourself into a Jackson Pollock.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Wingsuiting (?) must be the ultimate adrenaline rush. Surely there
is nothing in the world that could top that feeling of flight? I mean you're basically a bird. I'd love to be in a position where it was possible to do that comfortably.

Was watching paragliders on Devils Dyke near Brighton just the other day which seems a more realistic possibility.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Wingsuiting, I'm fairly sure, is illegal in some countries as there is simply no form of insurance that will cover anyone. I think if you know that the peak of your sport, speciality, or hobby is in itself illegal, then you're probably more open to doing illegal stuff further down the pyramid.

As has been mentioned here, I imagine a lot of the thrill comes from knowing you could have your ass handed to you even if you manage to pull a jump off.

I like following guys who do this stuff on youtube. I don't necessarily condone it but I really do think its magical to see how far these people will go to experience freedom and truly hold their fate in their own hands.

I think if I see @Ethan reply to this thread again I'm going to be convinced that he is, in fact, an illegal base jumper himself.

definitely don't condone this

its a bit sad really

100% against this

this feels reckless and irresponsible

I think jumping off things is cool (not that I have the balls to do it)

I can't speak from experience though.

200.gif