What's new

"Major power cut" at CWoA

Jools

Giga Poster
I was at Alton when X Sector, Ugland and Adventureland were down for over an hour in 2005, LOL, I remember people being stuck at the top of Oblivion bless them, but I was first in queue for Oblivion after they shut it, so I wasn't too bothered, haha.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Wow! What an amazing post, really on topic, interesting and contributes brilliantly to the discussion on CWoA recent power cut! Thanks for that, can't wait to read your other posts!

Enicomb

Mega Poster
I was there. First time I'd been to Chessington. It went off at almost exactly 6:30, was really weird, we queuing for the Dodgems and it just went off; looked over and Billy Whizzer and it was slowing down and then stopped, still up the air. Walked off after they cleared the queue, saw people stuck on the lift hill and brakes sections of Dragons fury and a few stuck on the Safari monorail. I didn't see anyone on Vampire though.

We had a quick wander around the Zoo part of the park and on the way out got Complimentary tickets to return any time this season. It was very surreal. The whole park pretty much just went silent.

RCF

Strata Poster
I had something just like this happen at SFOT. We were on Titan when we stopped on the lift hill and we looked around the park and nothing was running. We were stuck for a 1 1/2.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
caffeine_demon said:
seriously - 3 hours on the monorail - why on earth does an evacuation fromsuch a simple ride take so long?

Because it was stuck over the Lion, Tiger and Sea Lion enclosures. They could have given the public big sticks to beat the animals back with as they lowered them into the cages I suppose? ;)

Enicomb

Mega Poster
furie said:
caffeine_demon said:
seriously - 3 hours on the monorail - why on earth does an evacuation fromsuch a simple ride take so long?

Because it was stuck over the Lion, Tiger and Sea Lion enclosures. They could have given the public big sticks to beat the animals back with as they lowered them into the cages I suppose? ;)

Nice idea; but they weren't. 3 hours is quite surprising.

Jools

Giga Poster
Ian said:
^ Wow! What an amazing post, really on topic, interesting and contributes brilliantly to the discussion on CWoA recent power cut! Thanks for that, can't wait to read your other posts!

Glad to hear it :lol:

Nah sorry, but what else is there to say :?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
^If you have nothing to add, then why post at all? Just saying.

Ugh I hate the way all of these articles list it all as 'Terrifying' and make it seem like a deadly situation. I'd be pretty sure that the people stuck on board would find the experience far more boring than scary.. But i guess the dramatization sells.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
caffeine_demon said:

Yes, because it's so simple to get people down from a ride where the doors are shut and is several feet above the ground... :roll: They have a cherry-picker but that can only do so much when most is not easily accessible from the ground...

It happened Saturday (6:30) and Monday (12:45), but it was an area thing, not the park's fault, I believe all the guests were fine so really nowt to be worried about...

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
furie said:
caffeine_demon said:

Yeah - I saw that mentioned in the mirror today - apparently being stranded on rides left all parties terrified, particularly the thrill seekers.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Enicomb said:
furie said:
caffeine_demon said:

Nice idea; but they weren't. 3 hours is quite surprising.

This article suggests they were - I can only go on what was reported...
Lions and tigers were on one side, sea lions on the other
SNN1815ZZ-682_869209a.jpg

Funniest thing out of this is my friend's comment to me
Furies allegedly very intelligent friend said:
To be honest the monorail wouldn’t be the worst thing to be stuck on, it isn't reliant on momentum keeping you on. If the power went on RITA you’d be screwed.

I WTF'd???

It's very similar to the evacuation on Colossus I had. They have to do each bit of the train separately and bring people down in ones or twos. Safety cannot be rushed, especially as it's surprising how many people fear heights (and wild animals :p ) and panic at the idea of having to go down ladders.

There are a fair few trains on the monorail, and I don't know if there were enough rescue workers to deal with all trains at the same time? So these things are going to take quite a while.

Enicomb

Mega Poster
I'm quite surprised. I walked over to the Sea Lions after the power went off; I didn't see that carriage though :?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
furie, they did all the trains one by one, although probs maybe for the ones near the station did them whilst the others were worked on, not entirely sure...

On Monday it took a much shorter time to evac than Saturday night... Maybe cos of the time of day...