What's new

Major Flooding at SFOG (again...)

Error

Strata Poster
Saw that on the news a little while ago.

Little sad to see something go under like that.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
It doesn't actually take much rain to put MindBender and GASM under a little bit. Right now, the worst is going to be MindBender's 2nd loop, which sets very deep into a valley with the inclined helix. I'd expect probably 1/4 to 1/3 of that loop to be under now. This usually happens about once every year, just not so bad. As long as they can dry out the footers, it'll be fine. You just may not see either coaster operate for the remainder of this season.

The sun is out today for the first time in about a week, so hopefully it's going to start to recede. Major highways are still closed here and lots of schools are cancelled, but I think in a day or two, things should start to improve.

marc

CF Legend
Looks like there is going to be a fair amount of damage there, I hope they fix what they need to and dont leave it like they did at New Orleans.

Snoo

The Legend
^It's happened a few times before, not a big deal.

SFNO is in quite a different situation then SFoG, for obvious reasons.

marc

CF Legend
SnooSnoo said:
^It's happened a few times before, not a big deal.

SFNO is in quite a different situation then SFoG, for obvious reasons.

Cheers, I have just looked up the park history and seen the info now.

wash

Mega Poster
Wow, that's really impressive. GASM deserves every drop of that and then some for trying to realign my spine. Best of luck to the other rides, though

CMonster

Giga Poster
The first thing I thought of when I saw GASM was the splashdown element on the RCT2 woodies. :lol:

That's pretty bad, though. I didn't even recognize Mindbender.

Oo that sucks! I do wonder how like, station stuff survives if it goes under water though, like wouldn't the electrical stuff malfunction? And also, if wood gets wet, doesn't it rot?

That sucks for the park though, for sure. Hopefully they can get it under control pretty soon.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Front page of my newspaper was a picture of GASM underwater. I love my newspaper, didn't know it was run by enthusiats! :wink:

Martyn B

CF Legend
Its mad that it happens so often! If that happened to a park over here, it would close for atleast 2 years.

monkeyonatable

Mega Poster
If I had a dollar for everytime this happened...

Im going on Oct. 31st, I hope Mindbender (my #3 Fav coaster) is up and running, because it isn't a trip to SFoG unless I get a spin.

A

Anonymous

That's crazy.
I hope its all ok, probably be shut for a while. Though, as already said, in the UK the park would be shut for a year or two, if opened again.

Feel sorry for everyone effected by these floods. Things like this make me happy I live on top of a hill.

Nobody answered my question! Would the wood rot and would the electrical panals in the station be broken if they came in contact with water for long periods of time?