What's new

Major coasters you never knew existed?

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Today I came across photos of Superman el Último Escape at Six Flags Mexico.

It struck me that in my many years of being into this hobby, I don't think I have ever seen a picture, POV, or heard of this coaster.

5d31d4a3-a564-45b6-825a-3a33047d91df.jpg

For such a substantial coaster at a Six Flags park that I already know about, it was odd that I didn't even vaguely recognise it.

Watched a POV on YouTube and it looks quite quirky. Presumably some here have ridden it. Is it any good?

Has anyone else similarly not known the existence of a major coaster?

Last edited:

Tulum

Mega Poster
It is a very fun coaster with quite some good airtime moments and an impressive view on the city.

I guess the major surprising coasters I stumble over are usually in some Chinese Parks.

cookie

Giga Poster
Up until a day before I rode it in 2008, I didn't know a large Intamin looper existed in central Kuala Lumpur.

I just heard we were going to a mall that my dad said had "the largest indoor park in Asia" and I assumed it'd have one or two family coasters and whatnot. Imagine my shock when I looked online and saw this. I was pretty well-versed in the coasterverse by that point already, so that it completely eluded my radar still stuns me. Shame that it doesn't ride as great as it looks.

Last edited:

hyde666

Roller Poster
Speaking of Chinese coasters, I keep forgetting Dinoconda is a thing, the only other S&S 4th dimension coaster aside from Eejanaika. It's a few feet shorter than its cousin from Japan.

costar

Mega Poster
Speaking of Chinese coasters, I keep forgetting Dinoconda is a thing, the only other S&S 4th dimension coaster aside from Eejanaika. It's a few feet shorter than its cousin from Japan.
…And it’s seriously rough. Which is a shame because it could have been quite a good ‘advert’ for the concept but I suspect it’s maintenance letting it down. I remember feeling quite bad for the old Chinese lady on the other end of my row, coz I was hurting enough! So I guess the original S&S 4D is truly finished : (

zen

Roller Poster
Up until a day before I rode it in 2008, I didn't know a large Intamin looper existed in central Kuala Lumpur.

I just heard we were going to a mall that my dad said had "the largest indoor park in Asia" and I assumed it'd have one or two family coasters and whatnot. Imagine my shock when I looked online and saw this. I was pretty well-versed in the coasterverse by that point already, so that it completely eluded my radar still stuns me. Shame that it doesn't ride as great as it looks.

Thats a pretty neat looking coaster when did it open?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Earlier on in my burgeoning coaster career, I remember being floored by the "lesser" known B&M Inverts, especially Orochi, Pyrenees, and Katun. Granted, the late 90s were very US-focused for B&M development, with many (myself included) American enthusiasts salivating at their every move.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It's always fun to browse RCDB and find something big you never knew (or remembered) existed. A name you don't quite recognize, look up, and find "whoa, does this park have such a big coaster?!?"

I decided to go through RCDB's list of coasters sorted by height and pick out a few surprise finds, coasters we certainly don't talk about too often in these forums. All of these coasters are taller than 50 m, which is a dang big coaster when you think about it. But I get the impression that these are quite rarely thought about:

A slightly taller(?) Sheikra clone operating in China:

This hypertall spinning Vekoma shuttle coaster in Taiwan:

Two scaled-down precursors to Steel Dragon 2000, operating in Cedar Fair's most forgotten parks:

The new home of the Japanese Stealth clone, in Russia:

The only Intamin FlyRider ever built:

The Turkish iSpeed clone:

Pop quiz question: Which park built Vekoma's tallest-ever non-shuttle coaster? This defunct place in South Korea:
(and it's going to Indonesia, apparently!)

Quick, name all the Mr. Freeze clones and semi-clones! Chances are you missed this one in Indonesia:

This 50m custom Intamin LSM coaster in Turkey:

cocoa

Mega Poster
I purposefully organized a 10 hour layover in KL with the express purpose of riding supersonic odyssey. I actually do like it, it's just quite short---it was riding perfectly fine when I was there. There is very little else worth doing in the park though, so it only held my attention for a handful of rerides before I just walked around the city. I did have a very fun experience getting totally lost in that mall trying to find it, though.

to answer the question, I usually spend so much time researching places on rcdb that I'm not often finding myself surprised. but I do often forget that Perth has a theme park with a decent eurofighter with some interesting custom bits: https://rcdb.com/7444.htm

I think I find it hardest to keep track of the sort of small-park mid-size woodies in the US. sometimes I'm like oh, there's a woodie in Maine? Ok then, that actually looks pretty neat.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I remember having no idea that Phaethon at Gyeongju World existed until they built Draken, which is unfortunate considering it looks like one of the best and unique inverts imo.
If I recall correctly, this thing was even unknown to the coaster community in general until after it opened. Suddenly, someone discovered a B&M operating in South Korea nobody had ever heard about. It must be every enthusiast's dream.

Or a regular Tuesday, I guess, if you're @gavin .

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
If I recall correctly, this thing was even unknown to the coaster community in general until after it opened. Suddenly, someone discovered a B&M operating in South Korea nobody had ever heard about. It must be every enthusiast's dream.

Or a regular Tuesday, I guess, if you're @gavin .
Pretty much. I can't remember how it all happened now, and I guess the CF topics are long gone, so I'm not sure whether it had opened or not.

I remember getting a friend to call the park to ask about the manufacturer, confirming it as a B&M, so there weren't any pictures of it at the time, so maybe it was pre construction.

All a bit hazy now.