What's new

'lympics

peep

CF Legend
^Ha, yeah the Olympics seems to be throwing out some rather random results here and there. Most of the time there's just stunned silence after a race or match because no one saw that result coming. Yay for randomness.

Nic

Strata Poster
He irritates me a bit, but I have to take my metaphorical hat off to Usain Bolt. It feels almost ungrateful to say it, but I expected the 200m to be faster. Still an excellent effort, and I really do believe that he is the kind of legendary athlete that people will still be talking about long after his career comes to an end.

Considering that the Jamacians have just filled the podium, I have to question the fairness of Olympic committee decisions. The rules for track cycling were changed this year, meaning that each country was only permitted to enter one rider per event. This was intended to prevent any race being dominated by a particular country (lets face it, they did it to spite us). You can bet your life there will never be a similar rule passed in the Athletics stadium. I'm not saying there should, but it seems unfair to enforce it in one sport and not others.

While I'm here, I'm looking forward to seeing what British Hammer thrower Sophie Hitchon can manage in the final tomorrow. She was about the only Brit that actually had a great day yesterday (qualifying for the final with a new British record distance), yet still barely got a mention in the media. Having qualified 10th out of 12, a medal is not expected, but if she can throw another good distance, we should still be proud of her.

PS. The Kenyan national anthem is dire.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nic said:
Considering that the Jamacians have just filled the podium, I have to question the fairness of Olympic committee decisions.
And I'm going to question the BBC's agenda.

Shortly before the 200m they run (geddit?!) a feature on black people's domination in sprinting. I wonder if they'll run a feature on why white people dominate swimming and cycling.

Although I've watched more of this Olympics compared to previous ones, there was no way I would miss Bolt. Couldn't care less about the actual race, but his charisma and presence is awe inspiring. He's fascinating to watch.

So, apart from the closing ceremony, is there anything else worth watching?

marc

CF Legend
So far I have watch far more than I thought I would, watched it every night and even watched the bmx stuff.

What I find funny is Bolt. People love him yet in other sports if people behave like that they get slated. He is that good though.

So far really enjoyed it all we have do e really well in events and done a fantastic job hosting it.

Diving is today so maybe more medals?

Then their at Hadleigh this weekend, Southend is going to be busy.

Cannot wait to see what happens in closing show.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Avoid today's Sun newspaper if you don't want the closing show line-up spoiled.

FFS, I wish the press would leave it alone so it's a surprise.

As long as there's no McCartney, it'll be a success!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
This may have been one of my favorite Olympic moments. Herp derp, indeed, NBC.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkE40gLJpjQ[/youtube]

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Oh, just found this out. Apparently in showing the closing ceremonies on tape delay in the US, NBC chose to cut out Muse's performance in favor of showing commercials. God, what a fail. :x

But also...

Snoo said:
USA won the medal count. TAKE THAT BITCHES!

That.

Fun fact: USA won more golds (46) than all but the top four medal-winning countries' combined totals! :)

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster
I gotta throw this out there. I like pretty much all the olympic sports..EXCEPT for the sports that involve judges, scores and personal interpretations...why you may ask? Because the U.S. always gets f***ed over! Even if we do better than another country!

But it doesn't matter because......

Snoo said:

madhjsp

Giga Poster
coaster_rider93 said:
I gotta throw this out there. I like pretty much all the olympic sports..EXCEPT for the sports that involve judges, scores and personal interpretations...why you may ask? Because the U.S. always gets f***ed over! Even if we do better than another country!

Ehm, did you watch gymnastics? Remember when we had the gold-winning girls' team and individual all-around champion?

And let's face it, China et al actually do kick our ass (and most everyone else's) at things like diving, rhythmic gymnastics, and men's gymnastics. But I'll gladly sacrifice that for doing well in sports most people actually care about, like soccer (women's anyway), basketball, and - at least once every four years - volleyball, swimming & track.

But yeah, I guess it's all OK in the end because:

Snoo said:

I do wish we were good at handball, though. I've discovered over the past 2 weeks that I actually quite like watching that. :roll:

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster
I did watch the gymnastics...I guess what I'm meaning by getting effed over is that we would have a good performance in a judged sport, then another country didn't do as good but still got a better score (Mostly diving). So like it didn't affect the overall outcome...but it was just annoying :x

Aside from that, I do agree winning in the actual sports people care about. :mrgreen:

But we gotta show some love for the sports that aren't even televised... smdh.

EDIT: Oh yeah....and of course....

Smithy

Strata Poster
Absolute rofl at you complaining about the diving scores, your lad was gifted the 10m platform gold because the Chinese guys final dive was better, yet scored as worse. Not the first time the US get 'special' marks either.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I missed this too.

But I'll gladly sacrifice that for doing well in sports most people actually care about, like soccer (women's anyway), basketball, and - at least once every four years - volleyball, swimming & track.

Wow.

I mean, I appreciate you're trying to 'big up' Americas achievements. But suggesting people care about womens soccer (After numerous pro leagues in the US have folded due to no interest), basketball (which only the US truly cares about), volleyball (which nobody cares about)? Hilarious.

Heavily relied on the women to redeem you on the track as your mens team were left in the wake of the Caribean islands. Not that it's a bad thing, we relied more on women for medals than we have before. Great to see that some of our brightest young talent are female too (Laura Trott, Jade Jones, the boxer whose name I've forgot :()

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Smithy said:
I mean, I appreciate you're trying to 'big up' Americas achievements. But suggesting people care about womens soccer (After numerous pro leagues in the US have folded due to no interest), basketball (which only the US truly cares about), volleyball (which nobody cares about)? Hilarious.

Ok, it's true that nobody really gives a damn about women's soccer, in this country or any other. But soccer is the most-played and most-watched team sport worldwide, so I'm glad we're at least competitive at it in some aspect. Also (and I admit I don't watch much soccer except when I'm with friends who do), I personally found the drama and quality of play in the women's matches on par with those of the men's matches. Both are capable of making spectacular plays, and though the men do play harder and faster, I find them both about equally watchable. [/tangent]

I'm also conceding that nobody cares about volleyball except for once every four years - during the Olympics. Same for track & swimming. However I will point out that, in terms of number of countries with national governing bodies for the sport, volleyball is actually one of the most-played team sports in the world. So even if the average spectator doesn't care about it at all, many countries participate and prepare teams for Olympic competition.

Basketball, though, has become very popular globally, and is probably the fastest-growing international team sport today. It's not going to supplant soccer as THE international team sport, but it's pretty solidly moved into #2. There are highly competitive pro leagues in Europe, South America, and Asia, many of which didn't exist 20 years ago.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
We had more golds per person than you.

Also, we're not American.

Also, we don't get shot.

Hey, scratch that last line, include the Winter Olympics, and we can say this to everybody.