What's new

Luna Park Coney Island | Thunderbolt | Zamperla

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. It's really fast over those airtime hills, but I'm curious how slow those inversions feel when you're riding. They look very slow and make me wonder if they'll feel like you're being dropped out of your seat rather than getting the little pop of upside-down airtime.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
This roller coaster should operate at a quicker pace with warmer ambient air temperatures and wheel at operating temperature.

Even at that cold first pass, those airtime hills really looked to deliver some good airtime.

I am honestly very impressed with this tight little layout. Would love to see more of these roller coaster pop-up to offer contrast to Gerstlauer.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I kinda felt like this may be the "sleeper hit" of the year but now after watching the video, damn... looks like a ton of fun! Trying to see if I can get up there in August (along with some Great Adventure and Keansburg)

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Since nobody else mentioned it:

WTH is with that wonky rollback system?

Aside from that it looks a lot more fun that I expected.

...and the best thing about three-abreast is I'm nearly always a single rider, so... Yeah. At least one less train to wait, even if there's no single-rider line.

bmac

Giga Poster
It looks so slow going out and then coming back it does a spot on Skyrush impersonation. This is looking like a really fun ride already!

EDIT: also rollermonkey, from what I can hasten a guess at is if the ride is ever stuck the lift just disengages and the train rolls back down thanks to the magnetic fins.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
rollermonkey said:
Very interesting... Do any other coasters use a chain lift and magnetic rollbacks?
It strikes me as an overly complicated system. There's gotta be some other reason they'd use a chain and magnetic rollbacks, surely?

I don't know for sure, but I think the Smiler has a system like this too right? On it's vertical lift there are fins that drop out one the train passes them. Can't find a perfect picture, but you can sort of see them in this picture:7
(I found another one on RCDB, but no idea how to link the image from the new site...)
BTuc2EOCYAACaA1.jpg

From TowersTimes

Although they only seem to be on the vertical section, there don't look to be any on the crest like this coaster has.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah. They also use the same rollback system on the first lift of The Smiler too.

the-smiler-cart-gallery.jpg

You can sort of see it to the left of this image.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Hixee, is this the one?

jtk0001c71imdg001g3ag0.jpg

Not sure which browser you're using, but with Firefox you just right click on the image and click on Copy Link Location.

Sneaky

Roller Poster
As mentioned before, Smiler also has this system on both the non-vertical and vertical lift.

Here's a video of a rollback on the vertical lift:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2T6e9rFVpU[/youtube]

Edit - The youtube style works better than the url one. :wink: ECG

Dapalm

Mega Poster
This could be one of the surprises of the year! I love the trains, its so unusual to see the seat configuration... The ride seems to have a lot of hangtime in the inversions and lots of airtime on those final hills. If the track is smooth and the lap bars comfortable this will be a fun coaster.

^ Maverick also uses the lims for slowly roll back. BTW, didn't the Smiler have a lot of problems with this system?

Lofty

CF Legend
^ The Smiler's retract as the train passes and then pop up again when it's passed, that mechanism in itself caused a lot of hassle for the coaster as far as I've been informed.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
This looks fantastic, amazing pacing over the airtime hill and the inversions look like they have some great hangtime.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Had to go to this morning's U.S. National Team practice session and by the time I got to Coney Island they stopped testing. I watched them do lots of spot welding and tightening loads of bolts before they told me that there would be no more testing until tomorrow morning. I'll try to stop by again before the USA-Turkey game. In the meantime, here's a few photos of the work being done and the two trains that have yet to be put on the track.

10356346_10152108823678639_7267347754240833625_n.jpg

10273214_10152108823718639_2064973553157578929_o.jpg

10272573_10152108823768639_1268281273563952184_o.jpg

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Hixee said:
(I found another one on RCDB, but no idea how to link the image from the new site...)
ECG said:
Not sure which browser you're using, but with Firefox you just right click on the image and click on Copy Link Location.

If you use chrome right click the image and click "inspect element" then just click the .jpg link in the code.