What's new

Loudest Coasters?

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
Have you ever been in a park where you hear that one ride from wherever you are and be able to know what it is just by the sound? What are the loudest coasters you have ridden or seen? We all know that superman is probably number one, but what do you think are right behind it? (If this was done already, sorry)
My List:
1. Superman: Escape From Krypton
2. Mantis
3. Incredible Hulk
4. Great Bear
5. Raptor
6. Riddlers Revenge
7. Top Thrill Dragster (You can hear it go up the tower from your room in The Breakers)
8. Goliath (Six Flags New England)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Loudest Coaster?

The old topic was last updated three years ago and has been locked. Everyone seemed to agree that Superman at SFMM wins hands down.
EastCoast(er)General said:
CreditCrazy said:
Superman THe Escape is by far the loudest coaster...ever.
Ben said:
Superman The Escape! Nothing, no B&M, no Impulse, nothing I've ever heard comes even close to that ridiculous noise.
marc said:
I kept looking for a jet plane, that thing is so loud.
Jake said:
'Is it a plane, is it a plane?

No, it's Superman: The Escape'
QTF. Nothing is louder.

Tomatron said:
And they only run one side at a time now. I can't imagine what it's like when both trains are going! :shock:
Has never happened. They have always only run one side or the other. The year the coaster opened they tried alternating sides, but found it was quicker to just launch from one side.
I've spent quite a bit of time at the park since Drop of Doom was added and still haven't seen both sides launch at the same time, but they did do it for the commercial shoot. However you can't hear how loud it is in the video the park released.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUWkKTaMLFA[/youtube]

I think #2 would be Great Bear at Hersheypark. Something about the way it sits on the top of the hill and goes down into the valley makes it even louder than all the other B&Ms.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkJfPCoqtQY[/youtube]

At #3 would probably be Incredible Hulk, or at least that's what most people comment about on Youtube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiiLYueuhF4[/youtube]

Mantis is right up there as well, but it just doesn't stand out like the these three because of all the other loud coasters in the park - especially TTD blasting off right next to it.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Re: Loudest Coaster?

^ I agree with you (or practically everybody on here) on Superman: Escape from Krypton. It really hurts your ears walking beneath it when the cars are being launched. I think it's more of a blessing than bad luck if the ride is closed on the day one's visiting (unless they need the cred...)

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
^Well, when I went I went three days. Didn't have time for it the first day, and then it was down for the next two days, so i didn't get the credit. The park was a ghost town and I was able to walk on X2, Tatsu, Full Throttle, and Lex Luthor all day without a line out the station for those days. So I was there for three days and did not get the credit. So I guess it was bad luck for me haha.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Hulk, Mantis, and Raptor definitely come to mind for me. TTD is also very loud as it roars up the vertical section.

This is the first time I've heard about the noise made by Superman EFK. I can't imagine how that would sound.

smecn

Roller Poster
Not sure if it really counts, but the older Premier launch coasters can be very loud. Probably not as loud as some others, but Flight of Fear at KI is really loud when it launches out of the station especially since it is all enclosed and the sound just echos. Now I have never heard Superman EFK, but I can see where it would be very loud.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Nemesis has a surreal roar which can be heard right across the Valley sometimes. It's eerie!

Dragon Khan is up there as well, although quite interesting that Shambhala is almost silent in comparison.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Khan has an immense roar about it. Shambhala is a lot more high pitched and a lot quieter, almost glides around the track.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
FaceYourNemesis said:
Nemesis has a surreal roar which can be heard right across the Valley sometimes. It's eerie!

Dragon Khan is up there as well, although quite interesting that Shambhala is almost silent in comparison.

Without doing any research into the park my guess is Shambhala's track is filled with sand and Khan's isn't.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
It's a different kind of sound than the Beemers or even Superman, but Daidasaurus at Expoland was surprisingly loud.

I guess that was a result of it being a 45 mph / 72 kmh Big Apple.
:)

BBH

Giga Poster
The loudest ride overall that I've ridden is probably B:TR at SFGAm, but the award for loudest anti-rollbacks goes to Thunderation. Damn.

Posted while reading your mind.

bmac

Giga Poster
Bizarro @ Great Adventure is borderline deafening when it goes through the Cobra Roll. It's so loud that we have to stop communicating on the radios when it exits the dive loop.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Mainly B&Ms without sand come to mind. Kumba, Hulk, Superman: Krypton Coaster, Raptor, Mantis. TTD also comes to mind with its launch. I also think of large old wooden coasters like Mean Streak and Texas Giant.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Great Bear is particularly loud during its immelman. Bizarro is pretty bad during the cobra roll as well.

Skyrush can be pretty bad when it flies over you.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Superman The Escape was really loud - and still is.

Bullet at Flamingoland was also noisy as hell. Probably one of the many reasons why it only ran for a few hours each day.