What's new

London...

I think London is...

• A Wonderful place with wonderful people. Best place on Earth.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • A great place to be because that's where it's happening.

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Ok. I don't really have an opinion.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Unpleasant. Not a fan of our Capital.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • **** DISGUSTING.

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
But driving in London is better than anywhere else in the world. People drive in London like they get the tube: efficiently. If people are giving you hassle it's because you're doing something wrong. London drivers are the most helpful in the country.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I'd hate to drive in Central London, like, I don't understand how people can actually do it... Similarly I don't understand how people pile into the Tube during rush hour, but since I don't have to get the tube to get into work, it's because I'm not used to it (also Victoria is **** awful atm with the works going on)...

The Tube is so much more efficient than driving around though, 10 minutes to get to Euston/Kings Cross from Victoria? Bargain...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
My issue with the tube isn't that it gets crowded. Of course it gets crowded; any subway system does.

My issue is that it always feels more crowded than it is due to smaller-than-normal trains and narrow platforms. I get that it's old and a lot of it can't be helped, but that doesn't mean it's not gross.

The trains themselves are grotesque sweat boxes, and the pricing, while bearable with an Oyster card, is ridiculous otherwise. Even with the card the costs are ridiculous when compared with systems in most (all?) other cities, which are also generally a much more pleasant experience.

Clearly, if you don't use an Oyster, you're mentally deficienct, but it's such an obvious, government-mandated tourist scam, and it's wrong.

Yes, it gets you where you want to go; it's a mass transit system. They all do; that's the point. It's still vile though.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Yeah, ridiculous pricing the tube. Like my friend didn't just travel the whole way from Richmond to Dagenham for the football for like £2.50. The trains...now those are expensive. Some train companies are better than others but the bad ones are REALLY bad. First Capital Connect, Southern...

I like London's tube (as a tourist) because it has character. The lines aren't simply named after the last stop, or given numbers. How boring is that! They've grown up over time and each station has a rich history. Throw in the artwork and poetry competitions that are always on and they are just fab.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Ben said:
Even if whites weren't the majority, I really don't understand why that matters?

We encouraged immigration when it suited us, so man up and embrace it.

I love living in a city with people from around the World, it's far more interesting than everyone being White British.

I agree 100% with the whole efficiency thing. If people are rude to you in London it's because you're being a mong. Probably standing on the left hand side of an escalator or something else unforgivable.

If the only really negative point that you have that holds any real weight is that the tube is busy and you can't drive, you might have to start thinking up new arguments bae. You get used to the Tube in about two trips and then couldn't live without it. Who wants to drive everywhere when the Tube means as many after work drinks as you want?

I'll just say Sue's post was 100% perfect.

So all you want to do here is attack my views when I'm clearly entitled to voice them. Is there any reason or are you just hunting for drama, as usual? By all means have an opinion, but don't attack mine.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
London - a great place to visit on business and for cultural opportunities but I'm a small town person with the desire to live in the country one day, so London is not my ideal place. I prefer places that a little more sedate.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
They're only attacking you because you're wrong though. You started this topic with an inflammatory rant about London having a majority of non-white British people - something which is not really true when you start to look at the statistics. Hasn't all the crap with the Smiler taught us that newspaper reporting is shoddy and full of errors at best and at worst to hold up someone else's (in this case anti-immigration) agenda. You really don't want to belive everything that you read in them - it makes you look uneducated and gullible.

I think that everyone here has been fairly reasonable to be honest. Despite the fact that you open outrightly pissing all over the town in which many of us live and of which, many of us are very proud. How would you like me to come to Banbury and say 'well this is a ****, it's full of white middle-aged idiots who hate change and have obviously never opened an atlas thier whole lives or they might realise they do in fact live in a country that is part of **** Europe'.

London probably does have a larger population of immigrants than the rest of the UK. Most of us who live there are actually proud of that. The fact that London attracts people from all over the world and is an international destination for culture, education and work is a fantastic achievement. How dare you...

Darren B

Giga Poster
^Actually, I wouldn't have any issue with anyone attacking where I live. If it's factual or someone's personal opinion then fine. London is a **** hole; That's my personal view and there's nothing you can put in front of me that proves otherwise.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Mysterious Sue said:
Then why even bother to have this debate?

Sue, I have absolutely no issue with having a debate, but if I'm just going to be told how wrong I am then why bother making the effort. Challenge me by all means, but don't tell me I'm wrong when you can't factually prove that I am.

Ben

CF Legend
I'm not responding anymore, I don't want anything to get personal, we've been over this too many times. You guys keep going for it, but

Bannatyne1.jpeg

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I knew someone else once who couldn't admit he was wrong. He still believes in horizontal loops.

I was going to post a pie chart here using stats from wiki (used by the Telegraph) to show you, but do you know what, if you can't be bothered to look yourself and do your own research before posting tripe then why should I do it for you?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Darren B said:
I used the figures from the 2012 census. That's proof enough for me.
Okay, cool.

What does it matter?

nealbie

CF Legend
Darren B said:
I used the figures from the 2012 census. That's proof enough for me.

Couldn't find the 2012 Census, but I'm guessing that's a typo so is the 2011 Census good enough for you?

As we can see, White British is by far the biggest single grouping. Yes it's less than 50%, but it's far from a minority.

White as a collective is well over half. But yay for multiculturalism.

As has been said, many times by many members, it really doesn't matter. But if you insist on being racist at least do it with facts. :)

Gazza

Giga Poster
Clearly, if you don't use an Oyster, you're mentally deficienct, but it's such an obvious, government-mandated tourist scam, and it's wrong.
Most tourist guides tell you to get an oyster due to the high paper ticket fares, but then again, it's the same situation in many cities these days.
I mean, there was an oyster dispenser at the station at Gatwick airport, so it's not like it's difficult to get one.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If it matters to Goonfield that our capital city is 51% "non-white British" based on the figures that he has seen and trusts, then so be it. Everybody is entitled to have an opinion about anything - right or wrong - and they not compelled to justify it. I get slightly pissed off when people get offended on somebody else's behalf and try to belittle somebody if they say something regarded as politically incorrect. And note that Darren said "white British", which to me means he doesn't like white Irish, Americans, French, Ozzies and so on. And that's his opinion.

I'm not sticking up for Darren but allow him to have an opinion and the freedom to leave it unjustified if he wants to.

I don't like cats. I think they're awful creatures. There's no story or reasoning behind it, I just don't like them. I don't feel that I need to justify it to anybody. I'm sure if I did, then somebody pro-cat would be on my case trying to prove me wrong. Just leave me to hate cats FFS.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
So it would be ok for me then to post a spamming topic entitled 'I dislike Darren B' and in it, I simply say 'I think he's awful. There's no story or reasoning behind it, I just don't like him. I don't feel that I need to justify it to anybody.'

And you're saying I shouldn't expect him to reply or to debate in the slightest?

Or I shouldn't expect a mod to close it for being boring. You can't start a topic and then declare that you don't want a debate (especially one as controversial as this!)

Darren B

Giga Poster
You see, it's not like I dislike any cultures, because I dont. Neal, you're bang out of order calling me a racist. There are great people and bad people from all cultures. Neal, you're a prick but you're white british. Point made? I don't dislike someone for there creed or culture but for who they are.

My point was merely that I don't enjoy the fact that our capital city has lost so much of its 'Britishness'. Yes, as I've already stated I embrace multi-culturism, I just don't enjoy the fact the good old fashion British male has become a minority in his capital city.

So, call be prejudice, rascist etc. All you want. But if you weren't a complete moron you'd probably understand the point that I'm trying to get across.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Mysterious Sue said:
So it would be ok for me then to post a spamming topic entitled 'I dislike Darren B' and in it, I simply say 'I think he's awful. There's no story or reasoning behind it, I just don't like him. I don't feel that I need to justify it to anybody.'

And you're saying I shouldn't expect him to reply or to debate in the slightest?

Or I shouldn't expect a mod to close it for being boring. You can't start a topic and then declare that you don't want a debate (especially one as controversial as this!)

I said I was happy to have a debate with you, and now it's happening. Now I'm not being told I'm simply 'wrong' but instead I'm being challenged as to my views, and I'm responding. Point proven?

And by all means, start a topic about me. I'd embrace it :)