What's new

Liseberg | Helix | Mack Megacoaster

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Re: Liseberg | "Project Helix" | Mack Megacoaster

ele_pretzel-knot.jpg

Sooooooooo.....

Just kidding... Pretzel Knot... that isn't actually a knot. Confused yet?

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Jake said:
This looks fierce, but am I the only one who thinks it's a slightly weird choice seeing as they have Kanonen already? I mean, for a park that currently only has 3 major coasters they could have gone for something a bit different.

It's really not that weird, only real similarities are the launches, otherwise they are pretty far away IMO.
The ride was meant to be gravity driven at first, and a lot taller, but that project was rejected.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I think parts of this coaster look good, but in general, I dont really get a good feeling for multiple/rolling launches.

Yes the rolling launch on Anubis is brilliant, like a proper little explosion of speed. But on ther other hand, I found Cheetah Hunts launches to be very, very weak. Maybe thats down to the size of the train, or the speed the train enters the launch in the first place? Either way, I wasn't exactly impressed.

Nick P

Mega Poster

andrus said:
Two things:

1) This looks amazing! Four airtime hills, six inversions (whereof one is the famous "blue fire in-line roll"), Mack trains, terrain layout twisting around other rides AND IT'S IN SWEDEN! Wohoo! :--D

2) A Mack mega coaster that's not blue?!?

Here's a translation of the info on the Project Helix webpage:

Project Helix is Liseberg's biggest attraction investment ever. It will become a new roller coaster, the longest and fastest in the park. The ambition is that it'll be one of the best roller coasters in the world.

The roller coaster is almost 1.4 km long and the ride time will be close to 2 minues. The ride will feature two launches powered by LSM technology (Linear Synchronous Motors) – ie the ride will be the first dubble launching roller coaster in Europe. The passengers will be flipped upside down at six points during the ride and experience so-called "airtime" four times - a feeling of weightlessness.

With a speed of up to 100 km/h the roller coaster will be the fastest at Liseberg. It will also be the technically most advanced roller coaster at the park. Mack Rides of Germany will be the manufacturer.

The premiere of the new roller coaster will be at the spring of 2014.

Welcome to participate in Project Helix!

You read my mind.
I wonder if they keep using their signature heartline roll on all of their mega coasters.

andrus

Giga Poster

Don't think this video has been posted. It's quite interesting and features an interview with the park CEO, the parks head designer, people from Mack and even Justin Garvanovic of ECC! Most of it is in swedish (some in english) but I thought it would be worth sharing anyways! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dcS4xY8-5tA[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Martyn B said:
I think parts of this coaster look good, but in general, I dont really get a good feeling for multiple/rolling launches.

I think this is the natural evolution of launches, and why it makes sense to have this coaster when they already have Kanonen.

The advantage of a launch (and especially a rolling launch) is that you can put coasters into places that a traditional lift hill wouldn't allow. So in the case, even if there was room for a lift hill (or single, powerful launch to replace it), the layout is still too long and "awkwardly placed" to work. The rolling launch allows the coaster to be placed on the side of the hill and where it runs out of energy, BAM! You add in the next rolling launch and double the length of the ride. In this case it's not for gimmick reasons, but as a natural way to extend the ride. Unlike Cheetah Hunt, this ride actually then uses that speed to do real roller coastery stuffs! ;)

Martyn B

CF Legend

I get what you're saying. These LSM launches just dont have the power that Accelerators had - and if Intamin aren't going to make them anymore, then thats just sad.

Anyway, a few concept pics:

43943800.jpg

43950800.jpg

43949800.jpg

43948800.jpg

spicy

Giga Poster

Love how it interacts with Lisbergbanan, looks great.

I guess Lisbergbanan is going to be closed whilst this is being constructed, so I'm definitely delaying my trip to Sweden until this bad boy opens.

CoasterfanSWE

Roller Poster
Re: Liseberg |

Such exciting news since the park is located a mere 3 hours away!

spicy said:
I guess Lisbergbanan is going to be closed whilst this is being constructed, so I'm definitely delaying my trip to Sweden until this bad boy opens.

Perhaps, but personally I would think they would begin with the parts that does not interfere with Lisebergsbanan and Flumeride to keep them open as long as possible. Though who knows. But I hope they will be able to keep them open during at least most of the 2013 season.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^That's the spirit!

Got to love the ambition and drive of the kids today.

Dar

Hyper Poster

This looks brilliant and Liseberg is ridiculously easy to get to from the UK!!

Colossus

Giga Poster

andrus said:
Don't think this video has been posted. It's quite interesting and features an interview with the park CEO, the parks head designer, people from Mack and even Justin Garvanovic of ECC! Most of it is in swedish (some in english) but I thought it would be worth sharing anyways! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dcS4xY8-5tA[/youtube]

That`s a nice little video, here`s the English version.

http://youtu.be/Ts6KIydz65A

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Watching this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -Ho5M6SLkw

What strikes me is how much Liseberg know what they are talking about and are comfortable expressing it. There's no crap, no lies, no sign that they are deluded or misunderstand their audience.

It's wildly refreshing. You can't help respect them.

I know the video is clearly aimed at enthusiasts and actually a little dull to watch, but why is it that Liseberg are so... Well, down to earth?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Joey said:
Watching this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -Ho5M6SLkw

What strikes me is how much Liseberg know what they are talking about and are comfortable expressing it. There's no crap, no lies, no sign that they are deluded or misunderstand their audience.

It's wildly refreshing. You can't help respect them.
I couldn't agree more. They're not trying any silly marketing, they're not trying to be sensationalist, they just know that if they make a good ride then the praise and attention will come. At least, that's the impression I got from watching that video. "Wildly Refreshing" is the perfect phrase.

As Furie said earlier in this topic, TAKE NOTE ALTON.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

This thing makes Liseberg a must-go-to park. Too bad it's very far away.
The farther away a ride is, the more it seems I must get to it.

I love the emphasizing of the train's comfortability in the video-they must have heard about Intamin's restraint idiocy and want to capitalize.

andrus

Giga Poster

^They own an Intamin launch coaster. A very painful one as well! A couple of goes on it and your shoulders/neck (depending on height) are/is hurting for sure..

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

andrus said:
^They own an Intamin launch coaster. A very painful one as well! A couple of goes on it and your shoulders/neck (depending on height) are/is hurting for sure..
I like how they didn't mention it in the video. Just pretending it doesn't exist.

I actually though it was okay... Because short people are better.

nealbie

CF Legend

The problem with Kanonenenenenenenenen isn't that the restraints are painful, just that the car in front seems RIDICULOUSLY close to your face. Will and I sat together and thought we were going to have our features smacked in by it! And he's a midget...