What's new

Lightning Rod Status

jay37415

Mega Poster
So here are the pics I got while I was there, which seem to show a section of track missing, but in retrospect maybe this is just part of the transfer track? I'm not sure how they get trains on or off so I may have misunderstood what was going on there...

View attachment 1437 View attachment 1438
View attachment 1439
The repair area for the trains is under the station. The track raises and lowers to get the trains in and out. You must have been there the same day I was cause they had the trains lowered like that to put water in the dummies. Then ran testing that afternoon.

Out of curiousity, were you wearing a mystic timbers shirt?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster

Rode it yesterday! Twice <3 got confirmation that it was indeed running.... And quickly made my way from North Carolina to Tennessee
That vid s all POV, which is not what I was asking for, but that is a fantastic POV, I have to say, so thanks!

And congratulations on getting a ride in!! Well done! Was that your first LR ride? And if so, well, how was it??

davidm

Strata Poster
Launch was the weakest bit of the ride IMHO, wouldn't worry about it too much. (based on riding it last October).
As long as the thing can get to the top of the lift hill, its all good from then on.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Launch was the weakest bit of the ride IMHO, wouldn't worry about it too much. (based on riding it last October).
As long as the thing can get to the top of the lift hill, its all good from then on.
Doesn't the launch build speed that carries it over the first hill and beyond?

davidm

Strata Poster
The launch gives out before the top of the lift hill, so as long as there is enough speed to carry you over the top then it'll be fine.
So much inane "is it slower" noise on the internet over the last couple of days ; it doesn't matter - fastest bit is the bottom of the big drop not the top of the lift hill.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
The launch gives out before the top of the lift hill, so as long as there is enough speed to carry you over the top then it'll be fine.
So much inane "is it slower" noise on the internet over the last couple of days ; it doesn't matter - fastest bit is the bottom of the big drop not the top of the lift hill.
I have not ridden it yet, so I can only take your word for it. However, in the above video posted by CanobieFan it sure looks not only as if the speed of the launch carries the train with speed well over the crest of the first hill, but also as if the crest is hit with so much momentum that it must result in some airtime.

Ben

CF Legend
You alright Dave?

You know that if it hits the top of the hill slower, the rest of the ride will be slower?

That's the issue everyone's saying - instead of hitting the top of the hill with speed it's crawling and it's ruining the rest of the ride.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Ive seen mixed reviews - some whiene that it lost the insane ejector while others say the ride, overall, is a bit more enjoyable (they target the quad down for their response though).

Ive not ridden it, and I really dont know of anyone whose ridden it at launch and with the reduced launch.

A quick side-note though - many are thinking the ride is just being reduced for the year, so that when end of season comes around (does Dollywood have a proper off season, or just reduced days open?) - they will modify/replace the current launch system to allow the ride to be ran at its original speed (like I305 with the trims on the drop before they changed the hill).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, I reckon it'll be 'just for now' as well - hopefully it'll have some serious work done to it.

It closes from January until mid-March, so I imagine anything big will happen then.

davidm

Strata Poster
You alright Dave?

You know that if it hits the top of the hill slower, the rest of the ride will be slower?

That's the issue everyone's saying - instead of hitting the top of the hill with speed it's crawling and it's ruining the rest of the ride.

:) the point is that "ruining" is over stated - the ride is great; from the top of the lift hill onwards. I thought the launch and the "over the top of the lift hill" bit was the lamest bit of the ride.

It seems to me that its all a bit whingy ; "oh no its not so fast up the lift hill therefore its rubbish", so what - just ride the ****ing thing if you can!

Ben

CF Legend
But people aren't talking about just the lift, but how it'll affect the rest of the ride?

If they added a trim to the start of Nemesis you wouldn't be like oh well it's just ruined the drop, it'd ruin everything after that.

That's what people are moaning about, not the actual lift.

davidm

Strata Poster
Yeah but the lift hill is the dullest bit of the ride - even if it was stationary at the top of the lift hill it would still be a brilliant ride.
(I do understand the point of speed over the top of the lift hill, but I just don't think its important ; the speed the ride gets is from the drop, not the speed over the lift hill, and for people (who haven't ridden it) to be bitching about it maybe being a bit slower is just ridiculous)

jay37415

Mega Poster
Most musings I have been reading are calling BS on the slowed down lift rumor. It still has the cajones it used to. I have taken over 20 laps on it and may just take a road trip tomorrow to see if its true.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Most musings I have been reading are calling BS on the slowed down lift rumor. It still has the cajones it used to. I have taken over 20 laps on it and may just take a road trip tomorrow to see if its true.
I'm on ridiculous tenterhooks over here, so I'm clinging to your post with hope. I so much want to experience this coaster in its full glory. If you, with your clearly ingrained sense of what LR was like, were to ride it again now and report back here, you would have my sincerest gratitude. And with a prize like "sincerest gratitude" being on offer, I don't know how you could possibly resist that road trip.