What's new

Lightning Rod Status

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Reliability is indeed what matters. Esp for the long run. I am not great with the engineering side of things but wont a ride just get worse with time? So like....lose speed, downtime even worse, rougher, take a toll on the long run health of the ride etc? If so this change is nothing but positive.
The launch modification was most definitely to extend the ride's service life as long as possible. Nothing was ever confirmed publicly, but it was basically common knowledge that wood track was getting beaten up far more than it could hold. That's why now that most of it's IBox track, a lot of us were hopeful that the original speed would return. Still can't complain too much as its still a world beater as-is.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
The launch modification was most definitely to extend the ride's service life as long as possible. Nothing was ever confirmed publicly, but it was basically common knowledge that wood track was getting beaten up far more than it could hold. That's why now that most of it's IBox track, a lot of us were hopeful that the original speed would return. Still can't complain too much as its still a world beater as-is.
Oh absolutely. And same, it would be wonderful if the original speed returned, and I know we cant always trust distant video/early testing but eh, not gunna get my hopes up. As ya said, still a top tier ride and IF it was restored, even better.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Deff waiting on reports! I'm also hearing that the launch if anything is gunna be slowed down more, but with the increased smoothness it shouldn't feel any different. One, this is just what someone "heard" so who knows lol two I hope so! I get the need for reliability with this ride but would hate if its farther neutered. Like clearly its till a top tier ride but ya know hope they dont tone it down farther, even those who still say its god tier seem to feel the 1st half was noticably slower, so I do hope the speed isnt dampened more. Like that was the point of the I-Box right, to better handle the speed? But Im sure its fine and Im just overworrying. But yeah in the end it running consistently is the goal. Not much good for us enthusiasts who may travel far just for it to be a crap shoot.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Most people would agree that the biggest part affected by the slower launch is the first two drops. The rest of the ride is not really affected. Pete Owens actually said that it is running faster through the quad down.
So whatever speed is lost by the toned down launch is gained back due to the performance of the steel.
I’ll be there on opening weekend and will give my opinions.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Joining sections are here:
1615420749344.png

Glad to see the whole drop is IBox and isn't what I predicted a few pages back. Didn't make sense to have 2-3 sections of topper just on the drop. Can't wait to check out how smooth ol' Rod is now!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ With a completely different front end that brings completely different weight ratio and dynamics; things are gonna sound different.

Overall looks... like it always did: unobtainable and a recorded video. :p

I'll be interested to do a more dedicated dive into timestamp comparison of launch lift, first section, and quad down; if only to compare how speeds vary between iterations.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Wow, the transitions are done impeccably well, really hard to spot! Let's hope they aren't too noticeable on-ride (as in a jolt).

Is it just me or is the launch even slower now? Like, it barely makes it over that first hill.

Dar

Hyper Poster
From a quick comparison of the new CF video and the old one filmed from the same position; the launch looks the same speed, it's just slowed more by the brakes at the top. In the side-by-side the trains stay level pretty much up to the crest of the first hill. :)

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I guess it's my mind. It seems slower over the top, and it seemed slower over the whole first half :(
Granted it could be empty train, new track, in March and ya know POVs never do a perfect job conveying feel. But I wont lie preeeeeeetttty nervous lol I watched it then an older POV (after its initial slowdown) then it again, I swear it looks slower like....it barely crests that hill and it looks real slow through the wave turn.

I hope yall are right that its literally just that hill and it wont impact the whole 1st half/the steel smoothness will make it as fast. I'll be bummed if my first ride is half neutered. Like Ive heard all the commentary I know how wild the entire ride is....if half is a little lackluster I'm gunna notice. This is where being an enthusiast sucks lol Should've just gone blind. I'd say should've gone sooner but well, everything was planned to do so last year. Ugh. Well won't think about it. I may not even listen/read any reviews of previous riders. If they say it's slower I'll be too conscious of it lol

Last edited:

jay37415

Mega Poster

Here’s a video from a year or so ago. IMHO, the coaster only looks slower due to not having any perspective with the trees.

EDIT: there is about a 4-second difference between videos. Could be the fact that it's a lot colder in March than it was in June.

Last edited:

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

Here’s a video from a year or so ago. IMHO, the coaster only looks slower due to not having any perspective with the trees.
Yeah it was an older CF video I compared it too. I mean....maybe it's in my head. It could be, that looks quicker. I'm trying to just focus on it and that seems noticeably faster. Like that vs the current one, the new one looks less whippy. That can't be from lack of trees around.
I'm gunna overthink this and ruin my ride (its happened before lol) Ive learned to stop but LR is kinda my #1 to do. I'm gunna just not really follow it anymore and wait to ride myself. If I don't hear others saying yeah its not the same then I won't know lol

Dar

Hyper Poster
Tried to sync them best I could, not that it matters too much lol

New on the left, old on the right

New one is a lot slower over the top, and generally through the layout? Obviously some of that is gonna be because it's new and cold, but it's still a fair difference to make up!

Once @Hyde gets round to his deep dive we'll know if it matches the old speed towards the end of the ride :p

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
It was filmed early morning before park opening on an empty train, when it was 40° (4° C). You should see El Toro crawl around the track under those conditions. Don't worry about the speed.
Too bad they had to clear out so much to get access. We'll have to film again after they remove all those trees and hopefully it will look much better.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
it's just slowed more by the brakes at the top.
I don't know how many times this needs to be said: The brake fins after the LSMs are NOT USED in normal operations. They are PURELY there for emergency stop/abort launch reasons.

And like ECG said, don't worry about the speed. Y'all should know by now how temperamental RMCs are, especially this one. A cold, empty, early morning POV will be WILDLY different from a hot, fully loaded train in July. Give it time.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
It was filmed early morning before park opening on an empty train, when it was 40° (4° C). You should see El Toro crawl around the track under those conditions. Don't worry about the speed guys.
Too bad they had to clear out so much to get access. We'll have to film again after they remove all those trees and hopefully it will look much better.

That is good to hear!
I totally get an empty train on a March morning is not ideal, I guess I didn't know it could impact that much! Also didn't know it was that cold and early morning. Deff helps allieviate some nerves.

I'm usually pretty chill about this type of thing but been trying to ride this for years now. 3 years in a row I had it booked and various things came up, one was a family emergency, and one being a global pandemic....so my bad but the thought it may be running slower... that was super disheartening and Im not apologizing lol I'll keep the faith it wont be impacted!
And like ECG said, don't worry about the speed. Y'all should know by now how temperamental RMCs are, especially this one. A cold, empty, early morning POV will be WILDLY different from a hot, fully loaded train in July. Give it time.

Or hopefully late May!