What's new

Level/Quality of Theme in the UK...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
This has come from discussion in the 'New stuff for Saw in 2010' topic...

Now Saw isn't bad, but average, with everything really, and we all know it's been overhyped, but my issue right now is the way I've apparently expected the theming to be much better than 'Thorpe's best theming for years'...

Why can I not have high expectations of the second biggest company in the world for theme parks?
Why when Merlin openly want to be the best do they not give us the best?

Disney are of course going to be hard to beat (unless this tactic of buying more and more increases, but doesn't make them truly the best), but if their goal is to be better than them, then they need to prove this to us...

In recent years, we've seen much better qualities of theming from smaller parks in Europe, Plopsaland and Hansa Park to name two, and we know Merlin are capable of high theming because of Gardaland possessing a few heavily themed rides (Atlantis and Ramses)... So why doesn't this seem to stretch to us in the UK?

Arguably, the approach to parks in the UK is rather lack in comparison to the rest of the world, but in the 80s and 90s we had such high levels of theming from both Chessington and Alton respectively, now it seems that the classic levels of theming Tussauds once gave us disappeared in the 00s, which was a shame based on their past work...
When Merlin took over and did Mutiny Bay, I was impressed, more could've been done with Battle Galleons, and of course the Flume still sits there bold as brass, but of course it was definitely better than what had stood there before...

Of course I am still disappointed with Saw, mainly with the hype the surrounded it, I was expecting more from the outside and the inside... I do wonder what would've happened if Thorpe hadn't gone to Lionsgate and kept the mill theme that they were gonna go with originally, what the ride would've looked like and everything instead...

I still don't think Saw's theme has the impact to me that Amity Cove did originally, even if they were built at the same time, Amity Cove was very well done, but seems to have also suffered from branding that has occurred a lot at our parks...

In conclusion, as Merlin believe they can be the best, they need to up their game to be the very best... Disney have a high standard and if Merlin can produce some of the stuff they have done before (Gardaland and some Legoland rides) then they can possibly be the best, but Saw is certainly not the best they could have done...

Onto your thoughts people...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I feel like doing a similar topic for Nepal. There are CF-ers outside of the UK too, you know! :D

I admit, I don't have a lot to base this on, but you've at least made an effort. As the only UK park I've been to is Thorpe, I'll review the themeing there.

Nemesis Inferno was so-so when it came to themeing (was there any?), but I have to say, it had atmosphere. The small forest in which you queue is rather cosy, at least it has some foliage. I think it would have been better off if they had dropped any attempts at a theme or story, and just let it be a nice coaster with an artificial mountain and a little jungle.

Stealth is horrible, though. Too much of a concrete feeling, if you get what I mean. Big space, coaster runs around it. And the queue area is just depressing.

Colossus looked like it had some great vegetation. Too bad it was closed when we were there. The rest of the park seemed to follow the general idea, though. Dot in plants wherever you can, make it green and be satisfied. It's first when they try to make a ride something different from that they fail. I'd rather let a coaster be a coaster and try to make it naturally nice around it, than give a half-assed effort at themeing, putting the ride in a no-mans land called tacky. I have yet to go to a park with extensive themeing, but I think Thorpe is a nice example of a park that would have been good without any specific theme.

spicy

Giga Poster
Merlin will NEVER be as big as Disney, the only park in the UK that comes a fraction close to a Disney park is Alton Towers. It has magic, but natural magic, the park has real themeing, the towers the gardens, the statues its been there for over a hundred years. It would be so nice for them to restore the towers to their former glory but thats a different matter.

As for recent efforts of themeing throughout the Merlin/Tussauds parks yes they have been pretty poor. Alton hasn't seen high levels of themeing since Oblivion, Thorpe hasn't had it since Tidal Wave and Chessie since Transylvania?

BUT since Merlin have taken over I think we are starting to see improvements. Personally I think that Saw is better themed than anything we have had in a while, Mutiny Bay looks great SW6 plans look brilliant as does the new area for Chessie.

If SW6 and the new Chessie area aren't upto the standard of the Tussaud's of old then I think we can start getting worried although I am pretty optimistic they won't disappoint.

Don't focus on the negatives, just face it we are never going to have Disney level of themeing in the UK but we are going to have a good standard and a much better standard than we have had perhaps over the past 5 or so years.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
How much of the issue stems from the insane trouble the UK parks have to go through to get anything approved by the local planning commissions and town councils?

It seems that every other new story out of the UK has to do with something getting cancelled, scaled back or removed due to planning issues.

Maybe if the parks didn't have to spend half of an attraction's construction budget on fighting through the local bureaucracy, they could afford better theming?

I dunno, I know I'm just a Yank, but from the outside, it's how it seems.

I dunno, at least they make an effort sometimes I guess. They don't usually have ugly, parking lot coasters, so if the rides lack good theming, at leats most of them have good atmosphere, and sometimes nice atmosphere is better than theming anyways.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
I think a lot of it comes down to expectations; the UK got both the PS2 and PS3 consoles late, because Sony's own research showed the UK gp would tolerate it, and as such, were proved right. The level of themeing set by the likes of the rat at lightwater valley back in the mid eighties should have set a precedent, but instead, the cry was for 'bigger, better, faster. longer', and the opportunity was lost.

The future of theming in the UK depends on one thing and one thing only - the continuing success of ThomasLand at Drayton Manor - and the example set of money being in the merchandise, not just in the draw of the ride, and for that reason, I am inclined to believe the rumours that Nickelodeon will be bound for Beaver Creek someday soon.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
slappy mcguire said:
I think a lot of it comes down to expectations; the UK got both the PS2 and PS3 consoles late, because Sony's own research showed the UK gp would tolerate it, and as such, were proved right.

Off topic, but wrong. We get later releases because we're "Europe". When anything is released over here, it has to be "localised". That means that there has to be a uniform system that could be sold anywhere on the continent. So every 360 or Playstation released over here has to have the ability to run in any of the languages used in Europe. Then the deals have to be signed to distribute according to the local laws of each country in Europe.

In the US and Japan, it's simple, you just release. Over here, it's just so much harder as Sony Europe has to take into account every country they sell to.

As for the UK issue? Well, slappy is actually right :lol:

We're a bunch of pretty lazy, unprofessionals - who whinge and moan, but still give people our money (with a begrudging smile on our faces).

We're crap consumers :lol: Don't like the theming of Saw? Don't go to Thorpe! Think Alton looks tatty? Write a comment as you leave and don't return.

We don't. We just moan and go back again and again.

From the top, we're a pretty, well, lazy isn't actually the word. We're a nation of tinkerers and brilliant at "making do". "This part is broken, we can order a new one or fix it with gaffer tape and a couple of nails". The quick fix is the option chosen, but then when it works, we don't order the new part. Then before you know it, the quick fix becomes the permanent fix.

This is the way we work over here, we have a very much a "it'll do" attitude.

As for Merlin, well. Each Merlin park is still self managed. They will have a share of resources, but essentially, each park manager will make their proposal to Merlin and ask for the budget. If the manager doesn't ask for enough, then it's tough, there won't be enough and cuts will be made.

I think you'll find with Merlin, Legoland always has much more effort put in. This is because from the start, good theming was demanded, and the management is geared up for it. Likewise the Sealife, Merlin have a "set of rules" that a new build should fit to a degree - it's an important brand to them.

The parks though are still pretty much left to themselves. I've no doubt there is a directive from Merlin that says they wish things to improve, but there will still be a reliance on the local park manager to get it right. This will happen I think, but it will take time. But while people still rave about poor theming (or mediocre theming), nothing will improve drastically.

I have to say though, it's not all like this.

Drayton do theme individual rides pretty well. They just leave them to rot, and don't extend it beyond the ride entrance (Thomas Land excluded).

Adventure Island as well also themes its rides excellently. Again, it doesn't go beyond the ride entrance, but for a seaside park it's very good.

yinyang

Mega Poster
^ what kind of comment is that? lol.
I think part of the problem in UK is planning permission, and also cost. I think most parks want to spend the least amount possible just to get a ride up. I think the 2010 Alton coaster will show us if the theming/ride quality is moving in the right direction or not. Until then we'll still have to put up with what the country has to offer so far.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Theming has next to nothing to do with planning permission. It has everything to do with parks not wanting to spend the money and the general "I suppose that'll do" attitiude of the British public.

A

Anonymous

Personally I think theming in the UK is rather good. I agree it needs a bit of improving but it's hardly a dire situation.
And Saw's theming was pretty damn good.

#pmbo

Roller Poster
I don't think there is much wrong with our theming. Although, I haven't been to any theme park outside the UK, so I can't compare.
I agree that theming is limited from budget cuts and Brit's attiuteds. Also, another limiting factor would be vandilism.
I think that Thomas Land looks good, from the pics I've seen at least. SW6 should show us Merlin's theming standard, not the whole of the UK. If it's not good, which I doubt, then there's always Drayton's next project?