What's new

Least talked about coasters

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
First off, as Matt N might say, this may be a thread already so sorry.

This thread is simple- what are the least talked about coasters which you find interesting or want to bring attention to?
The other day I was browsing rcdb and Medusa: Steel Coaster popped up. I’d seen it once before, but I never hear anyone talk about it (or anything at SFM, for that matter)! For someone who’s ridden it (@gavin)- how is it? How’s the airtime?

What big attractions have you seen which are not mentioned much?

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Same happened with me when browsing through RCDB with Joker at Discovery Kingdom. It's an RMC, in a major park, yet no one seems to talk about it. I've always thought that Nemesis Inferno seems a bit forgotten about, especially considering it's a B&M in a country arguably lacking in high quality coasters. I'm sure there are others but they're the ones from the top of my head.

Last edited:

Edward M

Strata Poster
https://rcdb.com/2871.htm

In all seriousness though, I would say Mind Bender and the Space Mountains are really quality older coasters that don't get the praise they deserve. I'll also throw out Storm Runner cause it kicks a**, but it's overshadowed by Skyrush. I'm just sticking to coasters I've ridden because there's probably tons of Asian coasters that are amazing, but enthusiasts here rarely talk about them.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Um, I would say Manta, great ride awesome!
Great Bear
Talon
And Alpengeist, it's talked about a lot, just it needs to be put more positively

Snoo

The Legend
Afterburn at Carowinds. One of, if not my favorite B&M Invert (have a hard time deciding between it and Banshee) yet you only hear about it when people ride it then never again. It's in my Top 15 and I rave about it constantly.

YUNG_CHOPPA

Mega Poster
I enjoy Wild Eagle at Dollywood more than most enthusiasts do. I actually felt like it was pretty forceful & I love the aspect of a winged coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
First off, as Matt N might say, this may be a thread already so sorry.

This thread is simple- what are the least talked about coasters which you find interesting or want to bring attention to?
The other day I was browsing rcdb and Medusa: Steel Coaster popped up. I’d seen it once before, but I never hear anyone talk about it (or anything at SFM, for that matter)! For someone who’s ridden it (@gavin)- how is it? How’s the airtime?

What big attractions have you seen which are not mentioned much?

Medusa is excellent. I've only done a small number of RMC coasters, but it's a very strong one. Superman at the same park is also excellent, easily the best of its type if you take Steel Dragon 2000 out of the equation.

I'm always surprised at how Six Flags Mexico doesn't get more visits from American enthusiasts. Well, not really surprised I guess since it sort of just confirms the stereotype of Americans not traveling much, as well as listening to scaremongering Fox News crap. Mexico City is such an easy place to get to from pretty much anywhere in the US, there's a major park in Six Flags plus a quirky park with a large woodie and two Schwarzkopfs at La Feria Chapultepec and the city itself is fab as well as being very cheap.

It's a potential weekend trip for so many, but it gets ignored in favour of another 10-hour drive to Cedar Point. Makes no sense to me at all.

Matt N

CF Legend
If you live in a state like Texas, New Mexico or Arizona, couldn't you effectively drive to Six Flags Mexico?

Hutch

Strata Poster
Lightning Run - Excellent ride, it's only really talked about whenever someone rides it, usually mentioning something "Why aren't there more of these." I've heard people compare it to Mega Lites.

What else... maybe Kumba? It's not quite my favorite in the park (prefer Montu), but it's sooo good. It seems like Montu, Sheikra, and Cheetah Hunt are discussed more often.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
If you live in a state like Texas, New Mexico or Arizona, couldn't you effectively drive to Six Flags Mexico?
Lol, no. Dallas Texas to Mexico City.... 18 hours drive. Albuquerque New Mexico to Mexico City..... 23 hour drive... Phoenix Arizona to Mexico City.... 26 hour drive.... One way.

I'm always surprised at how Six Flags Mexico doesn't get more visits from American enthusiasts. Well, not really surprised I guess since it sort of just confirms the stereotype of Americans not traveling much, as well as listening to scaremongering Fox News crap.
Ugghhhh.... Hate the generalization. Mexico City may not be a massive draw for most Americans but literally thousands of Americans visit Mexico a day.... any given Cruise leaving from Texas or Alabama or Louisiana or Florida make one or two stops in in Mexico whether it be the island of Cozumel or mainland in Costa Maya..... Or ships from California traveling to Cabo San Lucas or Acapulco..... Or anyone in San Diego making a day trip down to Tijuana via car. Or anyone visiting Cancun for spring break. I've visited Mexico myself on four different trips and have 1 to 3 more semi in the works.. Doing a quick search I found a graph claiming that 35 million Americans visited Mexico in 2017. (I was one of them!)

But I definitely agree that Mexico City itself gets sensationalized negative press in American media, especially from our beloved Fox News.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Same happened with me when browsing through RCDB with Joker at Discovery Kingdom. It's an RMC, in a major park, yet no one seems to talk about it.

It’s very good, obviously, but not a standout RMC I guess. I do agree that I’m surprised it doesn’t get talked about more. I mean, it has all the great RMC elements, it just doesn’t feel particularly special amongst such a high calibre clan.

I will say Black Mamba doesn’t get talked about enough since Taron, it’s a bloody amazing invert <3. I will also say Mr Freeze: Reverse Blast which is criminally under-discussed. Also Talon, while admittedly mentioned enough as the best coaster at Dorney, seems to get overlooked when discussing the best inverts. Does anyone else think it’s the best one in the US?

I agree with whoever said Storm Runner too, best coaster in the park! I’d put forward Fahrenheit as well; Hershey isn’t all about Skyrush :eek:

Peet

Giga Poster
For me the least talked about coaster in the UK is our 3rd tallest coaster; the 2nd tallest full-circuit inverted coaster in the World. And it barely ever gets a mention - maybe because it's such an ordeal to ride, I still love it though!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Lol, no. Dallas Texas to Mexico City.... 18 hours drive. Albuquerque New Mexico to Mexico City..... 23 hour drive... Phoenix Arizona to Mexico City.... 26 hour drive.... One way.

The people in those states can drive to Mexico all right, but looking at the map, it seems that Mexico City lies approximately as far away from the US-Mexico border as Salt Lake City and New Orleans do. Phoenix Arizona is actually closer to Seattle than it is to Mexico City.

As for forgotten coasters, give my +2 to Odyssey and Millennium at Fantasy Island. Those are some pretty big coasters, certainly enormous on a UK scale, and it's strange that they're so tucked away and never spoken about. Wait, given the location of the park, it's not that surprising. Revision: How the heck did such a small and anonymous park end up with two custom coasters on that scale?

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Odyssey should feel more significant, but actually I found it really forgettable? Like the epitome of mediocre, which was weird since I expected it to be either really good or really terrible. If you look at it simply as a massive coaster in the UK then yeah, it’s surprising, but where the ride experience is concerned, I’m not sure there’s much to talk about.

Millennium does deserve a nod though I think, really enjoy that.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Americans don't travel is such bull ****. The size of the country is near the size as all of Europe. Just because it's one country doesn't mean we don't travel, but hey, we're all ****ing ignorant and don't wanna leave.

Mexico city is a ****ing trek. A 3 hour flight minimum isnt exactly convenient or right there. That said, Medusa is a must hit eventually, but when I can fly to Boston and get 100 creds in a week for 1/3 the price of airfare than going to Mexico City, I'm gonna do that every time. Just like everyone else would

To note, been to Mexico 4 of 5 times, not sure if I wanna count the Tijuana trip or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
The people in those states can drive to Mexico all right, but looking at the map, it seems that Mexico City lies approximately as far away from the US-Mexico border as Salt Lake City and New Orleans do. Phoenix Arizona is actually closer to Seattle than it is to Mexico City.
Right, so its not a realistic road trip to do. while it 'could' be done. If you wanted to make that argument you could say anyone in Fairbanks Alaska could Drive to SFMexico too!
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fai...076265ee841!2m2!1d-99.133208!2d19.4326077!3e0 4,700 miles and 80 hours later, you'd be there!