What's new

La Ronde/Ottawa/1000 Islands/Wonderland- PTR- ALL UP

Day 1- My Birthday & La Ronde

I was suppose to leave around five in the morning on the fourteenth, which is my birthday, but instead we left at about eleven at night on the thirteenth. The drive was ten hours to Montreal, and since most of the drive was done during the night, I slept for a lot of it. We had a hard time getting around Montreal once we got there, but eventually we found the bridge that goes over the St. Lawrence, and to my left I could see the park! We arrived in the parking lot at a little after ten, but it didn't actually open until eleven, so we had quite a while to wait. There was quite a bit of crowd, and I almost got trampled when the gates opened, but luckily almost everyone ran toward Vampire and Cobra, so I made my way to the back of the park where Goliath was, and to my surprise, it was literally a walk on for everything but the front row. So, I took back row, and soon enough we were off.

Goliath

Uhh, well it has more airtime hills than the newer B&M hypers, but unfortunately the airtime is just not very strong. The first drop was actually pretty fantastic, but the rest of it was just average floater over every hill. There are a few hills on the return trip that kinda give decent airtime, one hill of which I lost my phone on, but otherwise I think the coaster lacks a hammerhead turnaround which are really cool, as well as a helix. So overall, it's in my top twenty somewhere, but probably somewhere more towards 15-20 than 11-15. As for where it ranks among the hypers I have been on, it's second last to Raging Bull.. If the trims were off, that might be a different story, but sadly the trims were some of the most noticeable trims on any coaster I've ever been on.

7/10

After my first ride on Goliath, I noticed it was still a walkon, so I went on one more time and that was when my cell fell out of my pocket. So it was a pretty upsetting ride, but as for the actual quality of the coaster itself, it was a bit better than my first ride but still nothing amazing. I bought an on ride photo though, which I'll share whenever I get it scanned.

Since Monster was right near Goliath, I decided to go on that next. I went on this by myself because my dad decided he was gonna sit out with my stepmom.

Monster

Luckily, I went to the far side which had almost a walkon, compared to the closer side which had a huge line. I waited about five minutes, and I ended up sitting next to some French guy who kept trying to talk to me in his language. Eventually we were on our way down, and ummm, I have no idea how this beat El Toro in the Tournament of Thrills. It was about on par with Mean Streak as far as roughness goes, but little did I know that this side was going to be a ton smoother than the other side. It doesn't do anything really, just a bunch of turns and maybe a pop or two of airtime, but that was it. Definitely not up there as far as wooden coasters go.

5/10

Corkscrew was right next to Monster, so me and my dad hopped in line for it.

Corkscrew

What can I say? Something I noticed a lot throughout the rest of the day, this ride had absolutely no shade over the line, and no awning over the station, and mixed with 90+ degree weather, it really sucked. Good thing the line wasn't more than ten minutes, or I probably would have liquified. You didn't get to pick your seating, it was mostly just first come first serve, so we ended up second from the front. The ride itself was okay, basically what you would expect from a corkscrew coaster only with a few more random turns.

5/10

I'm pretty sure after this I went back to Monster to get my second credit on it, but this is where I realized how poor the operations are in this park. One train operation, with a line of maybe 50 people (seriously it was on the ramp leading to the station, so you figure maybe twenty minutes at the most), and I ended up waiting almost an hour for it. Not to mention I had two French kids in front of me talking ****, so that kind of annoyed me. At least the queue was covered, so I can't complain too badly, but finally I got on the ride, and yeah, it was terrible, and very rough.

Boomerang was next on the agenda..

Boomerang

No covered line anywhere once again, and it was a fairly long line. It was actually only maybe a 20 minute wait, but there were so many Flash Pass people and they kept just letting them on, and taking forever to load and check a train because they were too busy chatting and eating their stupid freezies. So finally we got on, and though it was a bit rougher than the other two I have been on, they're still fun rides in my opinion, and can be fairly intense.

6/10

I really wanted to do a water ride after this, but after looking at the line, we decided to skip it and much to my dismay, do the observation tower instead. It gave a good view of the park, and good thing we did it, because I totally forgot about the Dragon credit, until my dad said "What's that haunted castle thing over there" and I realized I completely missed it. So after we got off the observation tower, we went over around the Goliath area of the park again to pick up our Dragon credit.

Dragon

Besides someone letting out a horrible egg smelling fart in the enclosed part of the line and almost gassing everyone to death, it was a fairly short wait at about ten minutes, and the ride itself was kinda cute. It's pretty short, as it just goes down, around a few turns, and into a helix type thing, but it goes around twice and has a few lighting effects, so it turned out to be a fun kiddie coaster, almost like Skull Mountain or Thunder Run.

6/10

At this point, we absolutely needed to find some kind of water thing to cool us off, so we went around to Tobboggan Nordique, which had a long line so I just decided to skip it and go up to the kiddie area of the park to the little water fountain they had and played in that with my dad for a few minutes, haha. Hey, it beats waiting in line for more than an hour for a water ride!

We headed around to the Vampire and Cobra section of the park, where I was about to have the most horrible coaster experience I think I've EVER had.

Cobra

I had heard bad things about it, but I thought hey, people say Mantis is rough and it's really not too bad so this should be okay too. Okay, so it was one train operation yet again, and no covered lines yet again, but eventually after about twenty or so minutes (when it should have been ten at the most, horrible operations) we were boarding the train. As soon as we were about halfway into the loop, I wanted off. I was seriously swearing every word you can pretty much imagine, with lots of "OW" thrown in there. Basically what you should imagine is a Son of Beast in the form of a stand up coaster, that had the capability of causing my earrings to actually pour out blood and gave me an on and off headache for the rest of the night and into a bit of the next day.

2/10

I was pretty discouraged because before I went on Cobra, I saw Vampire wasn't running anymore, but luckily it began to operate once again!

Vampire

Okay, so a covered line, and two train operation; we're off to the right start, and kudos La Ronde for getting something right! I waited about ten to fifteen minutes for the back row of this, where I sat on the far right. Then I realized they made everyone keep their shoes on, whether they were flip flops or not, which is pretty stupid in my opinion, but whatever floats their boat. We were soon descending the first drop, and wow, definitely just as intense as the other Batman clones, only this was absolutely glass smooth.. My head didn't go anywhere near the restraint the entire time! This also has a cool, misty trench in it, which gives a neat effect and is good for cooling off in the hot weather. Overall it's my favourite Batman clone and I ended up riding twice.

9/10

I had all the credits I wanted, so the last thing we wanted to do was get a ride on the log ride. We waited only ten minutes, surprisingly, and the ride was pretty fun. We didn't get wet at all, except for a tiny splash or two, but still, it was a short wait, and it was a decent ride.

After that, it was only about four or five, so I decided I should just pick up some souveniers and head out, because at this point there wasn't anything else I could really get from the park. I didn't care too much about missing the two credits, one of which I would not be allowed to get anyway. It was too hot out, and the park operations were horrible that I was ready to leave and go eat somewhere.

The Park Itself

Yeah, it's a Six Flags park but it's definitely the worst one I have been to. Compared to Great America, and Great Adventure, and heck, even St. Louis, it should be very ashamed of itself! The ride operators weren't great at all, park operations were terrible with most things being one train operation with very slow loading and unloading, and there was no shade, anywhere. The atmosphere was very lacking in a lot of areas as well.. Some areas were a bit better than others, but overall nowhere I'd go back to.

6/10

Now, here's stuff you guys probably wanna see.. PICTURES!!. Keep in mind a lot of things were hard to get shots of, ESPECIALLY Goliath.

353_0452.jpg

Bridge that the park is right under.

353_0454.jpg

Yay for more bridge.

353_0453.jpg

We're here! A ten hour drive and my poor dad hadn't slept at all for over thirty hours.

353_0456.jpg

The entrance... Probably the nicest part of the entire park.

353_0457.jpg

Entrance yet again.

353_0458.jpg

353_0510.jpg

Oh look, a nice water feature.. It might give guests the impression that the park might be nice. Sadly, that impression is false.

353_0511.jpg

Another thing in the entrance plaza.

353_0461.jpg

Snapped a random picture of the Pirate ride on my way to Goliath. Come to think of it, the park doesn't have many good flats.

353_0464.jpg

I SEE IT!

353_0471.jpg

Grr why did they have to plant trees in such a bad spot. I could barely see the coaster!

353_0467.jpg

Yay, it's a brake run!

353_0468.jpg

It does have one of my favourite logos, though.

353_0469.jpg

That is basically the most of what you can see of the ride, unless you're in the observation deck or actually on the coaster.

353_0470.jpg

Sweet deal!

353_0496.jpg

From the observation tower.

353_0473.jpg

A carousel I snapped a shot of while walking to Monster.

353_0462.jpg

There it is! Two credits in one!

353_0478.jpg

Much like Mean Streak, it LOOKS impressive, but it's not.

353_0481.jpg

There she is again!

353_0474.jpg

Some track.

353_0500.jpg

From the observation tower, which did not have clean windows.

353_0477.jpg

As you can see, they paid much attention to keeping the guests cool and in the shade.

353_0482.jpg

Yay, track.

353_0484.jpg

Damnit, I missed the train.

353_0486.jpg

Boomyrangg!

353_0487.jpg

I find these coasters photogenic for some reason.

353_0488.jpg

Wheee!

353_0491.jpg

Not a very unique shot.

353_0492.jpg

Very intense going backwards..

353_0479.jpg

Yay for Canada!

353_0485.jpg

And yay for being eaten by a shark!

353_0475.jpg

But boo for water rides with humongous lines..

353_0476.jpg

BOOO!

353_0463.jpg

Pizza Pizza!

353_0460.jpg

Oh look, a random shot of a ferris wheel. If I were with CFers, they probably would have forced me on this, but since I wasn't with them, I didn't go anywhere near the thing!

353_0503.jpg

Uh.. Yah, it's indoor, that's the only shot I could get.

353_0502.jpg

A swing! Tour de Ville!

353_0504.jpg

Tobboggan Nordique! Which I think means Nordic Toboggan but I dunno.

353_0507.jpg

I spy a Canadian Flag.. And a missed credit.

353_0506.jpg

Ha, McDonalds is stalking me.

353_0508.jpg

The water feature me and my dad played in.. Sadly my lens decided not to open.

353_0509.jpg

I had to take a picture of this kiddie ride because it has probably more trees next to it than the entire park has, total.

353_0494.jpg

Cobra and Vampire, the next stop for me!

353_0516.jpg

I didn't know it would be so bad.. Actually I think I might have rather been bitten by its namesake than ride the damn thing.

353_0515.jpg

353_0514.jpg

You suck.. And you're not photogenic.

353_0512.jpg

Now HERE is a top ten coaster.

353_0513.jpg

Ah yes, two train operation, shade, and a good ride.. Something not found often at La Ronde.

353_0518.jpg

Yay!

353_0517.jpg

A misty trench.. I wasn't tall enough to get the shot from over the fence, booo.

353_0519.jpg

A shot tower that I didn't ride because the line was huge. Actually it wasn't huge, it had maybe fifty people, but with La Ronde 50 people probably is about a two hour wait.

353_0522.jpg

Not nice theming/atmosphere.

353_0523.jpg

A thing.. And my lens failed to open once again.

353_0524.jpg

The log ride!

And then we left..

PART 2 COMING SOON- OTTAWA AND THOUSAND ISLANDS

Ali

Mega Poster
Is the reason for you liking the Goliath logo so much because of all the nails on it? Reminds you of piercings? :wink:.

RCF

Strata Poster
Some of those pictures were fails. :wink: . Nice pictures though. Some great shots, and the shark one was pretty funny. He probably wouldn't have eaten you because he would get cut by all of your piercings.

^ Haha they were, the park was not photogenic though. Goliath could not be seen, Cobra was in a stupid spot, and Monstre wasn't great either. Corkscrew was hard to take pics of, so really, Boomerang, Vampire, and Toboggan Nordique were the only easy ones to get.

Anyway, OTTAWA!

Part 2- Trying to find a hotel, and OTTAWA!

353_0536.jpg

So after we left La Ronde, we were going to stay in Montreal for the night, but the city wasn't even really that nice, and it was extremely hard to get around, so we just said screw it, let's drive to Ottawa. Here are the two pictures I got of Montreal, one of which is a horrible quaility and drive-by picture of the Just for Laughs building, if anyone is familiar with the show:

353_0525.jpg

And the other is of random faces on a wall:

353_0528.jpg

So off we were, but not before stopping to get some delicious chicken, rice, and vegetables from a restaurant called St. Hubert or something. So it ended up that the drive was only suppose to be two hours, but we ended up getting lost, rerouting a few times, and then the horrible bad luck started in terms of finding a hotel.

Hotel 1- No vacancy
Hotel 2- Had a bar and strip club in the hotel
Hotel 3- $170 a night for a stupid dirty inn
Hotel 4- In an area that was under construction
Hotel 5- We couldn't find it because the GPS acted up
Hotel 6- No vacancy
Hotel 7- Too expensive
Hotel 8- No vacancy
Hotel 9- Vacancy but the clerk said it was the most expensive room but the worst room in the hotel so he referred us to the hotel across the street
Hotel 10- WIN!

And that is literally no exaggeration. We got to our hotel and it ended up being $119 a night, but it was in downtown Ottawa and it was a very nice, big room:

353_0532.jpg

353_0533.jpg

353_0535.jpg

It was more like an apartment than a hotel room.

Instead of going to bed right away, it was still my birthday, so my stepmom gave me a cake:

353_0534.jpg

Then I showered and went to bed.

The next morning, we woke up nice and early so we could see the changing of the guards at parliament hill. We walked there from our room, and it was only about a ten minute walk. We walked through this nice park:

353_0538.jpg

353_0537.jpg

Past the Veterans memorial:

353_0540.jpg

Passed by this nice building:

353_0546.jpg

And then we were there.. Parliament Hill! A place I've seen so much on TV and in pictures:

353_0547.jpg

353_0542.jpg

353_0545.jpg

353_0548.jpg

353_0549.jpg

353_0559.jpg

Amazing architecture, if you ask me..

So then the changing of the guards started, and that lasted about twenty or so minutes:

353_0550.jpg

353_0551.jpg

353_0554.jpg

353_0555.jpg

353_0558.jpg

353_0560.jpg

Then, we proceeded to take a tour both outside, and inside the Parliament building. My camera decided to die on the outside tour, but I got a couple pictures and then my dad ran and got me batteries so I could get plenty of pictures of the inside of the building. I'll only show you the main ones:

353_0562.jpg

That is one of Queen Victoria. BTW I had the hottest tour guide ever.. omg.

353_0603.jpg

The view of Gatineau, Quebec from the back of the Parliament building.

353_0594.jpg

The Senate!

353_0595.jpg

353_0596.jpg

More Senate-y goodness

353_0602.jpg

A lion

353_0609.jpg

Really neat stuff on the ceiling of an area in the building.

353_0611.jpg

Inside a memorial area of the building

353_0575.jpg

The House of Commons

353_0576.jpg

More House of Commons

353_0585.jpg

The Reading Room

353_0569.jpg

Cool ceiling

353_0572.jpg

Such a detailed building!

And one of my personal favourite areas in the building.. The Library:

353_0590.jpg

Queen Victoria sure is a popular lady

353_0589.jpg

353_0591.jpg

Books, books, and more books.

353_0563.jpg

That is the outside of the library.

Then later on, we just walked around downtown a bit, and went back to the hotel and rested until about six because it was ridiculously hot out! After that we went down to one of the restaurants and had a bite to eat. Here is just a random picture of one of the streets.. I have a lot more pictures but they're the ones my stepmom took and she hasn't sent them to me yet:

353_0621.jpg

And this is one of my other favourite buildings, but it's just a hotel:

353_0622.jpg

Then we went back to Parliament Hill as it got to be dark, so we could see the light and sound show, as well as the fireworks. I didn't get many pictures because my batteries decided to die on me again:

353_0626.jpg

A night picture of the Parliament building.

353_0642.jpg

They have a stray cat sanctuary on the hill.

353_0644.jpg

Looking over at Gatineau, where the fireworks were.

Then we walked to where the bars and stuff were just to get a look around, but by this point I had a horrible headache, so we didn't stay out too long and eventually just went back to the hotel room where I crashed in like, five seconds!

We wokeup a bit earlier that day so we could see the museum of civilization before we drove to Gananoque, home of the thousand islands! So off we were to the museum:

353_0669.jpg

353_0648.jpg

Cool story, the guy who built it was a Maitis or however you spell it, and believed 90 degree angles trapped spirits, so nothing in the building has a 90 degree angle.

353_0650.jpg

Stuff about Canadian Indians

353_0653.jpg

I'm on a BOAT.

353_0658.jpg

A dead viking because I am morbid like that.

353_0659.jpg

353_0660.jpg

They had a bunch of little villages set out and the ceiling really made you feel like you were outside, only without the scorching heat and sun that we experienced throughout the entire trip.

353_0654.jpg

Made out of postage stamps!

353_0657.jpg

Awesome ceiling.

353_0662.jpg

A ukranian church because myself and my dad are both ukranian so we decided to show some Ukranian pride :p .

353_0664.jpg

Part of the mythical creature exhibit.

And from the back of the museum, you got a good view of Parliament Hill. Too bad it was hazy as hell.

353_0667.jpg

353_0668.jpg

353_0665.jpg

On the way out of Ottawa, I saw this.. Spot the giant spider.

353_0646.jpg

We then drove the couple hour drive to Gananoque, which has the 1000 Islands. I didn't get really any pictures because my memory card was acting up, and didn't have very many pictures, but my stepmom got a lot so I will share those when I get them. We opted to take the 2.5 hour cruise of the islands:

353_0670-1.jpg

353_0671.jpg

Try to pronounce Gananoque.. I was way off, because usually a word like that would be pronounced Gan-an-oak based on the rules of French, but it's actually not.. So, GUESSING TIME!

353_0674.jpg

An American flag? Uhhh.. Well, the cruise does cross the NY border, but still, Gananoque is CANADIAN!

353_0678.jpg

Islands!

353_0680.jpg

Another island! What do you expect to see on a cruise of the 1000 islands?

353_0679.jpg

This island has a cool back story.. Apparantly the guy who attempted to assassinate Lincoln or something came here to hide out, and the island was set on fire one day, and two boaters went there and then found his body.

353_0683.jpg

Bolde Castle.. But that is not the castle, that is just the boat house.

353_0685.jpg

THIS is the castle.. Beautiful!

So after the boat cruise we went to try and find a hotel, in which we came upon a place with little cabins. Well, they were cute until we realized they were infested with ants, so we decided to stay here instead:

353_0687.jpg

Then we went to get Chinese food, came back to the hotel, watched some Big Brother, showered, and went to bed!

RCF

Strata Poster
Ok, great pictures, again. The Canadian flag on the castle just looked weird up there. I would expect a British flag or something and on the boat is the REAL flag! :p

marc

CF Legend
Cool report :).

You would think though after nearly losing your phone on the 1st go you would be more careful on the 2nd go lol.

^ Noo I didn't almost lose my phone on the first go.. I thought I felt something come out of my pocket on the second go but I didn't think or know it was my phone, but when I got back to the station, both my pockets were empty :(

^ Haha still, Behemoth is still right up there.. Same strong airtime, same great first drop, just Diamondback seems like it has a bit more to it for some reason. Maybe it's the setting and the watersplash, I dunno, because they're really not immensely different.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Taylor. You fail.

You had a bad day on Goliath if two trims were on. My ride had only one trim on and it barely bit. Also, Cobra? Come on. Grow some balls. Yeah, the ride vibrated a lot, but it was not rough at all. Plus, how can you beat that airtime hill?

And way to miss two credits!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Great report Tay :)

LiveForTheLaunch said:
353_0563.jpg

That is the outside of the library.

Flying buttresses for the win! :)

LiveForTheLaunch said:
Cool story, the guy who built it was a Maitis or however you spell it, and believed 90 degree angles trapped spirits, so nothing in the building has a 90 degree angle.

They let in the Hamsters of Tindalos... Or is it the Hounds of Tindalos - I always get those two mixed up ;)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hounds_of_Tindalos - I called one of my hamsters The Hamster of Tindalos - if you gave him a square edge, he'd chew his way free).

Love the building though, looks gorgeous!

LiveForTheLaunch said:
353_0685.jpg

THIS is the castle.. Beautiful!

That's NOT a castle :p It isn't crenelated! :D
(I'll let you look that one up for yourself)

rollerdude - life isn't only about coasters you know. I think there's actually something to be said positively about somebody who can look at a coaster and say "hey, it's just a coaster, bollocks to it".

Taylor. You fail.

You had a bad day on Goliath if two trims were on. My ride had only one trim on and it barely bit. Also, Cobra? Come on. Grow some balls. Yeah, the ride vibrated a lot, but it was not rough at all. Plus, how can you beat that airtime hill?

And way to miss two credits!

Yeah both trims were on.. But it doesn't even matter because the first few hills without trims weren't even that good either. It was okay, just nothing special. I got a trimless Behemoth the other day though.. That was delicious and will be in my Wonderland report later.

As for Cobra, I am not a puss when it comes to coasters. There are only three coasters I truly find rough; Son of Beast, Cobra, and Wild Beast, one of which I gladly rode again when I went to Wonderland. So, I do have balls, just Cobra is not something I would ever reride, and if you consider it, you also don't have earrings that get smashed into the restraints. Yes, it's my fault in the end, but even my dad said it was horrible and he can be what you consider part of the general public. Hell, I would even ride Son of Beast again, gladly, before I rode Cobra ever again.

It isn't crenelated!

"Crenulation or Crenulation cleavageis a texture formed in metamorphic rocks such as phyllite, schist and some gneiss by two or more stress ..."

Yay!

But, I don't know/care if it was a castle, I just know the name of it was Bolde Castle, so figured it was. Either way, it was really pretty.. The picture doesn't do it justice.

rollerdude - life isn't only about coasters you know. I think there's actually something to be said positively about somebody who can look at a coaster and say "hey, it's just a coaster, bollocks to it".

Well, it wasn't that I didn't wanna ride the coaster, but it wasn't gonna be anything special, and the heat was almost unbareable, so I just wanted to get on Cobra, Vampire, and hit the road. I couldn't get on Marche du Mille Pattes either as far as I've read from other trip reports, so I just didn't even try.

In the end I'm glad I didn't, because my final count for the season since I won't be getting anymore new parks is 125, and I HATE HATE HATE ending up at numbers like 123 or 127 for example.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
It isn't crenelated!

"Crenulation or Crenulation cleavageis a texture formed in metamorphic rocks such as phyllite, schist and some gneiss by two or more stress ..."

Yay!

But, I don't know/care if it was a castle, I just know the name of it was Bolde Castle, so figured it was. Either way, it was really pretty.. The picture doesn't do it justice.

Try again Crenelation or even Crenellation. What's the point of trying to teach somebody and expand their horizons if they don't even know their vowels :p

Anyway, it is actually a really nice building, but not a castle :p

^ Ohhh

"battlement: a rampart built around the top of a castle with regular gaps for firing arrows or guns "

Well I guess I should sue them for false advertising then :p