What's new

Kings Island | Mystic Timbers | GCI Wooden Coaster

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Well it looks like I was right trusting the plan leak at least. Sheesh, looks like I can't even make a safe guess so as not to be called stupid (even though people ate words about Thunderbird and Lightning Rod) without someone finding issue with what I said. Not to mention if I guessed differently I would have been called dumb and people would have eaten words when I was right. Charming.

Caddy enthusiasts aside, this looks decent. Prowler has decent reviews and this looks pretty aggressive, and having seen the site it should set the stage for a good classic KI-style run through the hills. Not sure it'll rank very highly for me, though. But GCI could really bring it here and this could be on par with Thunderhead. Not to mention we might have kind of a cool show to look forward to in the shed. Might also have a cool lighting package on the lift.

I'll drink the Kool Aid. If anything it's a new +1 right down the street for me. ;)

Ben

CF Legend
^Oh let me get my little violin out for you.

I think the ride will be fine - not amazing, and a bit 2006, but fine, but I just don't get why it fits at KI.

KI's most famous ride is Beast and to the GP they're not going to know this will have more airtime etc, they're going to know it's shorter, slower and smaller - how do you push something that's a less interesting version of a Coaster from 1979 in the eyes of the public?!

It would be like Cedar Point getting a 150ft B&M Hyper, it's just a weird choice.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I was going to say I really liked the name, but if it is a drop track in that shed then I'll be a bit pissed off since they're just taking the "beware of the dark, cursed forest" idea and sellotaping it on theirs. I know it's a bit of a stretch asking the Cedar Fair creative team to think up a storyline but go "hmmmm even though it's my job I can't think of anything, what's everyone else done, oh cool lets copy that" Even the trains are an old car like Verbolten - that is a bit particular and not exactly an obvious choice for a through-the-forest wood coaster.

Not too exciting, but I'm sure it'll be a great ride. Cedar Fair seem to love gimmicks on their large coasters (tallest, fastest, longest etc) and it looks like they're starting to use them on the smaller main additions. (All of this is just speculation but what else could be 'in the shed'? Ride ops distributing VR headsets? A gerst-style inversion? Gimmick nonetheless)

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Well it looks better than SW8! Names a bit odd but certainly hints there's something interesting in the barn. Im not convinced by the idea of a vertical drop which got me thinking into alternatives. I wonder if a Vekoma madhouse style illusion could be pulled off in a coaster train???

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Liking the look of this, nice and twisty with loads of pops. Not overly sure why KI would be the ones to build it when they already have Beast, but looks like a fun ride, especially in the dark.

Agree with the drop track suggestion, why else have a big box under the shed.

Lofty

CF Legend
This kinda looks quite fab. If there is a form of trick track/track surprise of some kind, this could be a really good indication that GCI are trying to think outside of the box and develop their somewhat ageing product (also a good sign for SW8).

I don't think there will be a 'trick' of any kind with the track though, I think you're looking at more of a show scene where the train stops and an immersive 'scene' plays around the car (think the fake station on RotM).

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I'm almost certain in that shed it'll be a blast of air and a drop track, they're clearly copying 13 and Verbolten with the theme. Keeping it secret is stupid and unnecessary imo (unless its something original!). This looks better than 13 and Bolt and of course its the first time a drop track has ever been used on a wooden coaster so hopefully it will work well and be free of technical issues.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
The video that CF just shared on facebook (cant link as im at work) shows the barn on the same elevation as the station.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
DelPiero said:

That's the main reason I thought it must be a drop track (that brings you back up to the same level). Although this doesn't show that...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoasterForce/status/758884423479603201[/tweet]
tweet

You can see it in the pov
6SZFZzQ.png

Snoo

The Legend
Ben said:

I think the ride will be fine - not amazing, and a bit 2006, but fine, but I just don't get why it fits at KI.

KI's most famous ride is Beast and to the GP they're not going to know this will have more airtime etc, they're going to know it's shorter, slower and smaller - how do you push something that's a less interesting version of a Coaster from 1979 in the eyes of the public?!

It would be like Cedar Point getting a 150ft B&M Hyper, it's just a weird choice.

Pretty much this.

It doesn't look bad by any stretch of the imagination but it doesn't blow the doors off. It's rather short, doesnt do anything 'new', and it very Beast-esque. I think this may be one of the better GCI's but that isn't exactly anything special special.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
As others have said, it's not exactly anything special - but it'll probably be great for the park with a family ride of that magnitude and GCI is always a good thing.

Name is stupid though and I hate the fact that we didn't get the typical gorgeous CF/SF animations :(

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^The animation renderings are usually done by the manufacturer, not the park/chain. GCI don't have the license to use the same software/program B&M and Intamin use.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Lofty said:
I think you're looking at more of a show scene where the train stops and an immersive 'scene' plays around the car (think the fake station on RotM).
I say we directly rehash the end of Adventure Express. :razz:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMZSLuw2oz0[/youtube]

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
It would be nice if they did something original, but it's likely to be a controlled drop. First drop on a wooden coaster will help promote it to the GP since the coaster isn't the tallest, fastest, longest, etc.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Pink Panther said:
DelPiero said:

That's the main reason I thought it must be a drop track (that brings you back up to the same level). Although this doesn't show that...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoasterForce/status/758884423479603201[/tweet]
tweet

You can see it in the pov
6SZFZzQ.png

That brick you can see there is just the default station in NoLimits2, it's not in the actual shed rendering, so if it's not a drop, what could it be?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Ben said:

And this is a pretty good description of what I think is wrong with the industry right now. New coasters don't need to bigger more interesting versions of something, they don't need records and stupid gimmicks to set themselves apart. I partially blame Alton Towers for proliferating this myth. Its probably why no park in the USA will get a mega-lite any time soon despite them being one of the best designs on the planet.

There seems to be this myth that The GP will know or care about these records. You make the point they dont know this ride will have loads of airtime but i contend they also won't know its shorter, slower and smaller than the Beast either. The park won't advertise it and none of the GP will look it up.
The GP will still go to a park when a new coaster is added even if they don't advertise WORLDS FIRST in big letters all over it. The GP will see a new wooden roller coaster advertised and if anything with go "Oh their other wooden rides are great, another new one should also be great. If this ride is good it will stand on its own and riders will enjoy it just as much as any other ride there.

I get the this ride is placed in a poor position argument way more than the "This ride doesn't fit this park" argument. If its a good ride it fits any park anywhere.

Ben

CF Legend
[vimeo][/vimeo]But that's, simply not how the Amusement Industry works?

You can like it or not, but records work.

If you look at their social media feeds, and ours, a lot of people are just going 'Oh, it's Beast?'

It's obvious just looking at it it's not as big as Beast (and especially Son of Beast for those that remember it) and people are commenting on it. You know how famous say, Pepsi Max Big One, is here, and you think if Blackpool built a Mega Lite the public wouldn't go, but that's a smaller version of that?

Like, sorry, but everything in the World nowadays is based on being a better version of what has come before it - if you don't improve there's no progress.