What's new

Kings Island | Mystic Timbers | GCI Wooden Coaster

Snoo

The Legend
God.. it's just so.. underwhelming. Given whats been put out recently, this just doesn't capture the imagination and make you excited.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Overall, I do expect this to be a "good" roller coaster. Prowler was a fun number; while not my top favorite GCI by any measure, it did well for what it was designed.

.... There remains however irony of this coaster being placed next to Beast. :p

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
No details yet on #WhatsInTheShed
If the image is anything to go by, it's an outline of a person with their arms taped to their side and a spooky detached, floating head. Could be the most incredible thing in the world if it's that.

codeman94

Mega Poster
my guess is there's nothing interesting in the shed, they're just using it as a tease. I seem to remembers they did the same thing while Maverick was under construction at Cedar Point. In the promotional videos they were intentionally ambiguous about what happens in the tunnel. With Mystic Timbers they are really doubling down on it with a full-on campaign.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ That Maverick tunnel launch was fantastic - they used misters and light packaging for a great strobe effect.
... Unfortunately the misters interfered with the sensor array, and were removed within weeks of Maverick's opening. :p
Additional fun fact - those misters were later deployed on Shoot the Rapids (RIP), and are now featured as a mist effect for Rougarou.

With how much they've built up the shed, there is surely something in it. And Kings Island, unlike it's pure Cedar Fair brethren, actually carries the ability to keep effects working on their rides!

Lofty

CF Legend
There's a difference between a bit of a tease and using the entire #WhatsInTheShed as the marketing campaign. There will without doubt be some form of special effect, whether that be a trick track effect or environmental effect, it will have something.

I also really like the elevations!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I'm gonna say it's a thematic effect of some sort without (much) special track effects.

I literally can't get excited about this project, it's so uninteresting.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I literally can't get excited about this project, it's so uninteresting.

Well, at least it has something somewhat notable going for it: It's the second-tallest all-wood coaster built outside China in nine years. Since T-Express opened in 2008, only Wodan, Fjord Flying Dragon and two of the Jungle Trailblazers have been built taller than Mystic Timbers.

Ben

CF Legend
^Really Outlaw Run should count, it's only got a slightly skewed height statistic because the lift is on a hill.

And then to discount things like Goliath and Wildfire because they have some steel in their structure is a bit of a reach.

Basically, stop trying to find ways to make this seem interesting.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Well, at least it has something somewhat notable going for it: It's the second-tallest all-wood coaster built outside China in nine years. Since T-Express opened in 2008, only Wodan, Fjord Flying Dragon and two of the Jungle Trailblazers have been built taller than Mystic Timbers.
You might think that Outlaw Run is two feet shorter than this one, but that's not really the case. Outlaw Run has a 162 foot drop and that's at least 55 taller than the this one's.
Goliath is 165 feet tall with a 180 foot drop and Wildfire is nearly 184 feet tall with an almost 161 foot drop. Both are wooden coasters built within the last few years and well above Mystic Timber's 109 foot tall structure.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
You might think that Outlaw Run is two feet shorter than this one, but that's not really the case. Outlaw Run has a 162 foot drop and that's at least 55 taller than the this one's.
Goliath is 165 feet tall with a 180 foot drop and Wildfire is nearly 184 feet tall with an almost 161 foot drop. Both are wooden coasters built within the last few years and well above Mystic Timber's 109 foot tall structure.

Yes, but all of those are hybrid woodies with inversions. The influx of RMCs has been a wonderful thing to entusiasts and industry alike, but traditional, large woodies seem to have died off completely in recent years. If you disregard Lightning Rod as well (which is built on a hillside, and while it has a lot larger height difference than Mystic Timbers, it lacks a tall, freestanding lift hill), this is actually the tallest, traditional woodie to be built in the US since El Toro.

It's not a defense of this coaster, though, I agree with the rest of you that it seems rather mediocre, especially with Beast a stone throw away. But I think it's an interesting observation. It seems like parks have collectively agreed to all go the extra mile when they build large woodies nowadays, and slap inversions onto them as if size isn't enough anymore. Arguably, with the technology available, it has become a "waste" not to have inversions when you're spending millions of dollars on a woodie anyway. Build anything taller than, say, 40 metres, and inversions are practically a requirement. Mystic Timbers isn't an unusually large woodie per se, it just appears to be a rather large coaster for the "not quite big enough for inversions" size bracket. Strange how technology marches on...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Sorry. Even though I quoted you I didn't notice that you wrote "all-wood coaster", but then I could really care less if a woodie uses wooden, steel or a combination of both when it comes to supports. It's the track that affects the ride and that's all I really care about.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
If you disregard Lightning Rod as well (which is built on a hillside, and while it has a lot larger height difference than Mystic Timbers, it lacks a tall, freestanding lift hill), this is actually the tallest, traditional woodie to be built in the US since El Toro.
Good point - it is interesting to think that ten years ago the difference between steel or wooden supports, and the advent of Intamin's pre-fab technique were considered the difference makers in the wooden space. While GCI and GG surged with some great additions for the mid to late 00s, it's funny to think how "antiquated" their approach is now a days. Roll the clocks back to when Arrow was in business - they were a trendsetter for decades without any need for major track and train design improvement. Time does march forward - and increases in speed!

I'm very interested to see how White Water Canyon will change with Mystic Timbers. The interaction was tough to read due to the poor environment rendering in the CGI video - I just hope they're able to keep tree removal to a minimum for the benefit of both the coaster and the water ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I didn't realize Mystic Timbers' turnaround would run directly by the railroad and railroad maintenance shed. Should afford some great views!

Also appears that there will be 5 cross-overs with White Water Canyon.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Any idea #whatsintheshed yet? It's the only thing I'm really interested about tbh.