What's new

Kings Island announcement March 18 "Something Big"

So the announcement should now be underway (if I've got my time zones correct).

The words "anti-climax" are springing to mind, but we'll have to see...

So...

Dinosaurs Alive! at Kings Island debuts May 26, 2011

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – Visitors to Kings Island will have an opportunity to step back in time to periods between 245 million to 65 million years ago when the world's largest animatronic dinosaur park debuts May 26, 2011. More than 60 life-sized dinosaurs will be on display in Dinosaurs Alive! at Kings Island, including 56 animatronic models, in a spectacular outdoor Jurassic forest setting.

The multi-sensory and interactive dinosaur park brings inspiration, science and technology together at Kings Island where guests will also hear the sounds and see the movements of 60-plus full-sized animatronic creations made to replicate nearly every feature of the dinosaurs. Each of the animatronic dinosaurs is hand-carved and covered with skin-like materials.

The six main scenes and nine thematic exhibits found along the more than 4,000-foot long path spread over 12.5 wooded acres tells a very compelling story for guests about what the dinosaurs ate, when and where they lived, how they protected themselves, and how they adapted to their prehistoric world.

The highlight of Dinosaurs Alive! is the world's largest animatronic dinosaur, the Ruyang Yellow River dinosaur, which measures an incredible 72 feet long, 12 feet wide and 30 feet high! Other animatronic dinosaurs include the vicious looking Irratator and its cousins, the Baryonyx and the Spinosaurus, the lizard-like Stegosaurus, the meat-eating Tyrannosaurs Rex, three-horned Triceratops and the flying Pteranodon.

Four of the dinosaurs have interactive consoles which allow guests to guide dinosaur movement so they can see how scientists believe each dinosaur moved its arms, tail, mouth and eyes. Other highlights include an excavation site replica, a kids' paleontological dig site where visitors can uncover prehistoric fossils, and a 1,500 square-foot dinosaur-themed gift shop that will feature more than 500 items.

"Dinosaurs Alive! is a long-term investment and reflects our commitment to providing our guests with world-class thrills, fun and family entertainment," Kings Island vice president and general manager Greg Scheid said. "The sights, sounds and movements of the life-like dinosaurs will excite and educate guests of all ages."

The dinosaurs, which are scientifically accurate based on the latest paleontological knowledge, were created by the Canada-based company Dinosaurs Unearthed.

Dinosaurs Unearthed is an innovative traveling exhibition company that creates dynamic, multi-sensory experiences about the fascinating world of dinosaur discovery. Launched in 2005, the company offers unique, multi-faceted exhibitions to museums, science centers and zoos throughout the world.

Dinosaurs Alive! at Kings Island will be open daily beginning May 26 from 10:00 a.m. until dusk. The dinosaur park is not included with general park admission or a 2011 season pass. A separate admission ticket of just $5.00 is required for this major attraction.

Guests visiting Kings Island can purchase Dinosaurs Alive! admission tickets at the park or in advance online through the park's website at www.visitkingsisland.com.

Kings Island is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to Kings Island, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

Source: http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/ ... /index.cfm

Sounds alright, but I think the title of "something big", which obviously describes dinosaurs, may have got our hopes up for something mind blowing a bit too much. Well, it did mine.

It sounds like my HELL.

I detest some animatronics. Some are ok in situe and lighting etc. Such as Dinosaur and stuff. But yeah, a walk through a woods with interactive Dinosaur animatronics. No thanks.

Yeah. dumb.

And sorry Mike, you're right, the walk-through will open this year.

Apparently dinosaur walk through + Windseeker = roller coaster.

(Cedar Point and Knott's receiving the others).

Don't forget about CANADA, we're important too. Wonderland is getting one too :p .

I knew it wouldn't be anything dramatic. If it were a coaster or something, they'd be building up the excitement and anticipation more than they have. I'm not really thrilled, I saw some dino exhibit thing ages ago at the Detroit zoo and it really wasn't that exciting. It does seem like a bit of a random attraction though.

-lofty- said:
It sounds like my HELL.
I'll take you to the dinosaur park in Wales. It's just a park made up of dinos that make bad quality noises and move really badly. :p

This sounds very similar to Dinosaur Adventure in Norfolk. I went when I was about 12, and even back then it was bloody brilliant - I didn't expect it to be as good a day out as that and my mum even said it was amazing. If it is anything like that one (or better), I can see this going a VERY good investment.

They tried this at IoA and it failed, it was rubbish :(

Are people at a theme park really interested in anything that they cannot ride?

Sorry seems a waste of time and money.

Totally bummed... If KD makes a trip to KI this year, I will most definatly skip this. I hope we can delay KI for next year when they hopefully get a new coaster

Before the Black Hole appeared at Alton Towers, that space was fenced off and all full of plastic dinosaurs in a walk-thru manner.

I thought it was GREAT at the time. That would have been before I was a even a teenager though.

(they moved the plastic dinos to 'haunt' the log flume for a couple of seasons, but they were soon extinct)

So this sounds tosh to me.

I thought IOA opened theirs again this year? That one right by the River Ride? I can't remember the name of it to save my life though..

I was really happy when I first saw it now all I can say is, why, why, why?
I was sort of hoping for like a new ride, but a dinosaur walk, boring.

-lofty- said:
I thought IOA opened theirs again this year? That one right by the River Ride? I can't remember the name of it to save my life though..

TriceraTOPS Encounter or something? Yeah, that opened end of last year at least I think?

It's supposedly awful.

It is shut again, I cannot being to tell you how bad it was.

The actual effects were great but that was about it.