What's new

Kid dies after falling from "Python Pit" coaster

A

Anonymous

AP said:
CHICAGO – Authorities say a 3-year-old boy fell out of a roller coaster and has died at an amusement park in a Chicago suburb.

Authorities say the boy was riding the Python Pit roller coaster about 7 p.m. Saturday with his twin brother when he slipped under a safety bar and fell off the ride in the northwest suburban of Norridge.

Police Chief James Jobe tells the Chicago Tribune he thinks the boy met all the requirements for the ride. He says the incident at the amusement park Go Bananas appears to be a tragic accident.

The boy was from Dolton, about 20 miles south of Chicago. His identity has not been released.
Source - Yahoo
Another article: Chicago Sun-Times

Actually spotted this on a Swedish news site before I found one in English for you lot. It's a tragic thing that have happened, but I wonder what the parents thought when they let their kids ride it alone since they are just 3 years old...

To be fair, if your child meets all the height requirements there is no reason that you should be required to ride with them, unless you think they could do something stupid.

If it's true that he slipped under the bar then I'd have thought it was the parks fault for having the wrong restrictions or not checking restraints properly.

The photo dominoes posted is rather strange considering it's an indoor coaster.
After seeing those photos, I'm still having a hard time understanding how the kid fell out & suffered fatal injuries. The coaster sure looks harmless enough to let the kids ride on their own.

The report I read said he wriggled from the restraint, stood up on the seat, and fell backwards. Sounds plausible.

^Yeah, I mean, it doesn't actually say what killed him. Could've been a broken neck (quite plausible) or some sort of haemorrhage that killed him later on etc.

That's sad, I've been on a Python Pit clone or whatever and they seem pretty harmless but obviously a three year old falling or being hurt on something like that would have more serious consequences than if it were one of us.

Very sad, though.

I think he hit his head on the train (he apparently fell down between the two cars) then fell 10 ft onto the floor. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Hixee said:
Could've been a broken neck (quite plausible) or some sort of haemorrhage that killed him later on etc.

Nic said:
I think he hit his head on the train (he apparently fell down between the two cars) then fell 10 ft onto the floor.

Does anyone else want to take a stab at exactly how the child met his gruesome, untimely end?

My thoughts are with his family etc.

gavin said:
Does anyone else want to take a stab at exactly how the child met his gruesome, untimely end?

My thoughts are with his family etc.
And coming up next on 'Things you don't expect to hear Gavin say...'

(Sorry, bad taste...) cool)

Nic said:
The report I read said he wriggled from the restraint, stood up on the seat, and fell backwards. Sounds plausible.
Should have read the report but went by what loefet posted, which made it sound like the kid just slipped from under the lapbar & fell out. It sounds implausible without him doing anything (like wriggling out & standing on the seat or something).

I was reading about this last night. Just thinking about what happened tears me up. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.