What's new

Kentucky Kingdom | Lightning Run | Chance Rides Hyper GT-X

Snoo

The Legend
Re: Kentucky Kingdom | Lightning Run | Chance Rides Hyper GT

Ok.. so old track style + banking = this will suck.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

One would think that, while the track may look the same, their shaping skills has improved.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

TheCoasterCruiser said:
One would think that, while the track may look the same, their shaping skills has improved.

Hopefully they finally bought a computer and tossed out the wire hangers.
:--D

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Track is starting to be put into place. Here's the bottom of the 100 foot drop.

1796794_729292057104969_812509018_o.jpg

From the park's Facebook page.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

ECG said:
Track is starting to be put into place. Here's the bottom of the 100 foot drop.

1796794_729292057104969_812509018_o.jpg

From the park's Facebook page.
I really like the colors on this ride, If it were my ride I would have preferred a little lighter green, but still it's nice to see some parks getting unusual color combinations.

Snoo

The Legend

TheCoasterCruiser said:

This guy lofty. Let us pray they have improved..

therick311

Mega Poster

What was wrong with the old track style? Or the shaping of it, for that matter?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

therick311 said:
What was wrong with the old track style? Or the shaping of it, for that matter?

Arrow Dynamics, which is the company that S&S merged/bought and got this track system from is notorious for using wire coat hangers to plan and design their roller coasters, despite the fact that computers existed and were available.

Even this:
apple-macintosh.jpg

is better

than this:
h15.gif

rollermonkey said:
TheCoasterCruiser said:

Hopefully they finally bought a computer and tossed out the wire hangers.
:--D

therick311

Mega Poster

I thought Chance bought Morgan. Morgan's old coasters still ride pretty well using this track system.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

My bad. I'd never noticed that Morgan used the 'Vekoma/Arrow style' track before SD2K, despite having actually ridden them all. Odd that SD2K uses a different track type then...

therick311

Mega Poster

If my memory serves me correctly, they needed the track for SD2K to be stronger due to the height. I believe the rails are larger than normal gage. I believe this is why it used different trains as well.

BBH

Giga Poster

The track style had nothing to do with it, the only reason that Arrow rides were shaped the way they were was because Toomer used to use wire coat hangers for preliminary shaping and would actually incorporate those designs into the final ride. That's why the shaping on rides like Demon, Desperado, and Magnum are so wonky. Morgan used computer design for years with this track style without an issue regarding shaping, and Arrow used a similar version for Tennessee Tornado.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

therick311 said:
If my memory serves me correctly, they needed the track for SD2K to be stronger due to the height. I believe the rails are larger than normal gage. I believe this is why it used different trains as well.

Considering how many supports that ride have, I doubt it. The different track was most likely Morgan's desire to try the outward steel track.

BBH

Giga Poster

_koppen said:
therick311 said:

Considering how many supports that ride have, I doubt it. The different track was most likely Morgan's desire to try the outward steel track.
The absurd number of supports on SD2K is due to earthquake protection, which exploded the cost to $52,000,000 USD at the time, which is about $71.7 million in 2012 dollars.