What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

Honestly I think that there are too many jobs on the line for this to stop for the sake of a species of spider. Other reasons may well stop it but it won't be this. No matter how many swampies protest in the swamp/marsh.

Peet

Giga Poster
Honestly I think that there are too many jobs on the line for this to stop for the sake of a species of spider. Other reasons may well stop it but it won't be this. No matter how many swampies protest in the swamp/marsh.
Yeah I think you are spot on with this, it can't be good news for the project but it's worth mentioning some key points in favour of the project:
- Designation of the area as an SSSI doesn't necessarily stop development (because of the project's NSIP status).
- The resort won't eliminate anywhere near the whole of the swampland (there will still be plenty of space for the jumping spider to roam).
- As per PY Gerbeau's comments the project has already covered all the environmental issues in its application, so it won't have to do any new load of work to cover this.

rob666

Hyper Poster
The "supposed"park hasn't covered all the environmental issues in it's application, it has barely started.
It tried to reuse the original report from a decade ago, using cut and paste from the original document, and hasn't responded to the relevant agencies enquiries from back then...left legitimate enquiries unanswered for a decade.
A lot of the required information has not been provided so the agencies can give a reasoned response to the plans...despite requesting the information years ago...it is all in the consultation document appendices.
There is a massive load of new work to be done regarding environmental matters, that should, and could, have taken place over the last ten years or so...Gerbeau's comments are just that...comments, and factually incorrect.
Will still never happen in my lifetime.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
The "supposed"park hasn't covered all the environmental issues in it's application, it has barely started.
It tried to reuse the original report from a decade ago, using cut and paste from the original document, and hasn't responded to the relevant agencies enquiries from back then...left legitimate enquiries unanswered for a decade.
A lot of the required information has not been provided so the agencies can give a reasoned response to the plans...despite requesting the information years ago...it is all in the consultation document appendices.
There is a massive load of new work to be done regarding environmental matters, that should, and could, have taken place over the last ten years or so...Gerbeau's comments are just that...comments, and factually incorrect.
Will still never happen in my lifetime.
This is maybe a bit pessimistic but trying to be realistic...
Regardless of the London Resort and mistakes made or blatant posturing over the last 10 years, I doubt we will see a new UK theme park with roller coasters taller than 150ft ish or the type of coaster line up in those plans (they always looked too good to be true to me) built any time soon. There is just too much red tape now all over the country. Even IF the London Resort got further surely there are still issues with the closeness of the London City airport when we are talking about big roller coasters (unless you are only building launchers I guess).

Our best bet seems to be to enjoy new roller coasters abroad mostly.

Furthermore (off topic) what worries me is this past year many people will have adapted or accepted the just stay at home and enjoy entertainment there lifestyle due to restrictions. Not good for the industry long term. Many people seem to be hoping for a return to "normality" / how things were but I'm not so sure that is going to happen at all.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
City Airport is a non-issue here, there are already cable stayed bridge supports approximately the same height as Kingda Ka between the site and the airport (the bridge deck itself is in Hypercoaster territory) and power lines which dwarf that Saudi 600ft thing that will never happen are literally on site.

bdrizzyb

Roller Poster
Yes!!! I do think that out of anywhere in the UK that will get planning permission for a hyper/giga/strata coaster it would be the London resort due to the facts of taller structures nearby and on site!
Hope if this does go ahead that we could maybe see tall coasters, if not for the opening, possibly in the future!
It would also be nice to see colourful coasters with 'happier themes for a change in this country!
Also does anyone think they may use parts of the space reserved for nature as expansion land 20 or so years down the line?

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Yes!!! I do think that out of anywhere in the UK that will get planning permission for a hyper/giga/strata coaster it would be the London resort due to the facts of taller structures nearby and on site!
Hope if this does go ahead that we could maybe see tall coasters, if not for the opening, possibly in the future!
It would also be nice to see colourful coasters with 'happier themes for a change in this country!
Also does anyone think they may use parts of the space reserved for nature as expansion land 20 or so years down the line?
On the last question, I hope not to be honest. I want the park, but the nature space is essential if this country is to improve its biodiversity.

Matt N

CF Legend
The BBC is now being strongly encouraged to back away from the London Resort due to environmental concerns surrounding the project; a petition encouraging the BBC to withdraw its involvement from the project has now racked up over 2,000 signatures: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/bbc-urged-to-scrap-theme-park-plans-245376/

Oh dear... could the SSSI designation and ensuing environmental issues scupper the project, or do we think that PY Gerbeau and the team will find a way around them?

Matt N

CF Legend
I really can't rack my brain around the fact that people are caring so much about a ****ing spider. Build the park! Starting to get a bit ridiculous now.
In fairness, it is apparently a very rare species of spider that only exists at one other location in the UK, so through a biodiversity lens, I can understand the concern.

However, the developers have said that they have taken into account the site’s environmental challenges, and they intend to progress with the project in spite of the SSSI classification, which must surely be promising!

Hopefully they can find a way for nature and the park to coexist happily; they did allocate a large part of the land for being left as an area of nature, so maybe that’s how they’re getting around it?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I really can't rack my brain around the fact that people are caring so much about a ****ing spider. Build the park! Starting to get a bit ridiculous now.
It happens.

This is clearly not to the same scale, but a fairly large housing project a few minutes walk from where I grew up had to be canceled when they found a rare newt, and it ended up being turned into a mini nature reserve.

Peet

Giga Poster
The petition was started 2 months ago and has 2,000 signatures - that's not a lot. Remember that obviously hopeless petition to rebuild the American Adventure? That got 11,000.