What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Not about the London Resort per se but for those who are perhaps wondering why so many people are negative about the chances of London Resort?

I re-came across this pre London Resort plan for a Theme Park on almost the exact same location just over the river in Rainham Marshes.

For those with long memories you may remember this was the plan to build a Universal Studios in East London. The problem was the company wasn't set on London and were looking at Paris too and it seemed Paris had the edge.

This article from June 1990 explains some of the details
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-06-12-fi-236-story.html

Now as you can tell by the lack of a great Universal Studios park outside London Or Paris the plans eventually fell apart although I cant imagine the details as to what happened. But it shows that its now been at least 31 years since the mention of a big brand East London Theme Park. No wonder people are sceptical

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Now as you can tell by the lack of a great Universal Studios park outside London Or Paris the plans eventually fell apart although I cant imagine the details as to what happened. But it shows that its now been at least 31 years since the mention of a big brand East London Theme Park. No wonder people are sceptical
Hm. Whaddaya know, that's another argument to put on the pile next to all the others. The historical bungled promises are nice to know about, but as far as reasons to be skeptical about the London Resort goes, I'd say the argument pales a little compared to the recent-ish history of this project, the scope of the undelivered promises, the extreme vagueness of its details, and the laughable timeframe. I don't think I've seen a project presentation with more hot air than this one, possibly except Dubailand which lies in the middle of a desert.

spicy

Giga Poster
If only Universal had the initial proposal rather than Paramount we may have been onto something here.

You could literally cut and paste the Singapore park layout onto this piece of land, throw in some Potter and it would be a licence to print money for Universal and the best park in the UK by an absolute mile.

cookie

Hyper Poster
Not about the London Resort per se but for those who are perhaps wondering why so many people are negative about the chances of London Resort?

I re-came across this pre London Resort plan for a Theme Park on almost the exact same location just over the river in Rainham Marshes.

For those with long memories you may remember this was the plan to build a Universal Studios in East London. The problem was the company wasn't set on London and were looking at Paris too and it seemed Paris had the edge.

This article from June 1990 explains some of the details
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-06-12-fi-236-story.html

The Universal Studios Paris stuff fascinates me as to what could've been. Would it have faced the same levels of public resistance and financial struggles as Disneyland, or would it have sparked an even larger theme park arms race in France/Europe and forced Disney to be more aggressive with their Paris resort? Would Parc Astérix have fallen to the wayside with two major resorts within an hour's drive from it, or would it have filled the SeaWorld/Busch Gardens slot as Paris became the Orlando of Europe? So many possibilities to consider.

Tulum

Roller Poster
Blooloop writes that the resort is now officially looking for suppliers. I cannot stop myself from thinking about this project actually becoming reality some day. On the other hand so many other projects have already failed and never opened.

Matt N

Strata Poster
I’ve had my first Summer Newsletter from them in my email inbox (I signed up for updates), and it basically said about how they’re looking for suppliers, how they’re seeking a few additional months to revise the proposals, and it also talked a bit about Base Camp.

All sounds fairly promising!

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
I’ve had my first Summer Newsletter from them in my email inbox (I signed up for updates), and it basically said about how they’re looking for suppliers, how they’re seeking a few additional months to revise the proposals, and it also talked a bit about Base Camp.

All sounds fairly promising!
Suppliers as in Intamin Giga yeah ;)