What's new

Jokes About Dead Celebrities

Is making jokes about dead celebrities right?

• Yes, it's hilarious

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As long as the jokes are funny

• Depends whether he/she deserved it

• No, never right. Ever.

• Total voters

Ben

CF Legend
And once again you've missed the point in one hell of a spectacular way.

The very nature of being a celebrity (ESPECIALLY one like MJ) is that you get talked about, in good and bad lights. This does NOT change with death. It's part of being famous. The family will thankfully grasp this since they've had more than 40 years to grow accustomed to it. Jokes get told about celebrities, dead or alive, because they're celebrities. It's part of what you go through to earn the status, and money, that comes with fame. And believe me, the amount they'll have is MORE than enough to heal any sadness they'd feel from someone random making a "untrue" snide remark about someone they were related to that the joker would probably have never even MET.

Mark

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ LOL so you think the family members and friends find it acceptable to crack jokes a month or two after it has happened? Very logical.

Putting it very plainly... This topic is about making jokes of dead celebrities. Not family members. As Ben has said, there is a vast difference and negatives, as well as positives are inevitable in the world of celebrities.

And when did I EVER say anything at all, whatsoever, about family members, anywhere in my post... I DIDN'T!

I was talking about the fact that people forget that even fans sometimes get upset by the jokes and therefore I wish people would hold off on the jokes. What I also realise (and is exactly what I was saying) is that for a great many, their way of dealing is to make humour of the situation. Therefore, the jokes and comments which were constantly made during the celebs lifetime will, of course, continue long after they are gone.
I wouldn't expect you to understand that capacity in anyway. Grieving does not just mean breaking down into tears you know!

Considering this, I do know people who make light humour in tough situations (including deaths). It is their way of coping with the feelings. Which, if that is their way of dealing, neither you, nor anybody else can deny them.

Furthermore, none of the jokes are actually taking the mickey out of death directly. They are more taking the mickey out of situations that were funny in their lifetime. How many times, upon reflection do you laugh about things in the past? We all do it, regardless of whether that person is living or not. You look back at a stupid situation where the person did something daft and laugh. There is no crime in that and it is certainly not disrespecting the fact they are dead either!

For instance, one of the MJ jokes is relevant to his plastic surgery, this is not deniable and the amount of surgery he had in his lifetime is ridiculous, therefore, telling a joke about it after his death is doing nothing but merely making humour of his bad choices back then.

Do you honestly think that at some point in time (if not already) the Jackson family won't all sit around and laugh about the dumbass things Michael did in his lifetime...? Funny enough, I believe that even in his memorial there were some laughs about some of the things he had said or done! Which therefore is the basis for a joke.

Its called making light of a terribly bad situation. Which, as I said before, you clearly do not have the capacity to understand!

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Let me put it simply -
Would you insult Michael Jackson infront of his family?

No.

Then what makes it any different doing it behind their backs?

I see what Mark is saying but I still think it shows a complete lack of respect but making light or a situation is really a family thing to do.

Mark

Strata Poster
To be fair Erol, what you are talking about happens with the living too. I know full well there are people that insult me behind my back but haven't got the balls to say it to my face.

With particular reference to Michael Jackson, people need to stop with all this "you didn't know him anyway" crap. Because strictly speaking that is not true. Many people out there had followed the guy through everything. Id go so far as to say they knew him better then they know some of their friends. IE I probably know more about MJ, then I do about your life, Erol. What I didn't have with MJ is a personal relationship.

The point is, whilst I do respect everything the guy did musically, there are things that I think are intensely funny about him, whether he is living or not.

Same for everyone, we all have our little jokes and banter and so on. Just because that may continue on past death does not then mean it is disrespectful.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So you have never told a joke about a celebrity then Erol, or laughed at a joke about one?

You've never made a joke at the expense of a person either?

Bravo - I shall recommend you're canonised :)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Not really but I have laughed when other people tell them.

I deleted the part where I said I did to add something else, and didn't paste it back.

Heres the next bit to my original post -

"Though I am guilty of laughing at it but only because I know its not to put a fork in his back, it's done because it is genuinely funny".

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
See, I think this has just tipped in favour of:

"It's wrong, unless it's funny" ;)

Mark

Strata Poster
I honestly don't think any of the jokes are to be hurtful though Erol. They are to be funny and place a funny slant on some of the things he did in life. Which goes back to what I was saying about making light of a situation.

RCF

Strata Poster
The only joke I didn't like and thought was wrong (just a tad bi funny though) is this forward message I got: Instead of burying Micheal Jackson, being 80% plastic, he's being cremated and made into LEGOS so little kids can play with HIM for a change. The only one that's just wrong.