What's new

Joining the Dark Side.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
As part of Lightwater Valley's five year plan, the park is to replace the rat ride, as after 22 years, the lease on the coaster which rides within is about to run out. Someone on this site had the absolutely genius idea of replacing it with a dark flume along a sewer concept, and with the park being about to acquire a permanent version of its (again leased) Wild River Rapids, the chance would appear to be presenting itself for for the park to create an attraction far better than the sum of it's parts.

In the UK, there is a dearth of dark rides, so my question is this...what decidedly average ride would be massively improved by a metaphorical 'bag over it's head?' - or even, which ride could do with some partial covering, again to the same extent (like a tower hiding a loop or sharp bank).

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I think the concept of water rides enclosed is certainly maneuverable & provides an atmospheric experience for guests if executed properly.

Since I visited Lightwater I pretty much relied on the idea that Ratride would be replaced by a flume { rapids would even do }. The theme and atmosphere is appropriate.

For me, I would have thrown Knightmare in a giant warehouse. Give it some theme etc and the ride experience would be a lot more enchanting.
Obviously Camelot do not have the budget or meet the requirements to be able to do such work.

HarryBoyy

Mega Poster
I think a log flume would be a brill idea. You can be travelling through the sewers in a "log" and then you will travel in the wrong direction and you pass a massive drop?? That would be great!!
Or a rapids where you go through one of those whirlpool parts which could pretend to be a toilet bowl flushing and then you are being whisked through the sewers¬!!!

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
The lease ain't running out, they're just replacing it as the system is very outdated and requires significant investment - investment which both LWV and the owner are reluctant to spend on a very old ride.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Infusion, or any SLC would make a much exhilirating experience in the dark, only if it was accompanied by flashing lights and other scenic items near the calibre of Space Mountain quality.

Funky Monk

Roller Poster
I'd say a rapids ride would be better than a log flume. I think that the spinning would create a far more out of control experience, and they don't rely on drops as much as the logs. Any spinning ride or coaster would be quite good in the dark actually.