What's new

ITV-HD on SkyHD

Ian said:
*5 month bump*

The "new" tv guide appeared this morning.

I knew it was worth favouriting this topic!

It seems that we both have Samsung boxes then, which are highly regarded - when mine was getting installed the installation engineer was creaming over the thing! :lol:

I love the new mini-tv in the TV Guide menu and how you can still watch and listen to the channel your on whilst looking for somthing else to watch! Oh, and it means goodbye to the anoying Christmas tunes they used to put on the menu's at this time of year!

^ Haha do you know some guy has created a website just about the EPG music!

Yeah I have a Samsung box too :D We have an Amstrad Sky+ box downstairs which is forever freezing and we're always having to switch off at the plug.

Necro posting?

anyhoo; I recently deiscovered the following fantastic fact;

Apparently ITV West Country broadcasts at a resolution of 704x576i with an average bitrate of 5900 kBits/s,where as all the other ITV regions are 544x576i with average bitrates in the region of 2500 -3500 kbits/s.... :shock:

--

So if you are in a non-West Country ITV region (and lets face it, who is? ;-) ) you can add that ITV region to your Sky box in the same way as you add ITV-HD and "enjoy" a MUCH better normal ITV pixture...

Frequency= 10.832 GHz
Polarization= H (horizontal)
Symbol Rate= 22.0
FEC= 5/6

...unfortunately this does not improve the quality of the actual programmes, only that you can watch the utter sh*te that ITV pump out in a somewhat better picture!

Mixed blessing then?

No you need Sky+ HD ... standard sky+ boxes don't have the equipment to decode HD transmissions.

but you could getter better ITV SD pictures (from the West Country!) if you were anal enough to care about that!

/geek

Oh yes, that is a lot clearer. Thanks, Mr Morton.

Although I did endure 30 seconds of Coronation Street so you lose a few points there.

Sky Sports HD4 will be such a waste of time as the majority of 'sports' on there aren't broadcast in HD anyway.

Anyways, good news, we'll be able to use the Sky+ features on ITV HD programmes finally! :D

david morton said:
Drag this thread up from the past (again)...

....and just one last time;

ITV1-HD went live this morning on the SKYHD EPG on channel 178.

So no more messing about needed, its all just a normal HD channel now.

BOO! :( Over the past few months, I've earned many cans of beer by preying on Luddites, "hacking" their HD Sky boxes to receive ITV HD.

All good things must come to an end.