What's new

Is there a god?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Inugami has human attributes. And it's not a God anyway.

You're blatantly a furry and don't understand anthropomorphism is more often than not attributing behavior and feelings over physical appearances?

:roll:

Also, human traits, are any traits that we generally consider to be human and most humans will be surprised to see in other species. Things like intent and compassion and other ideas about consciousness... That doesn't mean they are not there in other species. Applying traits of a dog to a God is the same thing as applying human traits.

Applying the ability to know and to love to nature, for example, is ****ing retarded... was my point.

Slash

Giga Poster
Hey if you guys believe in oblivion then that's fine, don't insult people who do believe in religion :p

Just because I believe in god doesn't mean I'm a mental case. Put it this way if oblivion is what happens, I won't lose out because I won't know about it, however if God exists, you guys will be kicking yourselves at the pearly gates :lol:

however I see why you guys don't believe in any God.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Slash said:
Put it this way if oblivion is what happens, I won't lose out because I won't know about it, however if God exists, you guys will be kicking yourselves at the pearly gates :lol:

QFT.

And yes, I do believe in God.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nah, of course not.

If there such a thing as God and he is the all-forgiving then I'd be sorted when/if go above the clouds.

And if there is no such thing then I can be glad that I didn't waste my life being brainwashed by an institution with no solid evidence except a book written by monks.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
CMonster said:
Slash said:
Put it this way if oblivion is what happens, I won't lose out because I won't know about it, however if God exists, you guys will be kicking yourselves at the pearly gates :lol:

QFT.

I think you do loose out.

It would be different if you followed the rules of Christianity (for example) by coincidence as that was how you enjoyed living. But you don't. You do it because you think you have to to to be saved.

I prefer to make sure I don't loose out on enjoying things that are absolutely 100% real, no question about it.

kimahri

CF Legend
How big is the character limit on here? I feel like Quoting the last god topic we had and that other one that had C monster talking about home schooling as they both decended into similar arguments.

Sam

Giga Poster
****ing pointless having these topics.

Those who believe in God will never convinve those who don't believe that he/she/it exists and likewise those who don't believe will never convinve those who do believe otherwise.

It will just end in pointless arguments that go nowhere.

Bow down on your knees before me! For I am He!

That sounded sort of dirty at first :p .

define "god"

Surely nature itself is god? Surely we are all our own gods in control of our own destiny? yadda yadda

If I got the choice I would like God to be a person and for him to provide me with a fantastalicious place after I die, but I actually think the best religion or person of worship is "The One" from Wiccan belief.. Which is the entire universe. I think it's more logical to believe in that, than just a person that made everything. We should just accept the Universe as it is and how it like, supports us living rather than worrying about how it was made or where we go when we die.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The other topic, which was very specifically God and not religion is here:

http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22055

It didn't turn nasty either, as was suggested; it's just that, when it comes to religion, people are overly sensitive and generally don't like to be disagreed with on a point they have no way of proving.

I should probably lock this, as there is a massive topic there already, but I suppose it has been a while. Let it go for now. I suppose it's a common topic that's bound to keep popping up occasionally.

Anyway, the answer is a very definite NO. I function using reason and logic over superstition. Simple as that.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
CMonster said:
Slash said:

QFT.

That's Pascal's Wager right there. Problem is, as there are multiple religions all over the world, and each of them tell different stories about what happens after death, the probability of Christianity being the "right" religion is ridiculously small. The chance of meeting Yahweh up there is as big as the chance of meeting Odin, Hades, Anubis or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for all that matters. Or, deducted from everything we know about nature, you'll fade into black and that's it. I'd rather enjoy the life I know I've got right here and now, than wasting time each day praying, not eating shellfish, wake up at stupid o'clock on Sundays, etc. Makes the disappointment a lot smaller too, if your consciousness somehow follows you after your death and you find out you were wrong all along. No expectations, no disappointment.

And as a side note, all of you who actually followed the God thread a while back may have noticed a slight inconistency in my replies. Back then, I didn't quite know what to believe, but since then, I've found out.

It didn't look pretty for religion. I've read the common arguments, thought about my point of view for quite some time, and concluded that to me, any god is a logical impossibility. Look at the "for" and "against" arguments, and see who can back it up, be it with logic, statistics or experiments.

So in short, a thundering NO from me.

Snoo

The Legend
It would seem as if most people who believe in a Christian God are simply scared into it because they fear this 'All knowing and loving God'.. who will spite you to hell and eternal damnation if you don't do things the way he says it.

Here in the real world, we call that person an asshole.

RCF

Strata Poster
I personally believe in God yes. My beliefs (myself only) believe a correspondence in God and science such as The Big Bang. Just to make sure I'm merely here to submit to the topic, and am not looking for trouble or an argument.

EDIT: We get it Mr Clam, you're leaving.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
No, of course not.

I have no need to believe in God. I can't be bothered to just repeat all the other people's arguments all over again, but they're right.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sam said:
Those who believe in God will never convinve those who don't believe that he/she/it exists and likewise those who don't believe will never convinve those who do believe otherwise.

Pokemaniac said:
And as a side note, all of you who actually followed the God thread a while back may have noticed a slight inconistency in my replies. Back then, I didn't quite know what to believe, but since then, I've found out.

It didn't look pretty for religion. I've read the common arguments, thought about my point of view for quite some time, and concluded that to me, any god is a logical impossibility. Look at the "for" and "against" arguments, and see who can back it up, be it with logic, statistics or experiments.

So in short, a thundering NO from me.

We have a winner (or loser if you're up chatting to St Peter trying to explain why you should be allowed in ;) ).

Likewise, my "faith" was taken from "questioning" to agnostic to atheist due to many discussions such as this with people from many religions as well as atheists.

While spiritually I may be worse off, I feel much happier now than I ever did as a believer. There is much less resentment, guilt and hate in my life since losing faith. So I may end up in hell, but it's made me a hell of a happier, nicer person :)

That's a "I don't believe in God" by the way :)

Slash

Giga Poster
I think it also comes down to how you believe. I don't bring my religious views out of my home. It stays there, it doesn't affect my day to day life, I pray now and then and it's not because
I fear of death more that I believe something immensly powerful meant this to happen.

I also try to make sure my life is lead in the way I feel is right. No book or religion changes that. I just believe in him/her/it and never deny his/hers/it's existence.