What's new

Is Rihanna a good role model for children?

Is Rihanna a good role model for children?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Who is she?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wow. Everyone just seems to think I'm out against Rihanna and I'm some sort of anti-sexual Nazi...it's just a topic of discussion guys, geeze :p :lol:

^^
It's not a very good one Ciall, try harder :p

Also, is it worth mentioning that Jessie J was on Blue Peter a few weeks ago, so I'm not entirely sure the CBBC scale is a flawless way of determing these things :p

Oh, and good effort Benin - though I think even the majority of Americans have let that one go three ****ing decades on :p

I honestly don't see why there is a need to censor kids from stuff. Really do not. I never was and I think all these issues other people seem to have I just... don't. Either I'm amazing, or the problem is that parents are being too concious of what their kids are or are not exposed to.

I think in furie's household, it's likley less that the kids are prevented and more that the parents don't so the kids don't. That's different, but I think you're right in that it might be inhibiting playground skills because it's beneficial to be "in" at least on some level to at least understand the conversations others are having and potentially be involved.

I don't subscribe to the whole role model bollocks. It doesn't (shouldn't?) exist and it's a weak excuse for people who find themselves or those close to them negatively influenced by the world they live in, and then need to clutch at straws to explain themselves. And people who think singers are bad influences are the kind of idiots who take The Sun seriously. Let her sing what she wants to sing. I don't especially like her but you can't knock her for making her millions.

Honestly, I don't see her as a role model. Who is? I don't give a damn what she sings about and I don't give a **** what she does, so it doesn't bother me a bit.

So to the ones who happen to look up to her as a role model... Do what you do.

And that gets today's award for 'things I REALLY wasn't expecting to read...'

Haha, I actually love English and though Shakespeare was never my favourite part of it, I did love Hamlet. I even made a topic probably a year ago asking people what their favourite Shakespeare play was :p .

[/offtopic]

This topic is amazing.

I grew up in the 90s with 'explicit' pop groups. Therefore I don't care.
Is this something that came up in debate class or something for you?

I was thinking on this topic while listening to Meatloaf the other day and decided if Rihanna isn't a god role model than Meatloaf isn't either because if you listen to his lyrics:

All revved up and nowhere to go has mentions of "first blood" and For crying out loud has "And can't you see my faded Levis bursting apart" as a line.

^Yeah, but, Meat Loaf is a rock artist... Rock has always been evil.

And THOSE are the two most suggestive Meat Loaf lines you can come up with...?

Nothing about "So open up your eyes I got a big surprise, It'll feel all right, Well I wanna make your motor run", "You got to do what you can, And let Mother Nature do the rest" or "I don't have to know your name and I won't tell you what to do, But a girl she doesn't live by only rock 'n roll and brew"...

Like, all his songs are about sex or hitting things. He's also awesome. Not really a role model in the way Rihanna "is"... Not that I think she actually is...

Whoah whoah, hold on, I grew up listening to Prince and Nine Inch Nails...and I'd just like to highlight that both have very explicit lyrics and many people look up to Prince or Trent Reznor as role models...or at least used to anyway. I'd consider Rihanna quite tame compared to NIN, especially since their song 'Closer', just as an example, has the chorus of "I wanna
5censored.gif
you like an animal, I wanna feel you from the inside..." etc etc, and bear in mind this WAS released as a single, with a controversial video to boot. And don't even get me started on 'Happiness In Slavery' - that makes Rihanna's 'S&M' seem innocent!

And although it doesn't do well for the stereotypes, Rock/Metal songs do mainly revolve around adult content. I'd say Cannibal Corpse's "F***ed With A Knife" is a prime example...the lyrics in that are, well...have a guess :T And who could forget the blatant orgasm noise halfway through Led Zep's 'Whole Lotta Love'?! XD

Perhaps it's a case of desensitisation, but I honestly don't care about explicit lyrics/content, it's the norm for me. Some people are too fragile and touchy about explicit topics!

For the record, I have no idea if I was on topic. I don't care, I wanted to share that. I guess I should finish with "No, I don't think Rihanna is a bad role model for little girls. Grow a pair >:[".

Enigma Shadow said:
And although it doesn't do well for the stereotypes, Rock/Metal songs do mainly revolve around adult content.

Maybe the narrow range of rock you listen to, I can think of literally thousands of artists who don't, prominent artists as well...

^ He isn't narrow minded, some of the bands he's listened to you probably wouldn't have heard of, they're really obscure.

*hipster pose*

[youtube]CexxFgb1iMA[/youtube]

Well that failed.

[youtube]v=CexxFgb1iMA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CexxFgb1iMA[/youtube]

Ben said:
And THOSE are the two most suggestive Meat Loaf lines you can come up with...?

Nothing about "So open up your eyes I got a big surprise, It'll feel all right, Well I wanna make your motor run", "You got to do what you can, And let Mother Nature do the rest" or "I don't have to know your name and I won't tell you what to do, But a girl she doesn't live by only rock 'n roll and brew

Those were the only ones I could think of at the time.