What's new

Is putting maynonnaise on chips posh?

Is putting maynonnaise on chips posher than red sauce??

• Yes, adding mayo is a sign of poshness.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Continuing with the trend of condiment based polls, started by SFNE003, here's another.

Are people who put mayonnaise on their chips (US: fries, FRANCE: French fries) posher than those who use red sauce?

Tomato ketchup is the standard when it comes to chips. It's a tradition that been going on for decades but in recent years, as more people become more "middle class" I've notcied an increase on mayonnaise chip-dippers.

Even though chips with mayonnaise is tasty dish, I've always thought that there's a slight element of poshness attached to it. It's slightly exotic and looks different than

Do you agree?

This is not a debate on which is better to have to have with chips or which you prefer, but if mayonnaise is a posher substitue than common red sauce.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Go to Belgium, specifically Spa-Francorchamps, have some Frits and Mayo and then tell me that chips with mayo isn't the standard.

Also, ketchup is vile.

I don't think it's posh, just intelligent.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I was first introduced to the concept of Mayo with chips by scousers in 1990.

Anything scousers introduce to me cannot be considered posh.

Though they did think both Mayo AND Ketchup was the height of sophistication with your chips (probably "on a chip butty lik[static]e")

No haha, I don't see why it would be considered fancy, it's just an alternative to ketchup.

Though, blegh. Vinegar is the way to go.

Rush

Giga Poster
No, not all.

I'm not a huge fan of sauces anyway. (Ketchup and mayo are putrid.) I sometimes eat chips with brown sauce but it's usually the traditional salt 'n' vinegar loaded on for me, which doesn't taste nice with sauce.

thx

Mega Poster
Martyn said:
Go to Belgium...
Yeah, there they always give it to you with mayonnaise, although their fries, or frits, are thicker, double fried, so quite different from British 'chips' or 'regular' friench fries for that matter.

Oh and most likely they invented the 'french fries' in Belgium. According to one story during some war-time (some american troops were in Western Europe, he wasn't sure where, apparently it was Belgium and heard someone speak french and saw hime fry the fries, then called them french fries). I know most of you know this, but I'll still add that about half of the Belgians or 'walloons (sp?)' speek french, the other half flemish, which is really close to dutch.
On topic then, in Sweden or Finland, I don't think I've ever seen fries with mayonnaise, in Mc'Donald's I guess you can order it as a dip, but basically it's pretty non-existant in the food culture. I would imagine it being posher in Britain to use mayonnaise, as it's still a newer phenomenon?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ By the sounds of it, chips and mayo is something that has just reached the sunny shores of the south of England!

That's probably why I think it's posh - it's out of the box. It's extreme!

Steven

Giga Poster
No I have mayo on chips I am in no way posh. Therefore it is no posher than ketchup being a side.

Jools

Giga Poster
Wow, I've never thought of it as posh, nor have I been under the impression anyone else did, confusion set in when Is aw this topic XD.

A

Anonymous

Posh?

What in the name of all that is good in this world is poshness

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It might just be my impression of it, but I always thought it was more common. I've never really tried it properly, and I can't say I want to, but it is certainly no posher than ketchup in my books.

Never even heard of it being considered posh before.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I LOVE mayo and chips <3 Wouldn't say it's posh, just a bit European I guess, just as chips with gravy is northern ;]

By the way, heads up for those going on the Euro Live who enjoy this delicacy, Toverland do the BEST chipsavecmayo I've ever experience in my life, to the extent where I dream of it XD I can't wait to go back and eat some again <3