What's new

Is it legal to pick up scrap/abandoned rollercoaster parts?

ACID REFLUX

Roller Poster
Specifically in the united states ((this is a 'out of curiosity' question again-- I'm probably not gonna be out actively searching for scrap rollercoaster parts at my age lul.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I mean, if its found at a dump or something? As long as you weren't trespassing, I don't see what the problem would be. I've got a bolt from AstroWorld's Serial Thriller, when it was sitting in Great Escapes parking lot for a few years, the whole ride was just sitting in the parking lot, not even fenced off or anything and the track and parts were just.... there. Found a bolt just sitting in the dirt and kept it 🤷 (and they probably replaced alllllllll those bolts when the ride moved to LaRonde annyyyyways)

ACID REFLUX

Roller Poster
I mean, if its found at a dump or something? As long as you weren't trespassing, I don't see what the problem would be. I've got a bolt from AstroWorld's Serial Thriller, when it was sitting in Great Escapes parking lot for a few years, the whole ride was just sitting in the parking lot, not even fenced off or anything and the track and parts were just.... there. Found a bolt just sitting in the dirt and kept it 🤷 (and they probably replaced alllllllll those bolts when the ride moved to LaRonde annyyyyways)
ooooohhh yeah I thought it'd be something like that, thanks 4 the response : ]]

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I picked up a side friction wheel from the old Buffalo coaster at American Adventure after it'd closed down. We explored the abandoned site a few times and I just found it one day. I still have it now, makes a great pencil pot / desk tidy.

I live a few minutes walk from the former park, there was also an old rapids boat left on site for years and years, the local kids used to play with it in the lake all the time. I think it was lost to the lake eventually.