Gazza

Giga Poster
IMO think of it this way (Thanks Furie)

Say you count
-Coaster Creds
-Dark Ride Creds
-Water Ride Creds
-Flat Ride Creds

You're only allowed to count each one once, so which is it gonna be?

rob666

Hyper Poster
The Blackpool Ghost Train is discussed in this very topic back on page 2!
Chain lift, gravity drop, its a woodie!
Possibly.

TilenB

Strata Poster
IMO think of it this way (Thanks Furie)

Say you count
-Coaster Creds
-Dark Ride Creds
-Water Ride Creds
-Flat Ride Creds

You're only allowed to count each one once, so which is it gonna be?
So how would you count something like Vliegende Hollander with this logic?

Gazza

Giga Poster
Most of the track is coaster so i'd put it in my coaster cred column.

But Dudleys or Splash mountain go in my water ride cred column.

UP87

Mega Poster
I'd find the Mack water coasters more difficult to put into this as they leave the track when in water. De Vliegende Hollander stays connected to its coaster track even while it's in the water.

gengarhaunts87

Roller Poster
yea after i rewatched the video of the front row seat ride i see even if you start on the white side you eventually ride the yellow track after the mcb. View attachment 7542 " damn your eyes.. too late "
in my defense of asking if westcoast racers / twisted colossus were 2 credits i actually did not know what a mobius coaster is * cue your such a newb comments * kind of a late response but yea.

gengarhaunts87

Roller Poster
okay this has been on my mind for quite some time now. all the free spin coasters at six flags parks. do you consider them 1 credit each, or 1 credit for the 1st, and the rest are just to say you rode it. another question is the superman flying coasters. do you count the 3 different ones as 1 or seperate. lastly another superman related question. ride of steel vs superman: ride of steel. consider 1 or seperate ? just want to get my future credits in order so when i visit i can best prioritize my must ride rides and ones i can skip for that day.

Peet

Giga Poster
okay this has been on my mind for quite some time now. all the free spin coasters at six flags parks. do you consider them 1 credit each, or 1 credit for the 1st, and the rest are just to say you rode it. another question is the superman flying coasters. do you count the 3 different ones as 1 or seperate. lastly another superman related question. ride of steel vs superman: ride of steel. consider 1 or seperate ? just want to get my future credits in order so when i visit i can best prioritize my must ride rides and ones i can skip for that day.
This was discussed ad nauseam earlier on in this thread - I do not recommend going back and reading it all!

To summarise, the majority of people who count creds (including me) count clones as individual creds, so you get 1 credit for each one. This is a pretty obvious choice for me as they are physically different roller coasters, and your cred count is the number of different roller coasters you have ridden.

If somebody had ridden only (let's say) Crystal Wing at HV Beijing and Superman at SFGA, and you ask that person how many roller coasters they have been on, what will they say? Two, obviously!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Does anyone else here NOT count creds? Just seems a bit redundant. "A cred's a cred" is like "any hole's a goal". 50 wacky worms doesn't make your opinion any more.... credible (hurrrr). I just don't get it.

Probably better to just count the parks you've visited. No? Even then... am I really going to count Tivoli World in Malaga?

Peet

Giga Poster
Does anyone else here NOT count creds? Just seems a bit redundant. "A cred's a cred" is like "any hole's a goal". 50 wacky worms doesn't make your opinion any more.... credible (hurrrr). I just don't get it.

Probably better to just count the parks you've visited. No? Even then... am I really going to count Tivoli World in Malaga?
I'm sure you won't be alone in not counting creds, there is nothing wrong with that of course but please know that not everyone who does count them is a cred whore. Equally, there is nothing wrong with being a cred whore!

Importantly, not everyone who counts creds believes that their opinion is worth more than people with lower counts, as you seem to imply.

Each to their own!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I'm sure you won't be alone in not counting creds, there is nothing wrong with that of course but please know that not everyone who does count them is a cred whore. Equally, there is nothing wrong with being a cred whore!

Importantly, not everyone who counts creds believes that their opinion is worth more than people with lower counts, as you seem to imply.

Each to their own!
I was intending to infer that the exercise was redundant rather than infer any feeling of superiority but I can see how you thought that.

With that said, there is clearly some sort of 'badge wearing' that comes with cred collecting but I'll take that as mostly healthy competition between excited enthusiasts (with a fun, token pinch of willy-waving - after all, there's nothing wrong with a casual bit bit of windmilling amongst chums).

rob666

Hyper Poster
In 50 years of regular coaster riding, I have never counted a cred, or a park, in my life.
Good luck to those that do, but I just couldn't be arsed.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I never used to count coasters until I get more actively involved with the online community. I always thought it was dumb but eventually I was curious to find out how many I had actually ridden and at that point it was already over 100 coasters. I had been browsing coasters online since 97/98 but didn't start engaging until 00/01...and didn't start counting until 03 (with this bad boy being the first coaster I ever actively...counted - https://rcdb.com/1519.htm )

At some point, I did think it was silly to drive an hour out of my way...just to go on some tiny kiddie coaster. But at the same time it has brought me to places I would never have gone elsewise and I've always tried to do other things in the area whether it be famous landmarks / local landmarks or even just a zoo / mini golf / city park to explore for a bit. (It also greatly expanded another useless and mildly obsessive hobby, County Counting.......)

I also always thought the whole sign holding thing was somewhat ...silly... so the three times I've done it was somewhat sarcastically.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Third time round in this very topic, but at last Matt, our suggestion has been accepted, and the Blackpool Ghost Train has been agreed as a coaster.
Like I've been saying for the last forty years.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
To those who count both powered coasters and shuttles like Intamin Reverse Freefalls:

Why would you not count a Zamperla Disk'o?

Or more generally can anyone explain why a powered coaster could be a cred?

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
To those who count both powered coasters and shuttles like Intamin Reverse Freefalls:

Why would you not count a Zamperla Disk'o?
They don't coast though do they? And yes ofc Powered coasters dont but use logic for that as for Intamin RF they coast so whats the issue

Benenen

Hyper Poster
They don't coast though do they? And yes ofc Powered coasters dont but use logic for that as for Intamin RF they coast so whats the issue
I think I worded this poorly. It's a certainty that an Intamin RF is a cred, no one on this site would deny that. But counting powered coasters is more 50/50 with many including me on the definitely not side. I think we would all collectively agree that Disk'os are not a cred but I would argue that an Intamin RF is to a normal cred what a Disk'o is to a normal powered coaster. Therefore why would a powered count as a cred?

Dunno if that's any clearer but thought it might be an interesting discussion point. Counting creds is such a subjective and personal thing so it's interesting to see how others define what a cred is.