Votes: 36 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Undecided/Haven’t ridden yet

Votes: 23 34.8%

• Total voters

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
That also has Icon sat in third, forgive me for not taking it entirely seriously!!
Pffft, you rate Blue Fire... 🙈 😂

That's my ranking too btw... Not exactly a lot to choose from here in the UK is there? What would you put above it? Stealth maybe, I guess, but as much as I like Stealth, Icon is way more fun.

In fact, I'd pretty much agree with that entire top 9...

Matt N

CF Legend
That Captain Coaster list is interesting. Personally, my current UK top 10 is as follows:
  1. Wicker Man (#8/113, 10/10)
  2. Icon (#10/113, 10/10)
  3. Stealth (#11/113, 9/10)
  4. Oblivion (#12/113, 9/10)
  5. Nemesis Inferno (#14/113, 9/10)
  6. Nemesis Reborn (#15/113, 9/10)
  7. The Swarm (#20/113, 8/10)
  8. Megafobia (#23/113, 8/10)
  9. Rita (#25/113, 8/10)
  10. Sik (#27/113, 8/10)
On the topic of the thread, I would not be at all surprised if Hyperia tops the list for me when I eventually get to ride it.

I’ve done 6 coasters that are 200ft or taller, and seeing as 4 of them are in my top 10 and the 5th highest ranked, Stealth, only narrowly misses the cut at #11, I think it’s safe to say that coasters over 200ft are generally a winner for me. And with some of the sublime-looking elements that it has, I see no reason why Hyperia would be any different!

It’s just over a month until I’m going back to Thorpe to hopefully ride it after being spited on 10th June (me and my parents have pencilled in 18th August), and after all of these brilliant reviews, I’ve got high hopes for Hyperia… it’s definitely one of my most anticipated coasters of 2024, anyhow!

owenstreet7

Roller Poster
Now I've ridden it, it is unlike anything I've ridden here in terms of airtime and I'd say it is my UK favourite and overall 3rd.

The airtime is unbelievable and it made me come off with a rush. Taron and Voltron are my 1st and 2nd respectively which both are complete packages and have fantastic airtime.

UK 2nd and 3rd are Icon and Nemesis.

Matt N

CF Legend
Nemesis probably has the biggest nostalgic following among UK enthusiasts, deservedly so as it's still a great ride. It doesn't surprise me Hyperia doesn't top it for some people. Does anyone have any really weird takes though? Is there anyone who thinks the Big One or Sik or the Runaway Mine Train is better than Hyperia?
The most uncommon take I’ve seen was one list where the person only ranked Hyperia as their 12th favourite operating UK coaster and 15th favourite including defunct coasters. Things like Spinball Whizzer, Spinning Racer and Rita were placed ahead, and the ride was only placed as their 4th favourite coaster in Thorpe Park.

They said that the airtime was too weak for their liking, the trim was horrid and the ride was far too short.

I’ve heard a couple of people describe the airtime on Hyperia as too weak, actually… apparently Hyperia’s airtime is more floater rather than ejector, which doesn’t seem to appeal to some people.

Disco Lumberjack

Roller Poster
The most uncommon take I’ve seen was one list where the person only ranked Hyperia as their 12th favourite operating UK coaster and 15th favourite including defunct coasters. Things like Spinball Whizzer, Spinning Racer and Rita were placed ahead, and the ride was only placed as their 4th favourite coaster in Thorpe Park.

They said that the airtime was too weak for their liking, the trim was horrid and the ride was far too short.

I’ve heard a couple of people describe the airtime on Hyperia as too weak, actually… apparently Hyperia’s airtime is more floater rather than ejector, which doesn’t seem to appeal to some people.
Like a lot of Mack thrill coasters it warms up a lot, I could imagine someone who has ridden a lot more coasters than me having this opinion if they rode it at the start of the day.

I wonder what the impact of park visit habits is on this sort of thing, I pretty much never ride Wicker Man at the start of the day when I visit Towers because there's almost always a mid-afternoon dip in the queue length so I ride it then. I think this is a big part of why I seem to have a higher opinion of Wicker Man than many others.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

It's definitely floaty early on... But there's also the strongest ejector in the UK in the back as it's warmed up. It's a good mix to be honest, there'll be a time of day and way to ride this for every fan of airtime, regardless of their preferences.

Personally I go for both, a morning ride for that floater, and a final ride, towards the back if I can swing it, for that insane ejector.

I do think that whoever's ranking that is, was either trolling / being sarcastic or trying way too hard to be edgy and different though, Spinning Racer? 😂 😂 😂

Matt N

CF Legend
I do think that whoever's ranking that is, was either trolling / being sarcastic or trying way too hard to be edgy and different though, Spinning Racer? 😂 😂 😂
I assure you they aren’t; here’s the list in question, for context: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/is-hyperia-your-top-uk-coaster.7227/page-2#post-473652

It’s worth noting that for whatever reason, TowersStreet seems a bit more subdued on Hyperia in general compared to this site and others. I did the same poll on there, and as of right now, marginally more people voted “No” than “Yes”, whereas on here, “Yes” is emphatically winning. The thread I linked makes for interesting reading, if you want to hear some more different perspectives on Hyperia.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It’s worth noting that for whatever reason, TowersStreet seems a bit more subdued on Hyperia in general compared to this site and others. I did the same poll on there, and as of right now, marginally more people voted “No” than “Yes”, whereas on here, “Yes” is emphatically winning. The thread I linked makes for interesting reading, if you want to hear some more different perspectives on Hyperia.
The cynic in me just thinks that's cos it's a Towers enthusiast site - they'll be fiercely loyal to Nemesis, regardless.*

*I'm well aware that TT has changed a lot over the years and is actually a pretty sensible-minded enthusiast group. This is mostly a joke. ;)

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
The cynic in me just thinks that's cos it's a Towers enthusiast site - they'll be fiercely loyal to Nemesis, regardless.*

*I'm well aware that TT has changed a lot over the years and is actually a pretty sensible-minded enthusiast group. This is mostly a joke. ;)
No I think you're bang on and I'm a regular poster on there. Understandable though really, Alton Towers is a special place to many and Nemesis is a world class B&M.

I've got 9 rides on Hyperia now and whilst I wouldn't class it as 'elite', it's by far the best in the UK. It's never quite blown me away like the RMC's and Intamin LSM's, but it is an incredible coaster. One of the best first drops in the world, a grey out moment and a good mix of unique airtime moments 🤌

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

It's on TS not TT... Wish TT forums were still around and active, I miss them. :/

No need to be diplomatic, it's a simple fact, an Alton Towers focused community is probably not the best place to ask if Nemesis has been dethroned.

I assure you they aren’t; here’s the list in question, for context: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/is-hyperia-your-top-uk-coaster.7227/page-2#post-473652
That list is hilarious.... Each to their own though hey? :)

Matt N

CF Legend
I think that's a troll - I mean... it just has to be. I agree with "each to their own" and all, but there is a limit. :D
He’s not a troll; he’s been a respected member of TS for over 10 years.

These things are just a matter of opinion, after all, and everyone will have unpopular opinions. It’s fair to say that I’ve had my fair share of spicy takes over the years!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
He’s not a troll; he’s been a respected member of TS for over 10 years.
Oh course, cos those of us who've been around a while never make a provocative post. ;)

The Spinball placement is abysmal. :D

Nitefly

Giga Poster
Rita above Hyperia… really?

If this person is putting Hyperia in around 60 of 375, and if the usual UK cohort including (Rita and Spinball Whizzer) are placed whizzer higher than that, then they must be counting some desperately **** creds to get up to 375.

Dar

Hyper Poster
I think that's a troll - I mean... it just has to be. I agree with "each to their own" and all, but there is a limit. :D
More of a contrarian than a troll, in my experience!

I liked hyperia, but also hated the area and aesthetic 😃 They seem to have got stuck in the mindset of "look how big it is and don't look at anything else".

The overall area is a disgrace, let's not beat around the bush. Your eye is drawn to the overbank and first drop, but most of the view is taken up by mud or weeds. If they really had to scrap the plaza, would it have killed them to put some planting in? A hint of landscaping? I'd even settle for AstroTurf like BPBBPB! They could have tried for some Greek foliage and garden design to liven it up and tie it all together.

So no, it's not my UK number 1, but then again I'm not even sure what my number 1 is now nemesis is less good. Everything in this country is a solid #2 coaster, nothing really stands out as a #1.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
More of a contrarian than a troll, in my experience!

I liked hyperia, but also hated the area and aesthetic 😃 They seem to have got stuck in the mindset of "look how big it is and don't look at anything else".

The overall area is a disgrace, let's not beat around the bush. Your eye is drawn to the overbank and first drop, but most of the view is taken up by mud or weeds. If they really had to scrap the plaza, would it have killed them to put some planting in? A hint of landscaping? I'd even settle for AstroTurf like BPBBPB! They could have tried for some Greek foliage and garden design to liven it up and tie it all together.

So no, it's not my UK number 1, but then again I'm not even sure what my number 1 is now nemesis is less good. Everything in this country is a solid #2 coaster, nothing really stands out as a #1.
I’m going to sound like such a contrarian now! 😂

But am I the only person here that genuinely, hand on heart, really likes the new area, and the general aesthetic?

I mean sure, the landscaping isn’t finished, but not many coasters open with finished landscaping these days. Hopefully rumours of it being finished in the off season hold true.

I also don’t get why (and this isn’t in reference to you Dar, something I saw from somebody else the other day) people even bother to mention the lack of theming throughout the layout… What other Hypers have theming throughout the layout? I can’t remember riding any at all (though my memory is a sieve, so it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m forgetting one or two.) Who was seriously expecting theming throughout the layout? And can I have some of what they’ve taken, please?

IMO what they’ve finished looks great. Finish the landscaping, improve the station a little, let the completed landscaping mature and we’re done.

The only problem with that is that, by the time all of the landscaping is completed and matured, they’ll have let the general upkeep of the ride and area slip, so everything else will look rusty, faded and horrible! If history is anything to go by. 🫣😂

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I think the new area looks fine. It's nothing spectacular, but I certainly don't dislike it.

I'm itching to get back to Thorpe to find out if I was caught up in opening day hype. Admittedly, of my two rides that day, the one in the evening was distinctly better than the one in the afternoon. Might pop in on my way back from Towers in a couple of weeks to give it another go.

Matt N

CF Legend
Even though I haven’t ridden the ride yet (I unfortunately went during the extended closure period…), I did get to see the completed Fearless Valley area when I went to Thorpe last month.

I think the “front of house” plaza area looks fine. It’s nothing breathtaking, but I think it looks nice, it looks stylish, and it does the job. It’s landscaped fairly nicely, the gold looks quite nice, and overall, I don’t dislike it. Parts of it could be better, don’t get me wrong, but I overall didn’t dislike it at all based on the impression I had.

I’ll reserve full judgement of the station and ride area until I’ve ridden, but from what I’ve seen of both; I actually really quite like the station for what it is, and I think it looks to work quite well, but I think the ride area’s appearance leaves much to be desired at present. More specifically, that splashdown effect looks like a complete damp squib; it seems hard to view properly, and the pond that it’s in looks poor with all the weeds growing in it. The underside of the ride currently appears a bit muddy and unfinished from POVs, but I imagine this will get better as the ride beds in more and it’s something you’re unlikely to notice too much when you’re whizzing around on the ride.

Reactions: Dar

Ollie

CF Legend
The fact the area isn't themed doesn't really bother me and I think Hyperia SHOULD be all "look at me". The way it's designed is like a giant art piece. The track profile from the side looks amazing. The stylized area does the job and once all the foliage starts growing and adds a bit more greenery to the are I think it's going to settle into that area of the park quite nicely.