What's new

IOA | Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure | Intamin LSM Launch (Dragon Challenge replacement)

Ethan

Strata Poster
I’ve heard a tuner that the ride could be themed after fantastic beasts. Not sure how true this is.
Isn't Hagrid's Hut pretty much confirmed on this coaster though? I didn't think that was in Fantastic Beasts. Also... Wouldn't they market it as a Fantastic Beasts attraction? Seems like a pretty big marketing opportunity.
Also, that window is gothic, obviously. I thought Fantastic Beasts was set in 1920s New York? Doesn't seem too fitting.

I imagine any Fantastic Beasts attractions will be in the fourth gate opening in the future.

davidm

Strata Poster
Yeah I'd have thought thematically they need to tie it into the Hogworts/Hogsmeade area of the stories rather than anything else - given how much effort was put into tying in the train and the Kings Cross area in the other park, which all just "works" in the overall theme, can't see them (or Rowling letting them) breaking that theme.

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
Yeah I can't see it being themed to the FB franchise, especially with the leading rumors suggesting it's themed to Hagrid. However, I think we'll get a more detailed announcement around the time Fantastic Beasts 2 opens for the sake of synergy.

balrog

Mega Poster
Also, that window is gothic, obviously. I thought Fantastic Beasts was set in 1920s New York? Doesn't seem too fitting.
It seems that you are not really familiar with New York. Gothic revival was a huge thing there in the turn of the twentieth century. Many buildings from that era are neo gothic or gothic inspired, and if you want to create an early XXth century new york feel, gothic is the way to go.

Tulum

Mega Poster
Do you think there will be roads and paths through the area or some shops and restaurant or do you think the area will only be used for the coaster?

balrog

Mega Poster
There is nothing in the films that resembles this new building that I can recall, so I would guess it is just a generic Hogwarts-esque building made for the ride.
Good, A piece of historical NYC right beside Hogwart and Hogsmead might not be the best for immersion. Exept if apparating is part of the ride I guess.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Do you think there will be roads and paths through the area or some shops and restaurant or do you think the area will only be used for the coaster?
That would be ****ing fantastic if they had pathways throughout some portions with a pub or something too. I'm not super Harry Potter, but if they fouled do that, they should.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ethan

Strata Poster
It seems that you are not really familiar with New York. Gothic revival was a huge thing there in the turn of the twentieth century. Many buildings from that era are neo gothic or gothic inspired, and if you want to create an early XXth century new york feel, gothic is the way to go.

Well, I studied an architecture based design course for three years and got a first class degree from it, so... you know. Obviously I have no clue about architecture. I'm aware of architectural styles in New York, and my point still stands. Gothic hardly screams "omg I'm in the Big Apple". Unless this coaster is flying through giant references to churches and cathedrals of the east coast at numerous points, this coaster ain't Fantastic Beast themed.

balrog

Mega Poster
Well, I studied an architecture based design course for three years and got a first class degree from it, so... you know. Obviously I have no clue about architecture. I'm aware of architectural styles in New York, and my point still stands. Gothic hardly screams "omg I'm in the Big Apple". Unless this coaster is flying through giant references to churches and cathedrals of the east coast at numerous points, this coaster ain't Fantastic Beast themed.
Please, I never said you had no clue about architecture. But you still wrote something a bit misinformed, whatever are your qualifications. You probably know that many neo gothic buildings in NY predate the bulk of art deco buildings and later styles. Manhattan in the 20s was known for its gothic feel with world famous buildings like the Woolworth and the general aesthetic of the tall, thin towers of the time echoing the spires of European churches. That has been talked about a lot recently as the booming super slim condo towers of today's NY are sometime said to revive the aesthetics of the Manhattan of the early twentieth century.
I agree that gothic doesn't scream NY for most people, especially Europeans for which the styke is local. But FB is a period piece, taking place at a time where gothic architecture had a larger influence in NY. I short, a gothic building does fit, pretty well actually.
I still think you are right though, that this is not FB themed.
I hope you will excuse me for the
"It seems that you are not really familiar with New York". That sentance was uselessly agressive, and I regret writing it.

Last edited:

Peet

Giga Poster
We are about as far off-topic here as Hogwarts is from New York...

I think we can all agree that a NY themed area next to Hogsmeade and Hagrid's Hut would look ridiculous.

Back on topic, I looked on Google to find out how the Great Hall window looks and here it is:harry-potter-great-hall-halloween.jpg

And here's the construction pic:
IMG_20180908_203614.jpg

Looks to me like we have a Great Hall window on our hands.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Given the attention to detail and Rowlings involvement I can't see them replicating the Great Hall when it already exists within the area. The window style is definitely based on Hogwarts. Story wise it'll probably be something like an outbuilding in the castle grounds/near it - especially if the rumour of a forbidden forest theme for this coaster is true.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Looks to me like we have a Great Hall window on our hands.
It's literally completely different? Look more closely. Different tracery, less columns etc. If it were the great hall (which makes zero sense at all), they would recreate it exactly as seen in the films.

I know nobody cares that much, as stated above, but there's no point going forward thinking something that's wrong.

gabe

Roller Poster
It's just a completely custom building inspired by Hogwarts as far as I know, and if I'm remembering correctly, the ride is based on Sorcerer's Stone.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Isn't Hagrid's Hut pretty much confirmed on this coaster though? I didn't think that was in Fantastic Beasts. Also... Wouldn't they market it as a Fantastic Beasts attraction? Seems like a pretty big marketing opportunity.

I imagine any Fantastic Beasts attractions will be in the fourth gate opening in the future.

Only the first film is set in New York from the looks of things. So I wouldn't throw out a fantastic beasts ride. I think there are 5/7 films planned? so it will stay relevent for a while.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Only the first film is set in New York from the looks of things. So I wouldn't throw out a fantastic beasts ride. I think there are 5/7 films planned? so it will stay relevent for a while.
I'm not throwing it out completely, but I just don't see this coaster being FB themed. I just don't see it happening in the location that this coaster is, it wouldn't sit right to me.
It's just a completely custom building inspired by Hogwarts as far as I know, and if I'm remembering correctly, the ride is based on Sorcerer's Stone.
I'm going for this at the moment. I know the rumours that Alicia Stella picked up on could be false, but everything does point towards it being themed to the first (and partly second) films. I'd imagine it has a lot to do with the forbidden forest.

Rob 92

Roller Poster
This coaster is only themed to Fantastic Beasts if they have decided to totally change the theme of the ride well after construction had started. In other words, it's not themed to Fantastic Beasts!