What's new

IOA | Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure | Intamin LSM Launch (Dragon Challenge replacement)

peep

CF Legend
Wasn't there a rumour that JK Rowling was not really keen on them and wanted to see them go anyway?

I've seen this rumour a few times too, apparently Universal managed to convince her to keep them due to budget reasons. If it is true then this was always going to happen at some point.

I really hope Universal develop the plot of land in a smart way because the footprint of Dragon Challenge is HUGE. I wouldn't actually be surprised to see them use it for not just one addition, but maybe a couple of additions (2019 and something else in the long run).

Same, I'd be shocked if we only see one attraction take over this area. Excited to see what they do as their Potter areas are incredible.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I'd imagine they'd leave a bit of space to develop a fantastic beasts style attraction a bit further into the future. Certainly interested to see how this develops as it could potentially tred on the toes of Forbidden Journey and Gringotts, a mooch around the forbidden forest on a broomstick or in Ron's Ford Anglia would be pretty cool.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Nah, would be like separating twins. One coaster will go on to be really successful and the other will become down and out, but they'll meet again in the future in a bizarre twist of fate and end up killing each other. Besides, I've looked at Google maps and checked the tree height, Lightwater Valley definitely has room from them both.

It's strange. Dueling Dragons, not so much Dragon Challenge, is probably one of the most iconic coaster(s) in the world. It is genuinely a shame that they'll go, but whatever they put in its/their place will hopefully inspire a whole new generation of goons.

davidm

Strata Poster
Unfortunately I would think it'll be more a Gringotts "coaster" v2 than anything adrenaline-inducting.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, but that can still inspire, and give riders of tomorrow photos opportunities to share on their social medias, which is more important than actually riding an engineered masterpiece that thrills hardcore adrenaline junkies.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Of course it can, but the two (looks good and rides good) don't have to be mutually exclusive.

See: Taron - loved by everyone who rides it, families and goons alike, and looks fantastic.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Makes sense really. Disney is firing on all sides with D23 and their infinite announcements for Disney World. 2019 will mean the enormous Star Wars Land will be drawing in tourists from around the globe, and, of course, Universal wants some of them as well. What better way than a new attraction! I really hope Universal does something more with this one though cause they've been so boring lately. No great ride additions since 2010's Forbidden Journey.

As for Dragon Challenge, Dueling Dragons has never really belonged with Harry Potter. It takes 15 minutes to walk to the station, and the ride, onboard, has no theming for Harry Potter. In fact, you are very obviously in a backlot area which is more Six Flags than Universal. They seem to be very serious with creating two seamless Wizarding Worlds, and this is a logical step. I'm very excited to see what they are going to make of it. I just really hope it's more like Forbidden Journey than Gringotts. It'll be more Gringotts though, I'm fairly sure. I really hope they start to change their game from screens to screens to screens because, as of now, I'm growing pretty tired of Universal.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Of all the B&Ms - who would have thought this to be the first one that is torn down?

After IoA did the total rebuild of Incredible Hulk, I took all bets off the wild rumors of Dragon Challenge being removed. However crazy it sounded, only Universal would feel up to the challenge of removing such an iconic ride. Dragon Challenge was in some ways the sore thumb of Harry Potter; adapted to the story of the new area, but an obvious holdover from its Dueling Dragons era as the jewel of the Lost Continent. Sad to see it go, excited for what's to come, and grateful Universal is in charge of the process.

... and please, let Poseidon's Fury be next on the chopping block. :p

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Was really hoping to get a last ride on Dragons during my October visit. Ahh well.

2019 seems a relatively short time to build this thing - just a year and half to dismantle Dragons and then build the entire new attraction. I really can't see it being anything too expansive. Here's hoping for a non-screen-based ride.

peep

CF Legend
No great ride additions since 2010's Forbidden Journey.

Not every ride has to be the best thing ever though (a lot of people would also argue that Gringrotts is better too). Universal have been fairly consistent at adding new things to experience. Since 2010 they've added Diagon Alley/the train, Skull Island dark ride, re-built Hulk, Jimmy Fallon simulator (sounds like a temp attraction), Fast and Furious (next year), this new Potter ride in 2019 and then Super Nintendo land. On top of that they've added a big waterpark and a bunch of hotels with rumours of a third theme park within the next 5-10 years.

... and please, let Poseidon's Fury be next on the chopping block.

No! I'll be truly sad when that goes, it's amazing.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Would they really just scrap the coasters? Would be a shame not to sell them to a park which could really use two major attractions. Do they still ride well (in terms of smoothness and fun)?

I do hope the replacement is a thrill coaster, as surely when they go, Hulk will be the only high-thrill coaster at the park?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Would they really just scrap the coasters? Would be a shame not to sell them to a park which could really use two major attractions. Do they still ride well (in terms of smoothness and fun)?

I do hope the replacement is a thrill coaster, as surely when they go, Hulk will be the only high-thrill coaster at the park?
That's what they did with "old" Incredible Hulk - track went straight to the scrapper. This is, in part, because it can be very costly to disassemble the track piece by piece for resale, especially without a buyer lined up.

Kalistos

Mega Poster
Hulk and his specific lay-out were too much linked with IoA, I would hardly have imagined Universal taking the risk to let another Hulk spotting in another park.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hulk and his specific lay-out were too much linked with IoA, I would hardly have imagined Universal taking the risk to let another Hulk spotting in another park.
You'd be surprised at how unaware park guests are at roller coaster layouts, especially for those transplanted from one park to the next.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I can also say I've heard the rumor that JK Rowling doesn't like either coaster in the area. I think she's being ridiculous as it's in a theme park and when I think a theme park I think amusement rides that are themed to an experience that still look like amusement rides, not the exact location from the film. Well since this practically confirms it I wouldn't rule out Hippogriff being on the chopping block as well. (See what I did there?)

I seriously hope someone buys it if they sell it. It's certainly a Universal icon so I'm not sure how they'll feel about people checking in on social media at other parks with pictures of "that dragon ride from Universal" but I don't see how it wouldn't be more economical to sell it. Darien Lake lacks a dueling coaster and might be a good choice if they can afford it. If they have big enough flat plots of land I'd like to see Dollywood or SDC get it myself, though. Both parks lack inverts or racing/dueling coasters and with their quality of theming I could see these being great painted some washed out color twisting around each other in the woods.

As for what replaces it, I'd imagine it could be a Fantastic Beasts tie in depending on if they make sequels. Something else that acts as a reference to Goblet of Fire or the Triwizard Tournament would be great too, as Challenge I think was the only reference to the fourth movie in the area.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I can also say I've heard the rumor that JK Rowling doesn't like either coaster in the area. I think she's being ridiculous as it's in a theme park and when I think a theme park I think amusement rides that are themed to an experience that still look like amusement rides, not the exact location from the film. Well since this practically confirms it I wouldn't rule out Hippogriff being on the chopping block as well. (See what I did there?)

Hippogriff won't go, the fact that they cloned it and put it in the other parks should tell you that.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^^ Don't see why they wouldn't want to sell them (I wouldn't see that as being more expensive than just cutting them up and selling them for scrap) but I suppose they could also go to another park in the chain. They would be great with a Jurassic Park theme in USH.

^I was not aware it was cloned, actually! That's good to know, probably because those aren't nearly as brash as this thing is.