Lap Bar or OTSR

• Lap Bar

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • OTSR

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
So the reason Intamin just doesn't bother with it is because they still cannot figure out how to make a decent lap bar when nobody else has a problem?
Pathetic.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Once again, Maverick throws you forward in the brakes. You can feel the horse collars holding your shoulders back as the train decelerates. Blue Fire probably doesn't stop as quickly. Also, it's not that Intamin overlooked their restraints or don't know how to properly design them. They obviously feel comfortable with their over the shoulder restraints and the restraints do their job.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, be careful here.

Intmain probably spent years and a huge amount of money coming up with a "universal train/seat/restraint system". The idea being that any Intamin steel coaster could use exactly the same parts on the track for riders. This brings down production coasts, design coasts, testing costs and development costs.

It's a great idea and probably allowed Intamin the opportunity to gain the foothold they have in the industry.

Then there's essentially a "flaw" in that design. They may have already foreseen it, I don't know. So instead of going back to the drawing board on everything, they simply modified the seat/restraint system - allowing them to continue using their standard train chassis system and everything that comes along with that. I don't know if the restraints and station systems are cross compatible, but it could be that if CP needed new TTD trains, they could run a mix of old style and new style restraints (doubtful, but they may have worked along those lines).

Essentially, it's all about keep costs down and reusing as much tech as you can. Hence, Intamin are relatively stuck with their trains and it's cheaper to redesign restraints/seats than the entire chassis.

Who had the first lap bar designs like this BTW? Was it Intamin or B&M?

A

Anonymous

Antinos said:
Once again, Maverick throws you forward in the brakes. You can feel the horse collars holding your shoulders back as the train decelerates. Blue Fire probably doesn't stop as quickly.
Blue fire only do 0.6 g's deceleration, where as most accelerators we have data on do 1 g deceleration, but that includes Formula Rossa as well...

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
So then why the hell does Formula Rossa have a lap bar? Is Intamin going back to the lap bar because the OTSR sucks in so many ways?

Also, what is with the OTSR's on the defunct High Roller
And related, when i went to Strat. years ago, they showed photos of the High Roller without the OTSR, we're these just CG photos? or did the High Roller initially have a system other than the OTSR.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Rossa probably has a lap bar because it's located in the middle east. Not as many Americans are going to ride it due to it's location, so if anybody ends up breaking a nail, it's less likely that it's some pussy American who will sue.

To add to what Furie said, Intamin recently redesigned their train design from this:

ku7ghguglkt0p3g000outo.jpg

As anybody can imagine, I'm sure redesigning an entire train assembly is a complex and time consuming task. To redesign a product and then majorly redesign it a few years later probably isn't worth it. Granted, you will see some minor tweaks and iterations, but Intamin may be waiting for more advanced technology to overhaul their trains.

In response to Furie; I have noticed that Intamins(probably most other rides as well, but I've noticed it mainly on Intamins) have magnets that attach to the train when parked in the station. I'm not sure if this is a connection for electrical current or just a failsafe acting as a parking brake, but it might be how the restraints are locked and unlocked. If they are locked and unlocked electronically, then a different type of restraint/train body/seating configuration would be no big deal.

Regardless of whether they unlock electronically or mechanically, I still don't see a reason to change the restraints. The horse collars hold you in, keep you from getting thrown forward in brake runs, and keep you from getting thrown to the sides in transitions. They may be a bit painful at times, but they do their job.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
Antinos said:
Rossa probably has a lap bar because it's located in the middle east. Not as many Americans are going to ride it due to it's location, so if anybody ends up breaking a nail, it's less likely that it's some pussy American who will sue.

I wasn't gonna say anything... but that's what I was thinking. Americans are (for the most part) pansies that sue over every little cut and scrape.