What's new

Intamin Gyro Swing coming to Blackpool Pleasure Beach?

Matt N

CF Legend
According to RideRater, Blackpool Pleasure Beach have procured an Intamin Gyro Swing: https://riderater.co.uk/12204/gyro-swing-coming-to-blackpool-pleasure-beach/

This has reportedly been confirmed by a NatWest bank loan listed on Companies House, describing an “Intamin Gyroswing at Blackpool Pleasure Beach”. Amanda Thompson previously spoke about the park building a “new attraction” to replace the Grand Prix, but it is unknown whether this is said new attraction or whether it is going elsewhere in the park.

Isn’t this exciting news? It’s brilliant that Blackpool is building a new ride; this will be their first since Icon in 2018, and as much as this ride style isn’t my favourite, these Gyro Swings are typically received well by those who’ve ridden!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 31
Well they already got their own version of liseberg's best coaster so why not nick their best flat too? Excellent choice, been hoping to see more of these get added.

That's fantastic! Drayton might already have a Gyro Swing but they're so far apart in development might as well be a different ride. Swingi at my home park Linnanmäki is a gigantic blast, and they're a visual spectacle to outside the park as well in addition to just being a fun ride.

^ I have gotten the impression that Ice Blast is on thin ice, (no pun intended) and it's area is much larger than an S&S tower requires, but I'm not sure if it's quite large enough for a Gyro Swing?

^ I have gotten the impression that Ice Blast is on thin ice, (no pun intended) and it's area is much larger than an S&S tower requires, but I'm not sure if it's quite large enough for a Gyro Swing?
Definitely. Ice Blast takes up a ridiculous 30-by-40 metre site, give or take, while the larger Gyro Swings have a 16-by-26 metre footprint (plus swing clearance, which is super flexible). Hell they could squeeze it on the former Mouse site if they wanted to.

As much as I wouldn't want them to though I wouldn't rule out it being a Grand Prix replacement. Mandy's Pleasure Beach doesn't strike me as the kind of park that plans out multiple major new attractions ahead of time.

The Zamperla ones are great fun, but the openness of the restraints on Loke (and Swingi, and eventually this) are really unrivaled. Far & away superior.

The Zamperla ones are great fun, but the openness of the restraints on Loke (and Swingi, and eventually this) are really unrivaled. Far & away superior.
I skipped Loke a few days ago. I didn't realise the newer versions had different restraints. Luckily, I'll get to rectify this mistake by trying out Swinggi soon. Lucky I read this otherwise I might have skipped that one, too.

Am I the only person on the planet that thinks these are all boring? Sure Loki was the best of this type of ride that I've ridden... But it's still just a spinning swing. 🙈 😂

Some of the comments in here, and excitement levels, are making me question my own sanity... Have I completely missed something about these rides? I pretty much always skip anything like this. And they never seem to have a queue either.

I love a good massive swing! Sure, they're simple rides, but sometimes you just want to be chucked into the sky by a massive spinning pendulum with only a lap bar to hold you in.

Plus, more flats! Parks need a good flat selection for variety and crowd management, and we've kinda been starved for them in the UK with so many closing and the main company here refusing to add any for years.

Am I the only person on the planet that thinks these are all boring? Sure Loki was the best of this type of ride that I've ridden... But it's still just a spinning swing.

Some of the comments in here, and excitement levels, are making me question my own sanity... Have I completely missed something about these rides? I pretty much always skip anything like this. And they never seem to have a queue either.
As far as flat rides go, I think they're pretty decent and a lot less nauseating than the smaller versions and most other flat rides. I do tend to skip a lot of them these days though purely because I've done quite a lot of them.

I've seen plenty of them get decent queues, but they have a pretty large capacity which will get those down, and a high intimidation factor (the giant ones at least) which will put many people off.