What's new

Icon Park - Drop Tower Accident 24/03/2022

oriolat2

Giga Poster
To clarify even further, Orlando Slingshot is the division of Funtime that owns and operates the ICON park thrill rides, Magical Midway a little further up International Drive and Screamer's Park at Daytona Beach.
Fun fact - Orlando Slingshot leased the area where the Orlando Starflyer sits after negotiations with John Arie, the owner of the Fun Spot parks, fell through. Orlando Slingshot was originally supposed to lease the plot of land across the street from White Lightning's station to operate the world's tallest Starflyer and Slingshot rides. However, there was bad blood between the two for years, as Magical Midway was the only place that refused to pay the annual fee to Arie, who owns the patient for multi-level go carts. Arie sued Magical Midway (aka Orlando Slingshot), but a settlement was reached before going to trial.
That is some hot tea! Thanks for sharing the ins and outs of the Orlando Slinghost division. So, correct me if I am wrong, if the Orlando Slingshot was a division of Funtime, and the Orlando Freefall was made by Funtime, could it be assumed that Funtime was aware of the tweaking that was done to the ride hardware to allow larger guests?

SimonProD

Mega Poster
Wonder if it will be melted down or if it might pop up somewhere else. The structure itself should be an almost brand new drop tower.
I wondered the same thing. If it goes back to the manufacturer and restored to its specs I guess it could run again. Likely not anywhere near Orlando...

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
That is some hot tea! Thanks for sharing the ins and outs of the Orlando Slinghost division. So, correct me if I am wrong, if the Orlando Slingshot was a division of Funtime, and the Orlando Freefall was made by Funtime, could it be assumed that Funtime was aware of the tweaking that was done to the ride hardware to allow larger guests?
Great question, I had no idea they were basically the manufacturer as well as the operator.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure, but I highly doubt it. Especially since Funtime is located in Australia, I doubt the folks that run the company were in the loop about what was happening with the ride other than assuming everything was as it should be. Was Six Flags headquarters in Arlington, Texas aware of what led to various maintenance failure accidents at their parks beforehand? Kind of the same thing IMO, whether intentional or not.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Although the operater company is owned by the manufacturer, they're still different companies (and not just divisions of the same company) that sit on different contintents. :)
But that age old saying ‘the buck stops at the top’ still applies, no?

There’s often a blame game when things like this happen, back and forth between the operators and manufacturers. We’ve seen it lots of times, and we’ve even seen it here. But that seems, to me, kind of irrelevant. If ultimately, one party ‘owns’ the other. No matter how far away they are.