What's new

IAAPA 2022

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I miss pictures form the Polin and Proslide booth this year. Did Polin do some press conference?
Polin did a press conference - six new attractions revealed. Unsure about Proslide. We tend not to cover the water park stuff.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
And in other IAAPA news, trashy enthusiasts, even in small numbers.... make the rest of us look terrible.... and to do it on the stage as grand as IAAPA is incredibly inappropriate.
I guess what people in the community fail to realize is that the convention is indeed a place of business for parks and manufacturers and not some place for fans to run around and do meet and greets. The fact that a few who were granted access to the tradeshow felt the need to go on and bash a manufacturer for not granting them time is a bad look for the rest of us. There are literally multi-million dollar deals going down all across the convention and not every manufacturer or designer is going to have time to talk to fans who aren't even buying when honestly you have companies with their entire livelihood at stake if they fail to make a sale. [/rant]

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
And in other IAAPA news, trashy enthusiasts, even in small numbers.... make the rest of us look terrible.... and to do it on the stage as grand as IAAPA is incredibly inappropriate.
I guess what people in the community fail to realize is that the convention is indeed a place of business for parks and manufacturers and not some place for fans to run around and do meet and greets. The fact that a few who were granted access to the tradeshow felt the need to go on and bash a manufacturer for not granting them time is a bad look for the rest of us. There are literally multi-million dollar deals going down all across the convention and not every manufacturer or designer is going to have time to talk to fans who aren't even buying when honestly you have companies with their entire livelihood at stake if they fail to make a sale. [/rant]

Did something specific happen this time? I mean it always seems to with people getting unjustly annoyed and constantly asking for interviews asking questions no manafacturer is ever going to answer with NDAs and the such.

I went down to IAAPA Europe this year and had a great time wandering around. Don't think I even spoke to a manafacturer, the best part of IAAPA is going to the pub with friends in the industry and thats where you learn all the cool stuff anyway 🤣

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Yes, a wannabe 'influencer' made a snarky comment because they couldn't talk with B&M. Nobody cares you help with a YouTube page, even if it does have 10,000 followers, you're not buying a $25,000,000 coaster, they owe you *nothing*.

And yeah, I went my whole day just saying hello to those who said it to me. I think the only person I actually talked to was @CedarPoint6 for like, 2 minutes 🤷‍♂️

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Yes, a wannabe 'influencer' made a snarky comment because they couldn't talk with B&M. Nobody cares you help with a YouTube page, even if it does have 10,000 followers, you're not buying a $25,000,000 coaster, they owe you *nothing*.

And yeah, I went my whole day just saying hello to those who said it to me. I think the only person I actually talked to was @CedarPoint6 for like, 2 minutes 🤷‍♂️
It's a problem every year. Thoosies think it's a fan convention when in reality it's for business.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Yeah this has blown up enough that IAAPA's DOC has felt the need to speak out regarding the poor behavior. Take note that those involved weren't designated as press;

Now, I've spoken to friends at the event who have a pretty good idea of what happened and more, and I've watched the ****-storm go down on Twitter. It doesn't matter who was misbehaving - even though frankly, we all know - as much as that it was unprofessional. Don't think I can contribute anything other than what's already been said, but this key word is what bothers me the most.

One that snuck under the radar was that Mack have sold a launched Big Dipper to Sun World Ba Na Hills in Vietnam. No info in the layout beyond a launch yet but looking forwards to this
Found it interesting that RCDB not only reported a Zierer Force, but that both will be indoors. Intrigued about this one.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Can someone please explain what exactly happened? I feel like I'm following a breadcrumb trail which is deeply frustrating when I would like to know what behaviours had taken place by whom so I know what's considered appropriate/inappropriate behaviour at a tradeshow.

davidm

Strata Poster
Yes, a wannabe 'influencer' made a snarky comment because they couldn't talk with B&M. 🤷‍♂️
I think I saw that comment but I only took it as a joke, no snark? The wider point whether enthusiasts trying to get clicks for their socials should even be at the event is relevant (IMHO they shouldn't, unless they are real accredited "press" too) but I'm not sure whether I'm just reading that into the "storm" that has blown up over these comments or whether there was more daft behaviour?

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
But I'm not sure whether I'm just reading that into the "storm" that has blown up over these comments or whether there was more daft behaviour?
That comment alone was not worth blowing up over. But there was other tomfoolery beyond that, and I know for a fact that another enthusiast was paid to not talk over a separate incident at the Pipeline car reveal. The event organizers looked into it, but at this point it's just gossip. IAAPA isn't the place for drama.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ ah, right, thanks. Glad (???) it wasn't just that, the person making that comment has got a lot of flak over this and other things and its not nice to see.

Boodangy

Mega Poster
Oh my lord... Please, NAME NAMES. Everything from people here on this thread, from IAAPA, from Twitter is all just "something happened somewhere with someone and it's bad", NAME NAMES. If you don't want to name names, it's clearly not significant enough and we can all forget about it.

If it's actually meaningful just say who it is so everyone knows what actually happened but without detail you're just causing drama for the sake of causing drama like posting a status on you social medias saying "Wow I guess sometimes you just learn who your friends really are :/"

davidm

Strata Poster
I only know what I've seen on Twitter - so go look at Twitter. If you don't follow lots of theme park geeks on Twitter then it would be meaningless to you anyway.