What's new

Hyperia or Voltron; which new-for-2024 Mack do you prefer?

Hyperia or Voltron; which new-for-2024 Mack do you prefer?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. 2024 has been an exciting year for new Mack coasters, with two significant Mack thrill coasters opening in Europe this year. These are Hyperia at Thorpe Park, a Mack HyperCoaster, and Voltron at Europa Park, a Mack Stryker Coaster. Both of these rides have been hotly anticipated, and both are getting rave reviews. With this in mind, I thought that now they've been open for a few months and quite a lot of people have managed to get out and ride both, it might be interesting to do a poll of which ride people prefer out of Voltron or Hyperia. So, I'd be interested to know; if you've managed to ride both, do you prefer Hyperia or Voltron?

At face value, Voltron seems to me to be getting more positive reception than Hyperia, but I have heard a fair few people say that they prefer Hyperia to Voltron, so I'm not too sure how the consensus actually stacks up...

I've only done Hyperia, and as much as that's a sublime coaster and possibly looks a bit more my sort of thing than Voltron at first glance, I wouldn't want to conclusively declare my own allegiance towards either without having done both, so I'm voting undecided.

But I'd be keen to know; which new-for-2024 Mack do you prefer? Is Hyperia your winner, or is Voltron more your style?

Theming: Voltron 1 - Hyperia 0
Ride experience: Voltron 2 - Hyperia 0
Queue line: Voltron 3 - Hyperia 0
Soundtrack: Voltron 3 - Hyperia 1
Elements: Voltron 4 - Hyperia 1
Area: Voltron 5 - Hyperia 1
Airtime: Voltron 6 - Hyperia 1
Inversions: Voltron 7 - Hyperia 1
Presentation: Voltron 8 - Hyperia 1
Duration: Voltron 9 - Hyperia 1
Smoothness: Voltron 10 - Hyperia 1
Capacity: Voltron 11 - Hyperia 1
Hangtime: Voltron 11 - Hyperia 2
Intensity: Voltron 12 - Hyperia 2
Pacing: Voltron 12 - Hyperia 2 (tie)
Reliability: Voltron 13 - Hyperia 2

Voltron by a country mile. Hyperia is such a frustrating ride as it just feels incomplete. I can never shake the feeling that I've had half a ride when getting off. Voltron, particularly on the return to the station absolutely kicks your arse and is absolutely joyous.

For me, they're similar in that they're very intense airtime beasts and are Macks.

They are also very different to one another so it's like comparing The Smiler with let's say Shambhala? Not quite the right comparison but both are very unique.

I slightly prefer Voltron as it is a complete package with it's theming and length.

Hyperia is fantastic and really intense however it'd beat Voltron if the ride's presentation is better and being slightly longer. It doesn't leave me feeling short changed at all.

Wonder why people that haven't ridden both have voted?

Anyway... Hyperia for me, right now. But we had a very poor opening experience with Voltron, and yet, Hyperia didn't let us down on opening day.

Opening days aside, I can't shake the feeling that Voltron is just a better themed Smiler with launches instead of lifts, and a couple of inversions switched to airtime moments. It's as rattly, it has the same break in flow halfway through, and just looks and feels like the smiler to me.

But I do need to get on it again. I have been known to make complete U-turns on revisits, especially when it comes to Europa for some reason.

Voltron takes it (only just ;))

If you took the final 20% after the penultimate block brakes on Voltron and added it to Hyperia, both rides would be better for it. Hyperia ends after the stall and riding Voltron I started checking my watch as I passed the courtyard.

Also the headache lottery on Voltron rattle still persisted on my trip 2 weeks ago, but that didn't stop me taking ~10 re-rides.