What's new

Huss worker crushed to death at PdA Madrid

Rach

Giga Poster
This has just popped up on my Twitter feed and having just come back it has really creeped me out! It's in Spanish, so I'll just post a rough translation from Google!

The ride was down all day for maintenance and 2/3 guys were working on it throughout the day. Clearly they were from Huss carrying out essential maintenance on it.

el-rotor.jpg

http://www.intereconomia.com/noticias-g ... d-20130509

The worker, 55 and German performed maintenance on attraction when it was crushed by a beam and a counterweight.

An operator of 55 years German has died on Wednesday after being trapped by a beam and a counterweight at the top of the central support of Attraction 'Rotor' Amusement Park of Madrid, more than 30 meters high.

The accident happened about 19:30 when the operator maintenance effected in the attraction, which is a kind of merry-going up and down and rotates about a central axis of 33 meters.

The local health emergency service (Samur-Civil Protection) who have moved to the entertainment precinct only been able to confirm the death of the worker, who died possibly as a result of crushing.

The address of the Theme Park, United Parks group, has indicated that the deceased was performing operator maintenance and belonged to the manufacturer of the attraction, based in Germany, according to the same source.
Three fire crews Madrid City Council have rescued the body with the help of a large articulated arm. Municipal police officers have taken charge of the accident investigation.

Me and Peep left the park less than an hour before that happened!

Thoughts to the guys family/friends. I would hate to have seen that happen. :(

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I meant to post this! Thanks Rach!

I was pretty shocked to read the news. According to people close to PdA, the accident was a result of a misunderstanding between the Huss worker and the maintenance crew. Supposedly, the union wants to press charges against the managing board of PdA because they feel that safety has worsened since the maintenance tasks were outsourced not too long ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Huss sues their ass, too.

I can't imagine how horrific must be dying crushed by such a heavy piece of machinery. :cry:

My thoughts go to his family and friends.