What's new

Hurricane Ian

JFranks

Mega Poster
I thought it was worth to create a thread here since the area affected is among the best for theme park enthusiast. I wanted to make sure y’all are safe and maybe people who experienced it can share their expreinces. It seems that the hurricane is at cat 1 in Orlando rn. Soon enough images from BGT and different Orlando resorts will roll around of how much damage was made, as well as to the area with floodings, destryed houses, power outages etc. Please stay safe and be careful with floodings, loose tree branches etc. and wish y’all the best of luck.

i305_zack

Mega Poster
Think coasters being damaged should be the last thing on our minds as well rn guys, not saying anyone was thinking that but in case someone is thinking that gwazi will get destroyed from this, millions of dollars were poured into that coaster, no way seaworld won’t take hurricanes into account when discussing this coaster. That coaster is totally meant to withstand a hurricane.

JFranks

Mega Poster
Think coasters being damaged should be the last thing on our minds as well rn guys, not saying anyone was thinking that but in case someone is thinking that gwazi will get destroyed from this, millions of dollars were poured into that coaster, no way seaworld won’t take hurricanes into account when discussing this coaster. That coaster is totally meant to withstand a hurricane.
yeah, just think of how many hurricanes normal gwazi survived. Generally, wooden coasters are far more stable than some ppl think. They will ofc assess the damages, if there is any fix do it and open it ASAP.

spicy

Giga Poster
I’m currently staying at the WDW Swan and it’s pretty bad outside. The noise from the wind has been incredible since about 8pm last night and is still going strong.

Hotel is full of evacuees with their pets too, just feel so sorry for them, they may not have a home to go back too.

The hotel staff have been amazing though and have handled it so well so far, can’t fault them at all.
They have set up an entertainment room for the kids doing activities with them, a movie room playing Disney movies and put on emergency shuttles from Swan-swan reserve/Dolphin so everyone staying could use all 3 hotels without walking into the weather.

Parks are due to be back open tomorrow although I will be surprised if they are, hopefully the damage isn’t too bad and no one’s injured.

Just got the following alert too:
2a28e9e69c0f23e50598c66ea7a08d7f.jpg

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I’m currently staying at the WDW Swan and it’s pretty bad outside. The noise from the wind has been incredible since about 8pm last night and is still going strong.

Hotel is full of evacuees with their pets too, just feel so sorry for them, they may not have a home to go back too.

The hotel staff have been amazing though and have handled it so well so far, can’t fault them at all.
They have set up an entertainment room for the kids doing activities with them, a movie room playing Disney movies and put on emergency shuttles from Swan-swan reserve/Dolphin so everyone staying could use all 3 hotels without walking into the weather.

Parks are due to be back open tomorrow although I will be surprised if they are, hopefully the damage isn’t too bad and no one’s injured.

Just got the following alert too:
2a28e9e69c0f23e50598c66ea7a08d7f.jpg
on the news just now it said the next hour or so will be the worst for Orlando, Hope you stay safe, good thing is it's been downgraded to a Tropical Storm before hitting the Orlando area, still lots of risk from water though.

davidm

Strata Poster
My dad had a condo on Sanibel, he used to visit for a month or so a couple of times a year.

Sold it at the start of this year though (he hadn't been since covid obviously). Its awful, he's a bit upset with it all.

Bullet dodged though!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
My dad had a condo on Sanibel, he used to visit for a month or so a couple of times a year.

Sold it at the start of this year though (he hadn't been since covid obviously). Its awful, he's a bit upset with it all.

Bullet dodged though!
Hope all of his friends / neighbours are ok. :/

But yeh, bullet dodged.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hearing from coworkers in Tampa and Orlando - gratefully doing ok, with storm surges really being the main thing wreaking havoc (that is, water level rise caused by hurricane, ~10-15 ft. in some locations).

Airspace continues to be closed for Florida, but Orlando Airport has also confirmed no flights today through first half of tomorrow:

At last check, Universal and Disney are hoping to be open for weekend - biggest thing pending is roadway/infrastructure damage outside of park property, which we're still waiting to hear more on.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Our villa seemed to avoid the worst of it, I didn't sleep a wink though as the worst hit overnight. I've never seen so much rainfall before and the wind was howling.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster