What's new

How to record on a Roller Coaster?

Wrightyboy13

Roller Poster
I'm going to Alton Towers in October and I want to catch some footage on the rides (for personal use only) as I want to get some memories of my mums first proper coaster. I have a GoPro and a chest mount. Do you think I would get permission?

Wrightyboy13

Roller Poster
Mushroom said:
Alton is a BIG no

I've seen some videos on YouTube and I found one where a guy recorded his day at the park and he was using a GoPro and chest mount and he was even taking camera off mount at end to show his reaction to ride! I wonder if he just asked when he was about to get on rides and I'm sure the operators would be a lot less strict about it then park management!

Dar

Hyper Poster
So the park has a major safety incident and your first reaction to ask if you can flout their safety rules?

Perfect sense.

Wrightyboy13

Roller Poster
Dar said:
So the park has a major safety incident and your first reaction to ask if you can flout their safety rules?

Perfect sense.

I don't mind following their rules, it just makes me annoyed when people like coaster force and TPR record rides all the time but just because they are 'media' and they have a proper purpose for it doesn't mean there is less chance of the camera being unsafe. I know lots of people who do the same thing as TPR who use GoPro's and they are allowed! I just thought that if they are allowed then I should be as I'm doing more or less the same thing, except I'm using it for a different reason! (personal use, not for youtube or owt like that)

Anyway, how can you compare holding a camera to two cars crashing? Perfect sense.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Then go through the proper channels and get proper permission, like CF and TPR do, so the park know what you're doing and can make sure your rig is up to their standards.

EDIT: You want to flout safety rules, that are there for yours and other guest's well being, for the sake of some videos that you've admitted are already available via other professional channels. Granted, a camera flying off and smacking an innocent passer-by probably isn't going to cause broken legs, but it's for sure going to ruin their day for the sake of your own personal gain.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Aye TPR and no matter what you may hear on there CF too gain permission for the POV's you see on Youtube (or are sent them via the park themselves), a lot of the stuff you'll see on YouTube from smaller accounts has been filmed illegally and I'm not going to say how just in case it gives you ideas.

mouse

Giga Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQ7OwMXE2U[/youtube]

Thought this cool video I found would fit in with this topic :p.
The ride op keeps filming after she takes the camera...