What's new

How quickly do coasters tend to enter and exit the station?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. I’ve been playing a bit of Planet Coaster, and I noticed that in the game, every coaster’s default entry and exit speed into the station is set at 9mph. However, I thought that that seemed a little bit fast; not many coasters seem to exit and enter the station as quickly as they do in the game. Some particularly fast braking systems (for instance, Thirteen at Alton Towers) might, but I wouldn’t think many coasters do. Things like traditional wooden coasters look way slower than 9mph when they enter and exit the station!

So my question to you is; how fast does a coaster train tend to be when it’s entering and leaving the station? How fast would a steel coaster, such as a B&M, be in comparison to a wooden coaster?

Sorry if this seems really nerdy; I’d just be interested to know!

bmac

Giga Poster
It is entirely dependent on the ride itself.

Most wooden coasters are gravity driven out of the station, so their speed isn't really controlled when the train is dispatched.
Steel coasters all have different speeds leaving the stations even for similar rides from the same manufacturers, Green Lantern and Riddler handle their stations entirely differently. Hell even tire driven wood coasters have different speeds as well.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Banshee stands out in my mind as have a specific drive wheel design to get the train out of station quicker than usual, or at least was a key note at opening.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Planet Coaster is my favourite ever sim park game. It's great but has many flaws no where near limited to operations and station activity. It behaves less like real life, and more like a game. One that should allow more cars on dark rides than the ludicrous 20 car limit or allowing people getting on and off at the same time. PC2 sort it out..

Grumble grumble and Boohoo over, feel free to return to the point. As long as you are ok with this just sparking an idea and not a baseline 😁

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Whoever set this ride up is on to a winner when it comes to station entry speed.....

The throughput will be through the roof.
giphy.gif