• 20 days+

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Never!

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters

AJ

Giga Poster
ciallkennett said:
but rarely get intoxicated to the point of having blurred memories/no memory of an evening whatsoever

Didn't you piss yourself at a live due to alcohol intake?

.... I drink as and when. Recently a fair bit. Just seems appropriate for the current weather!

Dan1989

Mega Poster
I am not the biggest fan of alcohol, I drink to get pissed around every 2weeks, but if there is footy on ill have 1 or 2 in the local. I'm much more of a stoner and enjoy having a joint on the beach with my dog

Ben

CF Legend
I have a drink 9 days out of 10. I only don't if I'm hanging.

Wednesdays are Wine Wednesdays, where I sit with a friend with a bottle of wine each.

And then one weekend night I'll have enough to get at least drunk, if not hammered.

I get it from my mother cause she's probably even worse than I am. Can't wait for my liver transplant <3

marc

CF Legend
Maybe once every two years.

I just don't like it anymore as when I drink I really drink and get smashed.

I hate losing the following day so would rather just enjoy the night sober lol.

I used to drink far to much so this is why I stopped.

thx

Mega Poster
Now in the summer, like once every two weeks to once a week. During uni it's usually twice a week, and some weeks more often, there's always some birthdays or random events going on. To be honest I would like to cut down, as I remember some weeks when drinking 4-5 days and it's really bad and I'm getting older so it's getting harder as well. I never get drunk on my own though, it's boring and depressing for me, I can have a few drinks to catch up if I can't make it to a preparty or if I'm watching football (soccer) or so, but that happens maybe once-twice a month.

Jake

Strata Poster
I don't tend to drink in the week (now I'm working), but I'm a proper binge drinker and get absolutely steaming most weekends.

My hangovers have got really bad in the last couple of years though (to the point where I can't even stand up without feeling vile), so I just lie in bed with the curtains closed eating fried food. I almost always vom half way through the night too.

Cus I'm a classy bird.

Dan1989

Mega Poster
^ Why that is just stupid, spend your money on an xbox game or rampant rabbit instead? What is the point of drinking just to make yourself loose out on the next day?

Ben

CF Legend
^How is spending a day on an Xbox or with a rampant rabbit not a wasted day...?

We're not missing out on the cure to cancer cause we're hungover, they're usually Sundays when you just mong anyway...

gforce

Roller Poster
^Adding to that, my mom was an alcoholic and I do not want to follow that path. When she was sober I considered living with my aunt who I actually liked more than my mother, and my aunt had her fair share of drinks but never got drunk, not even just a little bit. I never got around to it, but I stayed at her house for 1 or 2 days every week, which really helped. She also smoked, which wasn't as bad as the drinking but was still pretty bad. It is hard to get those terrible childhood memories off my mind sometimes, but my 2 kids help me get those memories off my mind. I moved out of the house at 18. I thought my life was over at first but then now I have traveled to nearly 60 countries, ridden exactly 1,200 roller coasters live with the perfect family I could ask for.

This is why I have never taken a sip of alchohal or a single cigarette or cigar. It ruined my life at first and I did not want it to go on for the rest of my life.

Casio

Mega Poster
Once every other month or so; I don't really have any time to go out at Uni so when I do I try to go hard. I also can't stand beer so I only really get drunk at clubs, never in a pub or something social like that. It's not that fun really, but I do always sleep really well :--D

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
Antinos said:
nadroJ said:
Antinos said:
This past school year, I would have at least a casual beer or two every weekend, usually both Friday and Saturday nights. I'd say I got drunk probably once every other week. That's college for you, though!

Hahaha I'd love to see how you lot would survive a UK university lifestyle XD

My school is known as a drinking school. I'm sure I can get by just fine across the pond.
Ever heard of Indiana University? My brothers go there and ill have to say its drunken people central! :drinking:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
gforce said:
^Adding to that, my mom was an alcoholic and I do not want to follow that path. When she was sober I considered living with my aunt who I actually liked more than my mother, and my aunt had her fair share of drinks but never got drunk, not even just a little bit. I never got around to it, but I stayed at her house for 1 or 2 days every week, which really helped. She also smoked, which wasn't as bad as the drinking but was still pretty bad. It is hard to get those terrible childhood memories off my mind sometimes, but my 2 kids help me get those memories off my mind. I moved out of the house at 18. I thought my life was over at first but then now I have traveled to nearly 60 countries, ridden exactly 1,200 roller coasters live with the perfect family I could ask for.

This is why I have never taken a sip of alchohal or a single cigarette or cigar. It ruined my life at first and I did not want it to go on for the rest of my life.

To be fair, obviously the emotional issues are important to you, but it's probably a good thing you've never had a drink anyway. It seems that alcoholism is genetic, so there's a chance that you could have easily become alcoholic yourself - so good choice.

I think it's hard for somebody who doesn't get "the alcohol buzz" to understand it. I saw a program that delved into why people love alcohol, and why people become alcoholic.

In most people, alcohol triggers the release of feel good hormones in the brain. So you flood your system with euphoric creating chemicals. That's why people enjoy a drink. It's just enough to make you happy and to enjoy the experience, but not so much you can't see yourself living without it.

In a few people, this trigger doesn't happen. Their brains simply don't react that way to alcohol, so they just get all the negative physical problems of drinking with no enjoyment to over come the negatives.

In another few people, the chemical release is massive. It's so huge, that it's difficult for those people to deal with what their life offers them. It's this chemical in the brain which causes the addiction, the alcohol is the trigger. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I think it's about 20% of the population just get nothing, 60%-70% just enjoy alcohol and the rest have this "potential alcoholic" syndrome (not everyone with this problem will become an alcoholic, we do still have a degree of free will).

It's kind of like how some people hate rollercoasters, others enjoy them, but just ever so often and others will do anything for the next thrill and want to ride as much and as often as they can (if you enjoy coasters, the chemicals released are the same as those released due to alcohol intake).

It probably also explains why your auntie drank too, it's likely inherited (both the gene and behaviour). The difference is that some people can actually be fully functioning alcoholics. Our new neighbour is a nightmare drunk, he's loud, aggressive and threatening. He's lovely when sober, but a nightmare drunk. I'm not aggressive when I'm drunk (though I have absolutely no doubt I'm a pain in the arse when really wasted). When I'm still in that "drunk but not gone too far state", I don't think I'm unpleasant (Madame_Furie would make sure I know if I was by getting rid of me). I could probably live life a bit drunk without anyone really noticing, as long as I never had too much. Certainly enough to be classed as an alcoholic.

People are just different in how they are when they're drunk - some alcoholics can function completely, others it destroys them.

So yeah, I do feel for you gforce, it's a terrible thing to grow up with somebody so unstable. It's certainly good for you you've not had anything and totally understandable.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I used to drink a lot, every weekend without fail, now it's it's a lot rarer.
I really enjoy real ales so I'll have a couple of bottles every now and then. I only get drunk on special occasions, weddings, stag nights, summer BBQs or a general lads night in, UFC or a footy/rugby match on the telly with a takeaway and poker type thing.

Probably about once a month in total.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Not very often these days...maybe once every few months? I used to be a hardcore drinker, but just became bored of the whole getting drunk thing. I suffered my first hangover the day after my last birthday, and it wasn't pretty.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
NAPayne31 said:
Ever heard of Indiana University? My brothers go there and ill have to say its drunken people central! :drinking:

I have. I actually have a couple friends who go there. Honestly, it just seems like another Big 10 party school.

Darren B

Giga Poster
I only drink once a month generally and that would be for an all out session with the boys, I used to repeat this every week but as I'm getting older I'm kind of getting a little bored of it so I just limit it to once a month now. The only other time I'll drink is if I'm doing a barbecue, I just don't feel manly without a beer in my hand whilst I'm flipping the burgers. and also when I'm on holiday, then I tend to drink every night.

I've never been one to finish work and have a few cans at home, it has to be social drinking for me or nothing at all.

jolash

Mega Poster
If you had asked me this, this time last year, you would have been asking a drunk. I drank every damn day, outside of work. Anywhere from a 1/2-whole fifth in one night, or 6-12+ beers in a night. Now I drink probably once every other week, if even that often. And it wasn't some "I need to clean up my act" thing or anything, it just... happened.