What's new

How good is McAfee?

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
I've always used Norton Internet Security as an anti-virus on my computer.But my yearly subscription runs out in three weeks,and to renew it will cost £55,which has shot up in price since last year.

Somebody I know told me they use McAfee,and that they've never had any problems or viruses while using it.But I'm a bit worried that if somethings free,it can't be that good.

So,is anybody using it,or has used it,or has any horror stories about it?

Feedback will be greatfully received. :--D

jayjay

Giga Poster
My feedback:

Don't use Norton. Really don't use it.

Other than that, I'm no expert on security software. I think McAfee is well recieved by people who know these things. If you're bothered by the fact it's free, find a version of something (not Norton) that you have to pay for which has good reviews. then at least, you'll have the assurance that it's doing a good job.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
jayjay said:
My feedback:

Don't use Norton. Really don't use it.

I've only ever used Norton tbh,never had any problems with it,although it does slow the computer down considerably when scanning.My only moan is the price hike for the update.

Snoo said:
2. AVG is the best antivirus out there, and it is free.

Yep,I've heard of them as well,I take it that's who you use?

Snoo said:
1. Why did you change your name?

Sexy ain't it. :wink:

Snoo

The Legend
1. It is kinda weird. You could have used a 'Mr. Nash'.. woulda been sexier. :p
2. Yeah. I have Norton, but it is a free thing that came with my computer. I'm all about AVG or, as Erol said, Zone Alarm.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
My opinion: Most pay for security is naff. I use NOD32, which is free, and the best security that I can find.

I suggest using this :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Zone Alarm is too clunky. You'll find yourself yelling constantly at your PC to make it go.

It might be fine if you have over a grands worth of PC hardware, but for most average PC's, it's far too resource hungry, plus, you need to read and learn. Otherwise, you'll find that it just stops you from doing anything you want to.

It's too heavy for the kind of light internet use people here will put it through.

I use Avast, after AVG started causing me agro on several PC's. It would install, but refuse to install updates to the core engine. Every boot up, it would say "installing" ask for a reboot then repeat ad infinitum. Like I say, not isolated, but on several PC's.

Avast seems to be fine, but it's not as priatical as I'd like :lol:

Avoid the commercial software like the plague.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
furie said:
Avast seems to be fine, but it's not as priatical as I'd like

Not practical in what way?

Sorry to go on,but I'm a bit of a Steven where computers are concerned. :lol:

And are we saying free software is completely safe to use?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Not piratical as you expect it you go "Yaaaarrrr! AHoy me shipmates, shiver me timbers and does Polly wanna crackerrrr"

It doesn't, it's polite :lol:

It's also free in a free way! :) Oh, and safe too...

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Ohhhhh piratical,got it now. :lol:

Thanks for all the replies guys,I got all the answers I needed,I'll sleep soundly tonight. :lol:

May as well lock it now.

Nic

Strata Poster
yup, I've got AVG on my current mahine. Had Avast before, but got a few viruses... mind you, that was my fault for not service packing my machine, so prob not an issue with the software itself.

I also use Spyware S&D which is pretty good and totally free. Also, read the licence agreement if you get it - its quite comical. Its dedicated to "the most beautiful woman in the world" or something like that!

A

Anonymous

Past

Last time i had Norton Anti (anything) - It blocked my internet twice and eraced some of my text files because they were "Inaccessable via Microsoft Work".

i have AVG free and my computer is running great so i would recommend it.

mrclam

Giga Poster
AVG is known to slow down your internet browsing (it scarpers off to every link on a given page and checks to see if said link has a virus)

I use Avast.

If you pay for virus software - then you're a fool!

mrclam

Giga Poster
Thats the most stupides... nah forget it - no point trying to explain this stuff to a mac owner.