How Fast Is Your Internet Connection??

What Internet Connection Do You Have?

• Stone-Age Dial Up! 56k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low-end Broadband (Usually 2-8mb)

• Medium Broadband (Usually 10mb-16mb)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • High-end Broadband (Usually around 20mb)

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Ridiculous Broadband (Anything above 20mb)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • NEW STYLE OPTION FOR 2009 - MOBILE BROADBAND DONGLE

• Total voters

AeRo

Hyper Poster
loefet said:
10 mbit in each direction, but I have had 100 down/10 up at one apartment I have lived in.

cry.gif

Well apparemtly I am on BTs' 8 Meg, heavy user package but, as we all know it is UP TO 8 meg.

The download speed isn't that critical to me, but an upload speed of 0.5 meg maximum is an issue.

So pretty poor really - and that is wireless on the superduper BT Home Hub 2 :roll:

I also use a mobile dongle, supplied by work, but it is PeeMobile so it don't work unless I am in a city centre, and Organge on my HTC which is pretty good for the out and about browsing.

Gawd I am sad.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
AeRo said:
Well apparemtly I am on BTs' 8 Meg, heavy user package but, as we all know it is UP TO 8 meg.

The download speed isn't that critical to me, but an upload speed of 0.5 meg maximum is an issue.

So pretty poor really - and that is wireless on the superduper BT Home Hub 2 :roll:

We had 2 Mb SDSL at work - so it's supposed to be (as it's synchronous) 2Mb/s both ways.

We could never get about and 256K upstream! You do expect it to be out on upstream, it's the way ADSL works, however, as you increase the pips down, the pipes up should step up too.

After a long while of internet providers blaming BT, and BT blaming the Internet providers I just ditched the lot. SDSL is supposed to be synchronous and it wasn't. Chances are it's down to poor copper in the ground, and unless BT dig up the old and replace with new (not likely), we'll never get any decent offering over traditional lines.

So we have a leased line now which runs over fibre optic. (2Mb, but it's one-to-one contention and a direct hook into BT's main backbone which means it's not super fast, but it's consistent and never fails).

peely

Roller Poster
^ It has to have been bad wiring as until recently at work we had a 2meg SDSL line which definitely worked properly, as in 2 up 2 down. It was a really good connection.

Thats the inherrent problem with BT's infrastructure though, as much as its a bonus of been able to provide 'Broadband' over existing copper wire, the wiring in most places is 60+ years old, so until this all gets replaced (yeah right!) we'll never have super fast broadband available to everyone unless your using Virgin Media of course who utilises their fibre network.

At home ive got the BeThere line at a supposed 24Meg down, and 2.5meg up connection. Actual speed is around 18meg down, and 1.3meg up though. Mind you its still pretty quick! Still no comparison compared to the new leased line at work which is a 100 meg line into a private network with a direct hook up to a internet backbone.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I think the one I'm using now would fall into the "medium" range.

I miss Korea. 100mb for £12 a month. For most things I'm doing though, I can't tell any difference.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
As long as someone in the house doesnt mess with the fair useage rules... (basically downloading anything between 4pm-12am). I get a stead 10mb, but it can go up to 20+ at some points, but its never sustained.

davidm

Strata Poster

Not ran a speedtest in quite some time.... but that was the results.

I'm on Sky's medium service so pay £5/month for that. Thats OK I think (considering I remember paying ~£13/month (plus the cost of the phone call) for dial-up back in the day!

Not quite Tokyo speeds tho'

thx

Mega Poster
Apparently, it is. I'm not really sure what were paying, I think it's around 25-30€/month.

Error

Strata Poster
With wireless
Download: .40mb/s
Upload: .15mb/s
Ping: 70ms

Ethernet
Download: .34mb/s
Upload: .15mb/s
Ping: 74ms

Lovely. Is anyone LOWER then me?

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Damn, my connection is the suck tonight. It's supposed to be a 2mbps connection. I'm running three downloads, getting around 70kB/sec between them (less than half what the connection should be able to sustain) and my browsing is slowed to a crawl.

* Mouse swears repeatedly *

Ollie

CF Legend
I'm not sure on what the results mean. Is the higher the number in the download and upload the faster the internet is?
Here's mine anyway.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
How can you not know what internet speeds mean...?

Anyway, here's mine at the new house:
1629242871.png