What's new

How do you like steak cooked?

How do you like steak cooked?

• Total voters
T

terrypippa

I eat only well-done steak, as the sight of red liquid or meat just doesn't sit well with me. The idea of a perfectly seared exterior and a consistent cooked-through interior is what truly appeals to my taste preferences. I find that well-done steak offers a comforting and familiar flavor profile that I've come to enjoy over the years, much like the satisfaction I get from crafting a delicious beef gravy recipe. The absence of any pinkness gives me the assurance that the meat is thoroughly cooked and safe to eat. While I respect that others have different preferences, I've found my culinary comfort zone with well-done steak and creating savory beef gravies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
There isn't an option for 'dirty'. Char grilled directly on hot coals til it's burnt to a crisp on the outside, but still pink in the middle. That's the way to do it ֊ caveman style. It's the future. I've tasted it.

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
I used to go to a restaurant where the chef used to refuse to cook the steaks well done. He bought high quality and considered it an insult to the steak.

The answer, as people say above, it depends on the cut. I’d never eat anywhere that just serves “steak” on the menu. It’ll be chewy crap.

fillets and the like I prefer rare. Ribeyes medium. The searing process is almost more important than how cooked though. US restaurants tend to be better at this on the whole than uk.

Wagyu is an odd one as it can either be the best thing you ever put in your mouth, or like eating slabs of butter.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I used to go to a restaurant where the chef used to refuse to cook the steaks well done. He bought high quality and considered it an insult to the steak.

The answer, as people say above, it depends on the cut. I’d never eat anywhere that just serves “steak” on the menu. It’ll be chewy crap.

fillets and the like I prefer rare. Ribeyes medium. The searing process is almost more important than how cooked though. US restaurants tend to be better at this on the whole than uk.

Wagyu is an odd one as it can either be the best thing you ever put in your mouth, or like eating slabs of butter.
Did you mean searing as in sealing the steak early in the cook? Because that's an old myth debunked long ago. (Honestly, look it up, it actually leads to greater loss of moisture and weight when tested due to the different cooking times.)

Or did you mean resting? A VERY important stage often skipped by too many restaurants here in the UK. But who can blame them when the general public in this country are actually stupid enough to complain that their steak isn't served pan hot after resting!!! (Believe me, I've had it too many times... We still rest them though, we just rest them under mild heat lamps.)

Honestly, I think it's resting that gets skipped most often in this country, resting IS proven (unlike sealing) to allow the juices to redistribute amongst the fibers, leading to a much more tender steak when it's finally cut into.

If you want to try for yourself, get 2 good quality, thick, identical (as possible) fillets, pre heat a pan nice and hot, do absolutely nothing fancy, just whack both steaks in 4 minutes (ish, depends on thickness) on each side for medium rare. Then, when cooked, eat into one straight away (or you could just cut the first one up if you don't want to eat it straight away, I 'think' the effect will be the same) whilst you loosely cover the other in foil and leave to rest for at least 5 minutes, 10 minutes or more is even better.... The difference between the two will blow you away... (And sorry, but you just ruined steak number 1)

If you're ever served a steak in a restaurant that looks cooked, but isn't red hot, don't send it back, enjoy every mouth full, the chef that just cooked for you cares, a lot. (And that's rare in the UK, no pun intended.)

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
Did you mean searing as in sealing the steak early in the cook? Because that's an old myth debunked long ago. (Honestly, look it up, it actually leads to greater loss of moisture and weight when tested due to the different cooking times.)

Or did you mean resting? A VERY important stage often skipped by too many restaurants here in the UK. But who can blame them when the general public in this country are actually stupid enough to complain that their steak isn't served pan hot after resting!!! (Believe me, I've had it too many times... We still rest them though, we just rest them under mild heat lamps.)

Honestly, I think it's resting that gets skipped most often in this country, resting IS proven (unlike sealing) to allow the juices to redistribute amongst the fibers, leading to a much more tender steak when it's finally cut into.

If you want to try for yourself, get 2 good quality, thick, identical (as possible) fillets, pre heat a pan nice and hot, do absolutely nothing fancy, just whack both steaks in 4 minutes (ish, depends on thickness) on each side for medium rare. Then, when cooked, eat into one straight away (or you could just cut the first one up if you don't want to eat it straight away, I 'think' the effect will be the same) whilst you loosely cover the other in foil and leave to rest for at least 5 minutes, 10 minutes or more is even better.... The difference between the two will blow you away... (And sorry, but you just ruined steak number 1)

If you're ever served a steak in a restaurant that looks cooked, but isn't red hot, don't send it back, enjoy every mouth full, the chef that just cooked for you cares, a lot. (And that's rare in the UK, no pun intended.)
I always rest the steak. Such an important step.

No when I call it seared I' not talking about sealing it. I'm not sure what the correct word is. Maybe caramelised? Where the edge of the steak is slightly blackened but the centre is juicy and pink? Rather than, as I've had many times, it looking almost as if the steak has been boiled because it doesn't have that nice crispness on the outside and just has the same uniform colour?

Also - we're such heathens in this country - not surprised the idiots send them back so often

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Bit of an unusual one this, but has anyone ever had a 'cryo-steak'? I've only ever seen it once, at a pub/steakhouse in north Shropshire which sadly is under new management and I don't think they do it anymore, but when I read the description I simply had to have it. I can't remember the cut - possibly ribeye? - but it was cooked as normal til medium rare. Then comes the cryo bit - it's either dunked or sprayed in liquid nitrogen until it's covered in little ice crystals and then, get this... it's deep fried!!
Oh my days... awesome!
The 'crust' goes all crispy and bubbly, bit like the pastry on a McDonald's apple pie, only salty and beefy and charred and delicious, but the inside stays juicy and tender. Amazeballs it was.
Good luck finding one, but if you ever see it on a menu anywhere, take it from me, order it!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I always rest the steak. Such an important step.

No when I call it seared I' not talking about sealing it. I'm not sure what the correct word is. Maybe caramelised? Where the edge of the steak is slightly blackened but the centre is juicy and pink? Rather than, as I've had many times, it looking almost as if the steak has been boiled because it doesn't have that nice crispness on the outside and just has the same uniform colour?

Also - we're such heathens in this country - not surprised the idiots send them back so often
I think the word is correct, don't worry, it's just a lot of people who do use that word seem to believe that searing meat seals in the juices, and thus produces the juicier steaks. That part is the myth. I was wrong to assume this is what you also meant.

Most places in the UK will sear their steaks. Not every restaurant will pan sear them though, lot's of places will cook them on a griddle, but as it's often a super hot flat griddle, not a flame / coal grill, it's technically still searing. (We use a Lincat Silverlink 600 dual zone steel grill, I fricken love that thing!!!!)

Searing does have a certain flavour profile and outer crust that a lot of people enjoy, myself included, but it's not the best way to get the juiciest, most tender, steaks. Grilling is best, over coal, but you need the right equipment, knowhow and experience to pull it off.