What's new

Holiday World owner Will Koch dies, 48

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Just saw this on the Gravity Group's facebook page:

http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=12643268
SANTA CLAUS, IN. (WFIE) - The owner of southern Indiana theme park Holiday World and Spashin' Safari Will Koch died overnight.

According to a press release issued by the theme park overnight, Koch died at home of what the family believes to be complications from diabetes.

He was 48.

I'm pretty gutted about the news - only a few weeks ago I was watching youtube videos about Holiday World installing Timberliner trains on the Voyage. He was so happy and completely with-it that this news comes straight out of left field. Happens to the best of us, I suppose.

Snoo

The Legend
Wow.. what horrible news. Will was a great guy who loved his park.. who was also a fantastic guy to talk to. Too bad..

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
This is just awful... Will was an awesome guy. That's going to be devastating for the park. He was the driving force between making the park as nice as it always was. I hope they're able to carry on with everything. Really terrible news...

Ben

CF Legend
That really sucks :( I've not been, but, you could tell how much he loved the park even without ever having been. Really sad.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Alongside Kennywood, I found Holiday World to be one of the most enchanting and "non-plastic" theme parks in the states when I visited back in 2007.

It had that lovely, friendly vibe to it, no heirs and graces, just lovable kookiness without pretension.

It does sadden me (especially as he died from diabetes, a condition I know a lot about) but its' reassuring that the statement says the family will continue to run it in his memory and style.

In some ways, it echos the death of Blackpool's Geoffrey Thompson - a man who loved his position and park. I just hope that Holiday World doesn't end up removing rides and adding fountains, somehow I doubt they will.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
This is so sad. This guy ran the park better than anyone ever could. Hopefully his successor will follow in his footsteps.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Will Koch's brother, Dan, is taking over as president.

Btw, is "Koch" pronounced "cock"? I'd hate to make a faux-pas in certain company.

Snoo

The Legend
I believe it's pronounced 'Kaw - ch'

Also.. his brother Dan has replaced him as President.. and apparently they communicated very often, so the transition shouldn't be too rough.