What's new

Highest G-Forces in the UK

Joey said:
I'd be intrigued to know more about Ultimate - like what on earth it's top speed is. I suspect it's no where near as fast as it feels though.

It's around 50mph, it feekls much faster because you're constantly low to the ground. I rode it twice last week for the firts time in around ten years and it seems to be a hell of a lot rougher in general and much slower through the last tunnel. Still a greta experience and so VERY, VERY forceful.

Sue Shaw said:
I've often seen people on this forum talking about blacking out - I'm sure I've never experienced this on a coaster myself so I'm gonna ask some silly questions.

Is it quite common then?
And what exactly does it feel like?
For me, my vision begins to go and there are patches/areas of my vision which turn white. I also feel a little light headed .

I get it, occasionally, on the entry of Nemesis Inferno's loop. I get small patches of white appearing. I also get it on almost all Arrow loops, particularly Revolution at Blackpool. And Intimidator 305 my vision almost completely goes white. All I can see are the tips of trees and some sky int he very top half of my vision on that one.

Possibly... I used to explain it on CF ages ago as white out, because my vision never turns black but white, and people used to be like stfu fool.

Whats the difference between this and a... black out? Are they just what different people experience, or are they different? There is no wiki page for blacking out. Does it not exist?

Might be worth noting that no other consciousness fails during this, only sight... Is that what a black out is? When everything, hearing and such, goes dead?

Here's an illustration of what I get on I305. By the time it crests that hill, my vision is almost completely gone and fades back to normal by just dissolving... not moving back down.

manbkaacn.jpg

It sounds like a grey out, only a grey out should kind of affect the outer edges and work inwards.

A black out (in your terms and in this context) is called a G-LOC (G-force Loss Of Conciousness). That's where everything goes, but the grey out occurs first.

You can counter it by tensing your legs hard before the problem area, narrowing the blood vessels and reducing blood loss to the brain :)

I'm wierd I get grey outs like this from getting up to fast, feeling violently sick or on Inferno or Mille. Its all dotty with a faded white. (More intense dots than this example but you get the idea)

Greyout.png

Just thought I'd get that in there as another example of grey out :--D

^ I get something very similar on Inferno too, occasionally, at the base of the loop. It's also what I get on Arrow loopers.

Never experienced the loss of vision on the outer edges.

If I ride Rage more than once I see black spots in my eyes, this is the only coaster that has ever done that to me.

I did gey out on Viper at SFMM, but I loved it :)

Thanks for your input on this, guys. I have now compiled the following list for my site, which I hope is accurate!

1. Boomerang - 5.2 - Pleasure Island, North East Lincolnshire
1. Wipeout - 5.2 - Pleasurewood Hills, Suffolk
2. Knightmare - 5.0 - Camelot Theme Park, Lancashire
3. Jubilee Odyssey - 4.8 - Fantasy Island, Lincolnshire
3. Stealth - 4.8 - Thorpe Park, Surrey
4. Rita - 4.7 - Alton Towers, Staffordshire
4. Kumali - 4.7 - Flamingo Land, North Yorkshire
4. Saw: The Ride - Thorpe Park, Surrey
5. Nemesis Inferno - 4.5 - Thorpe Park, Surrey
5. Oblivion - 4.5 - Alton Towers, Staffordshire
5. Speed: No Limits - 4.5 - Owakwood Theme Park, Pembrokeshire

As you say, it may not reflect prolonged intensity of ride enjoyment, but I think it's worth recognising maximum pulling power.

^ According to the excellent source of Wikipedia, it is much less than that at 2.5G, which makes much more sense and is most likely that or there abouts.

Looked about on other places, and it doesn't seem to state it, but I take the interwebz word for it.

Me and my brother have been around several parks with an accelerometer, but I have come up with the conclusion that most of the force values they post are way over what the rides really produce. The value also depends on the weather that day, where and how they measured the force on the ride.

So if you really wanted to make a list like this, then I would suggest that you get an accelerometer and measure it yourself. And you should mount the sensor the same way on all the coasters, like on the seat in the front row or something.

I have also come to the conclusion that most rides never really exceeds 4.5 g's, especially if you ignore the spikes...

^ Not those that are just noise, which most above 4.5 g's are...
And 4.5 isn't really sustained for that long, just a second or two.
Powerful helices are usually around 3.

Tom Green said:

I love this comment about nemesis
"Nemesis was Europe's first 'inverted' rollercoaster (capable of turning people upside down), "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

oh and nemesis inferno:
"For the geeks: it's the only inverted rollercoaster in the world with a set of interlocking corkscrews. For everyone else: it's like riding into a volcano"

riggght...

and stealth...
"Powered by rocket-style nitrogen boosters, this is Europe's second fastest (and - gasp! - third tallest) coaster, voted the UK's best."

vampire is a worlds first:
"If you add enough caveats, you can always make a world's first: here we have the world's first swinging, suspended, floorless rollercoaster"

rage:
"A design masterpiece "

probably the best of all on megafibia..
"The tallest wooden coaster in Europe"

the ultimate:
"British Rail oversaw the construction of The Ultimate, which explains why it's such a speedy, exciting ride."

how?

caffeine_demon said:
rage:
"A design masterpiece "

probably the best of all on megafibia..
"The tallest wooden coaster in Europe"

the ultimate:
"British Rail oversaw the construction of The Ultimate, which explains why it's such a speedy, exciting ride."

how?

Those three when I just read your post made me laugh so loudly...I read them on the site but they didn't make me laugh then, I'm just imagining your reaction to the statements.

Well rides where you can really feel sheer forces on you for me are accelerator/launched coasters and Vekoma Boomerangs. At certain points on things like Nemesis, you legs feel very heavy but not your whole body like the two other rides I just mentioned.

I've been trying to research which roller coasters produce the highest g-forces in the UK.

I've found that Jubilee Odyssey and Stealth tie for first place at 4.8g each. Does anyone know of a roller coaster that produces more? Only interested in coasters, not flat rides.

Thanks.
Highest g force coaster in the uk is wipe out at pleasurewod hills, hits more intense than stealth, rita, oblivion and the smiler