What's new

Hex - The Movie

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Don't know if it's been posted but

SPECIAL auditions are to be held for the starring role in a film about a famous North Staffordshire legend.
The story of the Chained Oak, in Alton, is to be turned into a film by ghosthunter Dean Maynard.
The Alton Towers attraction Hex – The Legend Of The Towers is based on the story of the oak tree, which is one of the county's most famous fables.
And Dean, below, hopes to begin filming the low budget documentary-style film in January in time for it to be released next Halloween.
Local actors have been invited to audition for parts in January, but the 37-year-old said they will be kept in suspense about the plot. He hopes the film will be shown in cinemas across the country – with its premiere taking place in Staffordshire.
The legend focuses on a curse on a former Earl of Shrewsbury, who once lived at Alton Towers. And Dean first became fascinated with the tale after a visit to the theme park.
The film will shot around the Chained Oak Farm and at the nearby Alton Towers resort.
Dean, who lives in County Durham but has family in North Staffordshire, said: "The film was originally planned for 2007 but, due to time and cash restraints, the project was put on hold for two years. We are now raring to go.
"The film will be a cross between the Blair Witch Project and new horror film Paranormal Activity.
"Chained Oak Farm will make a fantastic backdrop. We want to start as soon as possible because we want the scenes to look autumnal."
Liz Bradley, who runs a bed and breakfast business at Chained Oak Farm, said experts had estimated the tree was about 1,000 years old.
It is rapidly deteriorating and had recently lost another couple of branches.
Liz admits she would not stand under it, but only because it is rotting so badly.
She said: "The tree does create a lot of interest among our guests and we get a lot of visitors, especially from people who have been on Hex.
"I had some people who took some stones from near the tree, but sent them back because they were having a lot of bad luck.
"I believe the legend. It would be super if a film was made."
A spokesman for Alton Towers added: "We look forward to watching the famous legend turned into a film."

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/got-Hex-Factor/article-1510423-detail/article.html

I hope it's not as bad as the ride.

Mark

Strata Poster
Excellent news.

The ride has a fantastic story and having a film based upon that story is a major boost for the park and the attraction. It is one of my favourite themed attractions in the UK. Ok, so we might not be looking at a Pirates of the Carribean type deal here but still, it will definately be a great marketing tie-in for Alton Towers.

I hope it all goes to plan and we do indeed see it in the cinemas (instead of anything straight to DVD).

Fingers crossed they include some sections of the score, since it is very instrumental (pardon the very bad pun) in the story and effect of the ride. It would definately be a nice nod to the ride!

Lucy

Hyper Poster
I guess everyone has their own opinions but to me Hex is fantastic and even though I've been on it loads of times, I never get bored of it :)

Anyway, I hope this film gets made as I'd definitely go and see it.

Ben

CF Legend
Yep, I LOVE Hex, and I've been going on it God knows how many times since the year it opened!

Jake

Strata Poster
Uhh... yeah. Don't play that game - a lot of the members here (including myself) have probably ridden Hex just as many, if not more times than you have in your 14 years of existance, and we still love it!

I look forward to seeing this.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
This is fantastic! :)

I love Hex and pretty much everything about it. I think its one of our best themed ride and probally most unique ride story in the UK. Can't wait for this! :D

Ollie

CF Legend
I love the idea of this but anyone can make an amateur film like this. The quality of video in the pre-show room that tells the story is great and is able to tell the story in a couple of minutes. Although because it says this will be a documentary style film. It probably will be the sort of thing you see on BBC.
Will have to see how it turns out.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Go on then Ollie, if anyone can make a film of it you can too... :roll:
Of course the film in the ride is of great production value because Tussauds bankrolled it when they still had imagination... This one will not be of the same scale and will probably go into more depth than the 3 minute pre-show...

Sounds cool, but I sense maybe a straight-to-DVD affair would be more likely, either that or a low-key cinema showing in the smaller ones...

Good on the man who's doing it though...

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Think it could be great. Hex. Is amazing, and I have to agree with Ben. Not liking it is wrong. A film could potentialy be amazing if they get if right and it fullfills it's potential. Hopefully it will get a bigish release.

yinyang

Mega Poster
Ben said:
Yep, I LOVE Hex, and I've been going on it God knows how many times since the year it opened!

I'm the same. Do you not find that a lot of people seem to put it down but I like it. But i always find myself in groups when at Alton Towers that say, "nah" or "its rubbish lets skip it" etc. :(

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
This sounds epic, I love Hex and a 'low budget documentary style film' sounds very appealing!

No doubt this will be sold in the park as well, there should be no reason why it shouldn't be. Supporting local actors and things like that. I'm looking forward to it very much! Initially I thought it was going to be a massive film, that I couldn't see working, but this I think is very cool indeed.