What's new

Head banging help

forrestc

Roller Poster
So, I've been riding 'big bad' coasters for not all that long now - although I guess I've probably ridden more than the average non-coaster fan (46 coasters, and several with numerous rides, and yes some big bad(good?) ones.) in my short experience.

The biggest problem I run into where I walk away from a ride not happy is where the ride is banging my head between the OSTR, often due to roughness of the ride or lateral ride elements. Sometimes it's so bad I wonder if I'm going to walk away with a concussion as a result.

I'm wondering if there is something I'm doing 'wrong' here. I'll give you an unrelated example - I've noticed that the way I place my hands/arms on/around a B&M restraint has a drastic difference in the feel of the ride airtime-wise. Discovered this quite by accident on about the 4th ride on Sheikra at Busch Gardens Tampa (Africa?).

Unfortunately I'm not about to endurance ride any of the head-bangers to try to figure out what to do - although I will say I have definitely learned that placing my fingers between my head and the ostr lets me bang my head on my somewhat softer fingers instead of the OSTR.

Ideas?

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
Your having this problem on B&M coaster? Anyway I usually just push my head to one side or stiffen up my neck.

Snoo

The Legend
What Ben said.. hold thy head back. I do agree with him jjjjustin.. I've had problems with headbanging quite often on B&M's.

nadroJ

CF Legend
It always confuses me that on the signs outside rides they usually say 'keep your head back', but I find that more often than not this leads to painful riding.

I'd do a Ben and stick my head out ;]

forrestc

Roller Poster
Statistically it seems that B&M's are smooth enough that I don't bang my head around that much - I can deal with being thrown into the restraint, although I will admit that "semi-endurance riding" something like Kraken (SeaWorld) or Montu (Busch) near the end of the day can be pretty harsh in the last few elements/loops when everything is small and tight. My favorite coasters are almost all B&M's most likely due to the lack of the headbanging I've talked about. Although I seem to recall that the one ride on Kumba at Bush Gardens was not all that great - of course I then went and rode Sheikra about a half-dozen more times with no problems.

The one that definitely comes to mind, just because of how fresh the memory is, is the horrible coaster at New York New York in Vegas. I don't ever want to get back on that ride again. It was bad enough that I don't even remember most of the ride other than trying to keep from getting a concussion. I got off realizing I didn't even have a chance to realize I was in a loop - although I really don't know how anything as *slow* as that is for a good part of the ride can bash you around so much.

I think maybe what I've been doing wrong is trying to keep my head centered between the restraints, which now I think about it and hearing what you guys do is probably the wrong thing - anchoring it on one side or the other makes some sense since I can probably put a bit of constant pressure that way as opposed to continually overcorrecting. I also know that for instance revolution at SFMM is one where I got beat up (and sick) pretty badly - and people say the trick on that one is to keep your head out and away mainly because it was designed without restraints. I'll probably find a 'tolerable' headbanger somewhere and ride a few times to figure out what works for me.

-forrest

Mike

Giga Poster
From all the B&Ms I've done, I think I've only really encountered head banging on their Stand Up coasters, so I'm quite intrigued on what B&Ms people are experiencing these problems on. :?

I think the best way to try and stop head banging is by doing what Ben said and keep your head forward infront of the restraints. If you're struggling to do this (such as on an SLC), I think your best option is to do what you already do and hold the restraints by your head and hope for the best!

Purplepoplis

Roller Poster
I have no issues, except on B&M stand up coasters (simply lean into the restraints), and Hopkins Looping coasters. There is one at Adventureland in Iowa that sends you through back to back and insanely rough helixes that both send your head boggling. People tend to come off the ride looking drunk! I have ridden it numerous times and have no solution

I find pushing back into the seat helps more than sticking my head out, because one time when I stuck my neck out on Wicked Twister, the second I got off the ride I got a sharp pain up my back and neck that caused me to fall, so I don't ever stick my head out anymore. You shouldn't be getting too much headbanging on a B&M though, especially if you're sitting near the front!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Cue photo of Stone Cold with an earful of blood after riding Dreamcatcher at Bobby Jobby Land...

I've never suffered from B&Ms I'm afaraid, but despise Eurofighters. They don't make my head physically bash the sides, but instead make my brain vibrate inside my skull. It's very unpleasant. However, pushing my head back into the seat helps limits the problem. Apparently, taller people seem to experience these bad vibrations more often.