What's new

Have any coasters gotton stuck upside down

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
Zoomerang has once or twice to my knowledge. Happened on Xcoaster at Magic Springs and has happened multiple other times on Maurer Sohne pieces of crap.
That horrid Mumbo Jumbo S&S power piece of crap also got stuck upside down.
An inverted coaster locked upside down in heavy winds in china

Usually when huge gusts blow coaster trains the emergency brakes on the trains lock them to the track so the ride cannot continue to move if for some reason part of the track may be in danger of collapse.
Ill keep you updated if i find more.

Xpress

Strata Poster
I know some rides have anti-rollback measures implemented into the trains. Expedition GeForce has some small material that catches on the track if the train rolls back and forces itself under the wheels.

msep003

Roller Poster
Remember the former Sirrocco at Walibi Wavres has been stuck Upside down for while one day back in 1997 !!!!

2947230141_1_5.jpg

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ A couple of years ago, its name was changed to Turbine a while before closing, its been SBNO for years, but they're re-opening it next year! Yay.

ry1996

Mega Poster
I wonder what its like to be stuck upside down for hours ? i remember the flamingo land one very much

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
dropthefloor93 said:
Usually when huge gusts blow coaster trains the emergency brakes on the trains lock them to the track so the ride cannot continue to move if for some reason part of the track may be in danger of collapse.

Ah, no. Not this.

metalhead7

Mega Poster
It. Normally happens when something goes wrong with the wheels or axles, that whole wind gust thing sounds like total crap

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Well gusts of wind can make the trains stall, but there aren't mechanisms in place to 'stop the train if it does roll back. My guess would be that most* situations when the trains comes to a stop at a high point is because of a wheel/axle problem. As the train slows down to the top of the element then the force from the faulty part dominates and stops the train. If it's gusts of wind the trains tend to valley.

*I say 'most' as I can remember that TTD incident where it stopped at the top and the guy had to climb up the tower and just push it over the edge. That was a weird one. There probably are a few more examples of stuff like that, but the TTD one is the most memorable.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^I think the TTD one has happened more than once, thankfully for the mechanic there was an elevator. I will go with metalhead on this one, granted a wheel typically won't cause this to happen, but say a wheel that goes on too long broken and causes a broken axle or the chassis to brake. Then it becomes a real possibility it will stall someplace.

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
The Anaconda at Kings Dominion got stuck upside down many years ago. I forget how long the people were stuck for but it was quite a while.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
*I say 'most' as I can remember that TTD incident where it stopped at the top and the guy had to climb up the tower and just push it over the edge. That was a weird one. There probably are a few more examples of stuff like that, but the TTD one is the most memorable.

Sod being that guy. there may be a lift but standing on that platform must be pretty nerve racking.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I doubt it on Boomerangs - there's not really much to go wrong is there?
As for Vekoma inverts - the only one I've been on drew blood, so I wouldn't be surprised if they spontaneously fall apart, let alone get stuck